Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Thumbs down Haycock Hollow Arms

The Haycock Hollow arms shop just for a little background is owned by a Husband and wife I forget their names. The Husband deals with the long barrels arms, shotguns, rifles, ETC. The wife deals with all the handguns. Well I was at a gun show at the United States Reserve Armory on RT. 1 in Philadelphia, PA. I seen a real sweet Springfield XD .40 compact on the table From Haycock Hollow Arms. I really liked it, so I got the talking with the wife about the firearm, she really knew her stuff. She gave me a complete run down about the entire weapon from top to bottom. I liked what she had to say and the price was $529.98 out the door. So I said "Start the paperwork" and she did. I whip out a personal check, the husband see's it right away and actually yelled at me saying they absolutley do not 100% accept checks. Okay, whatever, I had my bank debit card, So now one of the employee's is doing my paperwork. I give him all my info. Now it is time for payment. I give the man my card he swipes it, waits for approval, doesn't get it "apparently", He swipes it a second time and gets it, I think everything is just peachy keen. I got my new gun, I am happy, it's a great day. On my way home I go to get some cash out of the ATM for when I go to work the next day. "Insufficient funds," I say hmmm... okay, maybe I went over my daily limit for my card which is 400$ in one day. So the following morning I try again, same thing. So I go to work borrow some cash from a buddy and call the bank. My account was charged twice for one gun by Haycock Hollow Arms. So I figure, simple mistake, I can get it fixed. So on my lunch break I call Haycock Hollow Arms on the phone. I get the wife on the horn, tell her whats happened she asks me to hold, she comes back and says I just went through my account and I only have one transaction worth of money for $529.98 she starts to explain that my bank may be holding the money in a different account, I said okay, let me call the bank back. I thought forget it, took the rest of the day off and actually went to the bank to figure this out. I sit down with my bank rep and she pulled everything up and literally showed me the screen where double transaction went to Haycock Hollow Arms for $1,059.96 all toll. So I call the wife back she keeps telling me the same thing, saying she doesn't have my money. I explained that I seen both transaction go to her account with my own eyes from my bank rep. Her husband now gets on the phone, we go back and forth a little bit, his final words were, "prove it asshole" (DIRECT QUOTE) and he hangs up on me. So I went back to the bank and had to file and unauthorized usage claim on my account to get the money back. Apparently there is a 30 day period for the company to fix the problem before my bank would actually take legal action. I kid you not, I got my money back on the 29th day after I filed that claim. I believe they tried to steal my money, $529.98 may not be a lot of money to some people, but it is to me. I actually had to pay my mortgage the following week and was $500 short. I even explained that to the wife over the phone about my mortgage and she, knowingly having my money, said it wasn't her problem so stop crying her the blues. When it comes to guns, they do know what they are talking about. They have a fairly good selection and fairly good prices, When they charge you once. But I could not believe the way I was treated about this money. I actually had called the wife on the phone the day after I got my money back and asked her what the problem was. She said she has nothing to say to me and I should not contact her again.

Soooo onto my solution...The next gun show at the same armory, I made a sign on poster board "Haycock Hollow Arms tried to steal my money just ask me how." and I stood right across from their table. Boy were they not enthused.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Haycock Hollow Arms

Thats awsome good for you, i hate when people make a simple mistake and then try to screw you when you catch it. makes you wonder why they dont take check's doesnt it.

I would travel to all the shows they are at, and hang my sign at all of them.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by joeybagadonutzz View Post

Soooo onto my solution...The next gun show at the same armory, I made a sign on poster board "Haycock Hollow Arms tried to steal my money just ask me how." and I stood right across from their table. Boy were they not enthused.
    That's funny... good for you.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Philadelphia County)

I do what is right...People should never feel scared or ashamed to do anything like that. A fist fight did almost break out but only because when the husband tried to talk to me I just ignored him and held my sign as high as I could. I was hoping he did hit me because I would have definitely pressed charges. He made my month an inconvenience from one day so I made his, he losy a lot of money that day.

(Bucks County)

Thumbs up Re: Haycock Hollow Arms

While I'm not intending to discredit the OP at all, every story does have at least two sides. I have dealt with Paul and Amy from Haycock for years now, and have NEVER had less then a 110% positive experience.

The truth is that anyone who takes a personal check for payment at a gun show is taking a HUGE risk - I have yet to find a vendor who will accept a check besides the local Giant Food Store.

I have also had problems using my debit card for large purchases (parts for my Camaro from Jegs - double billed - took forever to get the funds back) but this was NOT the fault of the vendor - they truely only got one payment, but a hold was placed on the funds twice. There is no way to avoid this, and because of this I will only use a credit card to insulate my deposit accounts.

Honestly, because they are a "mom and pop" shop, they try to keep their costs down for their clients...I haven't found a better price on anything I have purchased from Haycock...ever. If they had to provide purchase protection for every possible banking glitch, they would have to raise their prices to cover this. I for one prefer a shop that is willing to pass their savings along to the customer...

Again, the OP could be perfectly in the right - but based on my experince with Haycock, they are a great couple to do business with and will continue to see me as a customer.

(Lackawanna County)

$500 is alot of money for anyone these days. good for you getting your money back. the husband sounds like an asshole. if you make a mistake, just own up to it.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    $500 is alot of money for anyone these days. good for you getting your money back. the husband sounds like an asshole. if you make a mistake, just own up to it.
    That is it exactly. The right thing to do is to look into it. The times that I have seen this happenening was the times when there was deciept involved. It was not necessary or professional to talk rudely to the OP.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by joeybagadonutzz View Post

Remind me to NEVER piss you off!

Great Job! I wish you could have taken pictures - For a MasterCard Priceless Ad - or one of the DeMotivational Posters ...

"Don't F*** around with $500 of Joey's money for a Month
    or you will lose $5000 worth of Business in two days"

I am not sure where to begin...
    I have known the company (HHA) for well over a decade now. They are anything but thieves and liars and although the husbanancan be abrasive, he is a stand up man who obviously thought you were trying to swindle him.
    What is is equally sad and obvious here is that this was a mistake by the credit card machine/company or possibly the store owner. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to swipe my card more than once and yes, I have been charged twice. Simply, these things happen.
    I understand you were upset that you didn't get the response you wanted from HHA that day that you called them. But why would you expect them to credit your account without investigating the claim properly? Why do you think they have 30 days to do so. I bet the husband was rude to you but it is very clear you were ignorant.
    I am so sad for them that they had to endure the heartless and selfish harassment you inflicted upon them publicly. Attacking their busiess and livelihood the way you did. I get that we have freedom of speech in this country but you callously hurt a hardworking and decent American family over what was likely a malfunctioning credit card machine.
    You should be sued for slander. Your behavior is shameful and goes far beyond that of a spoiled brat. By creating this post you continue to hurt these people. You got your money back. It is time you stop being an indecent human being. If it is possible, you ought delete this post.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by devan View Post
    I am not sure where to begin...
    I have known the company (HHA) for well over a decade now. They are anything but thieves and liars and although the husbanancan be abrasive, he is a stand up man who obviously thought you were trying to swindle him.
    What is is equally sad and obvious here is that this was a mistake by the credit card machine/company or possibly the store owner. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to swipe my card more than once and yes, I have been charged twice. Simply, these things happen.
    I understand you were upset that you didn't get the response you wanted from HHA that day that you called them. But why would you expect them to credit your account without investigating the claim properly? Why do you think they have 30 days to do so. I bet the husband was rude to you but it is very clear you were ignorant.
    I am so sad for them that they had to endure the heartless and selfish harassment you inflicted upon them publicly. Attacking their busiess and livelihood the way you did. I get that we have freedom of speech in this country but you callously hurt a hardworking and decent American family over what was likely a malfunctioning credit card machine.
    You should be sued for slander. Your behavior is shameful and goes far beyond that of a spoiled brat. By creating this post you continue to hurt these people. You got your money back. It is time you stop being an indecent human being. If it is possible, you ought delete this post.

This was posted 8 years ago by a person who was banned for other reasons. He cannot delete his post, and nor will it be deleted.

It is also not slander if there are circumstances of improprieties, which a double billing is very well a possible impropriety, regardless of whether it was intentional or not.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast