Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Armstrong County)

Default Phony trooper incidents in 3 counties put police on alert

Default Re: Phony trooper incidents in 3 counties put police on alert

Phony trooper incidents in 3 counties put police on alert
    By Paul Peirce
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, March 28, 2009

Recent incidents involving a police impersonator in three Southwestern Pennsylvania counties have area law enforcement authorities on alert.

"We are advising people to be cautious and remain alert when being stopped by what appears to be an unmarked police vehicle," said Trooper John Matchik of Somerset.

According to Matchik, the most recent incident occurred about 9:30 p.m. Thursday when a man impersonating a police officer pulled over a woman on Route 219 in Richland Township, Cambria County. When the woman reached in her glove box for her owner's card and insurance papers, the man reportedly struck the woman in the head.

The woman pretended she was knocked unconscious, and the man drove away. The woman, who was not identified, then telephoned police.

She declined medical treatment, police said.

"Because of the two previous incidents, one in Bedford County on March 9 and another early March 18 on Route 56 in Ogle Township (Somerset County), we sent numerous patrol units toward that incident (Thursday) and saturated the area," Matchik said.

However, the impersonator was not caught.

Matchik and Cpl. John Mowery of Bedford said police don't know whether the same man was involved in all three incidents. However, in each case the impersonator has targeted women drivers.

On March 9, Mowery said a woman was driving east on Route 56, just past the Somerset County border into Bedford County, at about 9:30 p.m. when a car following her activated red and yellow emergency lights. She pulled over and the man approached her car, identifying himself as a state trooper.

He told the woman her taillight was not working and took her driver's information back to his car, a Dodge Neon with a dark pinstripe on the side.

When the man returned, he gave back the woman's cards and asked her to get out of the vehicle, Mowery said. She refused and drove away.

He followed the woman, who then turned around and eluded him.

The man was described as 6 feet tall with dark hair and a crew cut. He wore black pants with a yellow stripe and a black, long-sleeved button-up shirt with a badge pinned to it. The words "State Trooper" were embroidered on the shirt.

"He also had a diamond stud earring in his right ear," Mowery said.

Matchik credited publicity after the first incident with helping a woman involved in a second incident, also on Route 56 in Windber, at 3 a.m. March 18. When that victim left the Windber area, she noticed a smaller vehicle following her. The driver activated red and yellow or red and amber-colored lights.

"The victim subsequently did not pull over and continued to travel eastbound where she managed to lose the suspect. She was unable to obtain any other vehicle information on the suspect's vehicle," Matchik said.

"In light of these incidents we have been proactive in our investigative efforts with increased patrols with marked and unmarked vehicles. We plan to continue with these patrols in an effort to apprehend a subject," he said.

Matchik suggested that drivers activate four-way hazard lights to signal an officer that they are complying with a request to pull over.

"If you have a cell phone, call 911 and ask the dispatcher to verify that it is an officer attempting to pull you over. Motorists should also drive to a well-lighted or public area where there are people present," he said.

"People should trust their instincts ... use common sense. If they don't seem like a real police officer, they probably are not," he said.

He noted that state police cruisers have red and blue lights. Yellow or amber lights are used in construction or highway maintenance activity.

Anyone with information may telephone state police at 814-445-4104

(Armstrong County)

No good. No good at all. More police patrols. Now ill be even later to work.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepyromaniak View Post
    No good. No good at all. More police patrols. Now ill be even later to work.
    Sorry you might be late for work. Isn't it worth it if it can protect someone?

(Monroe County)

"People should trust their instincts ... use common sense. If they don't seem like a real police officer, they probably are not," he said.
    ok guys and gals. Teach your daughters (and wives) what to do in these types of situations. NEVER pull over for an unmarked car in a secluded area. NEVER roll your window down all the way down. NEVER unlock your doors unless you are certain it is a real cop. NEVER pull over for a car that does not have flashing headlights (even unmarked cars have them).

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tootie View Post
    ok guys and gals. Teach your daughters (and wives) what to do in these types of situations. NEVER pull over for an unmarked car in a secluded area. NEVER roll your window down all the way down. NEVER unlock your doors unless you are certain it is a real cop. NEVER pull over for a car that does not have flashing headlights (even unmarked cars have them).
    don't forget the light color...i have NEVER heard of police using yellow/amber lights on their bars...also the story mentions a dodge neon...if it ain't a dodge charger/chevy impala/ford crown vic I'm ignoring you completely

on that note, has anyone come across police forces that use unmarked Chrysler 300's? i swear the other day i was behind one that had a LED bar in the back window...
    Last edited by RJT; March 29th, 2009 at 09:38 AM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    don't forget the light color...i have NEVER heard of police using yellow/amber lights on their bars...also the story mentions a dodge neon...if it ain't a dodge charger/chevy impala/ford crown vic I'm ignoring you completely

on that note, has anyone come across police forces that use unmarked Chrysler 300's? i swear the other day i was behind one that had a LED bar in the back window...
    I, uh, might know someone who was pulled over for 77 in a 55 by an unmarked white Dodge Charger near Tunkhannock. Had the red/blue lights and flashing headlights...

Maybe you saw an unmarked Charger and not a 300C?
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Somerset County)

Yep , that's hitting my neck of the woods . Hope they remove him soon.
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post

Seen a Dodge neon unmarked in Oakland. They exist.

(Lackawanna County)

Yep...Chrysler 300's, unmarked in cream and metallic blue colors, with the INSIDE LED strobe bars, front and back. If you get pulled over by one of these things, you'll know it, since they light up like an airport with all the lights that they have. There was a fleet buy of 300 Dodge Magnum wagons, PSP got 100, the others went to departments around the state. There are some Calibers, Excursions, but most of the unmarked Neons should be gone by now.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."