Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reloading #101

(Allegheny County)

Default Reloading #101

I've been kicking around the idea of reloading, as it's starting to get expensive buying ammo even in bulk anymore. I know nothing about reloading and would need to watch someone do it. But my question is this. What components and the average cost of said components do you need for a complete reloading operation. I'd like to reload these cals.
    9mm,357,38,.223,30-06,308,380
    Money is no object, at least not one I possess alot of. So I'm looking to get the most bang for my buck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(Philadelphia County)

I would be interested in a reloading 101 from an experienced reloader as well. It's one of those things that I will get into eventually but just keep avoiding due to intimidation about lack of knowledge / what to buy.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Allegheny County)

Class is filling up. Glad to see I'm not alone on this.

I reload, but not a lot because I have quite the ammo stash. I would say if you want to reload for pistol calibers and 223 to buy a progressive loader because you can load hundreds of rounds per hour. A good progressive press is the Hornday Lock N Load or the Dillon 550/650.

For a single stage press, I would recommend the RCBS Rockchucker...has a lifetime warranty just like the Dillon. I'm not sure of Hornady's warranty, but I hear some prefer them over the Dillon.

For best bang for the buck, I'd say anything Lee has to offer. You can buy a single stage reloading kit for around $75.

For dies I only use Redding dies...I have heard so many reloaders say that Redding are the best...RCBS dies are suppose to be good too. Once again, Lee dies will be cheap (under $20) for die set.

For me...if I want to reload in quanity I would suggest a progressive press...for example the Dillon 550 is rated at 500-600 rounds/hour, while the 650 is rated 800-1000...keep in mind I never heard of a reloader that could reload that many rounds in an hour with any Dillon.

Dillon
    http://dillonprecision.com/default.cfm?

Hornady Lock N Load
    http://hornady.com/

RCBS
    http://rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=1

Redding
    http://www.redding-reloading.com/

Good reloading forum/information
    http://www.reloadersnest.com/rifle.asp

I would say that reloading for pistols will save the most money...1lb of powder can load hundreds of 9mm. I buy in bulk to save even more money...I normally buy 8lb containers of powder.

This information should get you started in the right direction.

FYI, I would highly recommend buying a good reloading manual...I like the Sierra manual because it has pistol and rifle information. I also like the Hornday manual as well.

(Allegheny County)

PLR16, if you want to come buy the house some time, I would be glad to give a demo so to speak. I reload both rifle and pistol on a single stage and can show you the steps. PM me if you are interested.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks 41, I appreciate the invite. I can use all the help I can get.

(Armstrong County)

IMO the best "how to" instructions are in bullet company manuals. Speer is a good one for the price.

For starting out I got a Lee Anniversary kit and 1 Lee die set. This will cost around $100. Some folks will recommend much more expensive equipment for beginners but IMO it's better to learn on the cheap stuff then make informed upgrades tailored to the way you are loading.

Cost per round you need primer, bullet, and powder. Primer and bullet are easy to figure. Powder cost = (charge weight/7000)*cost per pound. You also may need to figure in something for brass cost depending on where you are getting it from and how hot you load it. Worst case for brass would be about 5 loadings but other loads brass will last near indefinitely. Autoloaders aren't worth reloading for unless the brass is dirt cheap/free or you are able to collect it all up after firing.

Couple my loads I've costed as follows:

9x19 +p 124gr Hornady XTP. $0.15 per round. Hornady charge ~$0.50 each for similar loaded ammo.
    Primer $0.02, bullet $0.11, powder $0.02 brass once fired pickups free.

9x19 +p 124gr Remington HP. $0.09 per round. Cheaper than WWB from Walmart
    Primer $0.02, bullet $0.05, powder $0.02 brass once fired pickups free.

.357 140gr Hornady XTP. $0.21 per round.
    Primer $0.02, bullet $0.12, powder $0.05 brass $0.10/5 loadings.

.357 140gr Remington HP. $0.11 per round.
    Primer $0.02, bullet $0.06, powder $0.02 brass $0.10/10 loadings.

Now a caution. Reloading is an interesting compliment to shooting but it will not save you any money. You'll just shoot more If it gets you bad you'll start buying more guns because you need new reloading projects

(Dauphin County)

"Now a caution. Reloading is an interesting compliment to shooting but it will not save you any money. You'll just shoot more If it gets you bad you'll start buying more guns because you need new reloading projects" <--appears to be an exaggeration but I'm proof of the theory! I've purchased more than one pistol and/or rifle just cuz I was intrigued with some aspect of reloading for it.
    I started off reloading shotgun rounds with my grandpa's old MEC. When I was old enough to get into pistols I was forced to pickup some used or borrowed equipment just to be able to afford to shoot them.

A Dillon is my recommendation when you have money to throw into the hobby but until then you can begin picking up the some of the basics that you will use every day. A Lee press set is inexpensive and will get you going. Buy a bullet manufacture's book first and start reading. I wore out my 1st Speer manual way before I ever got a chance to reload for pistol or rifles. Some of my favorite guns use loads I cannot purchase or if I could purchase..I couldn't afford.

(Union County)

For some calibers the only way you can afford to shoot em is to roll your own. Some examples would be my .416 Rigby rifle, I box of 20 shells sell for around $150.00. That makes for some pretty expensive shooting.
    My 500 S&W would cost around $35.00 for 12 rounds.

I don't waste time reloading rounds like 9mm, 40 S&W, or 38 Special as I buy them in bulk for about price as reloading.

Get a good press, carbide dyes, a couple of reloading manuals, a scale, etc and visit a few of the ammuntion or bullet manufacturers sites.

grizz

(Allegheny County)

Been reloading since 1971,
    If you think that you are really going to get into it (shoot a lot) do'nt go cheap you will eventually buy the other stuff anyway - you will save money in the long run. If you do'nt know if you are going to like it or not go with the Lee single stage stuff.
    I never loaded to save money (I'm not a rich man either), that's just a plus for me. I load for accuracy for pistol and accuracy especially for rifle. I also load for reduced pressure in the over & unders, not for recoil (although reloading for shotgun can be a great recoil reducer) but to increase the life of the gun. I have around 35,000 rounds out of my 525 and still very very tight. I shoot a 7/8 oz. and a 1 1/8 oz. load that you can shoot all week in a T-shirt. For auto shotguns you have to load them up to about 8,000 psi (very light recoil in an automatic) to operate the bolt (that should operate most of them).
    You will always need a good single stage press, I use a RCBS Rock Chucker for accurate rifle reloading and getting the right load for handguns. You can buy a lot of stuff if you get in deep to rifle accuracy some rifles can drive you nuts. You wou'nt need all of the neck reamers, flash hole uniformers, primer pocket uniformers, etc. until you really develop the sickness. About 10 years ago I finally purchased a Dillon XL 650 for loading handgun after I develop a good load, only buy that if you shoot a lot of handgun, I mean a lot. Oh, what a machine you can really pump em out. You can use any manufacturers dies with the XL650, you can only use Dillon 550 dies with the 550 (They may have changed that-not sure) Dillon and RCBS also have a no "BS" warranty, just call them up an they will send you what ever you need for free (I've done it many times).
    How to reload at http://www.rcbs.com/guide/printsteps.html. Go to the powder manufacturers sites for free reloading recipes - Hodgon, Dupont, Alliant etc.
    Hope this helps,

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast