Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: Game Officer harassment

good for you Michele, those guys are always over stepping!!! rep to you !!
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

The Game Commission is one of the few departments/agencies in the state that will not honor any previous ACT 120 certification you may have. Even if you decide to transfer over from the Pa. State Police you must go through their entire academy. And the first part of the academy is Act 120, before you even get to the wildlife laws. As far as their authority to do what they did, I don't know? But they must be 120 certified before the can arrest/serve warrants or do a car stop out in the field. They must do the annual updates also.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
    Wow that was harsh........ What "HE" did was not right , but no reason to attack his position/job. Wildlife officer have all the authority of a police officer in the state of PA and in most states. They, by the nature of the individuals they deal with are almost 100% gaurenteed to be dealing with an armed person ( hunters ). They have every right to be called and respected as a law enforcement officer. Because this one or two officers questioned a person that was admittedly printing you call them a "wannabe". I would be worried if they didnt question a person with a concealed weapon in a fast food resturant. Im not trying to start a fight here , im just saying these guys deserve repect for the job they do. They go through 6 months of trainning to become wildlife officers the same amount of time a police officer goes through. They may not focus on everything a police officer does , but I dont see a LEO out on the river or tromping through the woods checking that people are complying with laws.
    Anyone can ask you question. You do not need to answer them. Respect is earned and not freely given. There is a difference in courtesy and respect.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Franklin County)

Wow that was harsh........ What "HE" did was not right , but no reason to attack his position/job. Wildlife officer have all the authority of a police officer in the state of PA and in most states. They, by the nature of the individuals they deal with are almost 100% gaurenteed to be dealing with an armed person ( hunters ). They have every right to be called and respected as a law enforcement officer. Because this one or two officers questioned a person that was admittedly printing you call them a "wannabe". I would be worried if they didnt question a person with a concealed weapon in a fast food resturant. Im not trying to start a fight here , im just saying these guys deserve repect for the job they do. They go through 6 months of trainning to become wildlife officers the same amount of time a police officer goes through. They may not focus on everything a police officer does , but I dont see a LEO out on the river or tromping through the woods checking that people are complying with laws.
    That's really irrelevant to this situation. While I certainly don't recommend that folks respond in this manner, an identical response would have been just as valid and accurate if made to a PSP trooper.

LEOs cannot simply 'just check' on LTCF status if they see a firearm. They must have RAS of a criminal act. Standing in line at Burger King (even while armed) violates no law, nor does giving a little attitude when you're inappropriately confronted.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lancaster County)

Wildlife CO's receive 51 weeks of trainning. A huge portion of that is ACT 120 training. They do not receive the cerification because their authority comes from Title 34 sec 901 sub 17. This gives them the powers of policing.
    Now as far as respect. Their position deserves respect right off the bat. They put their lives on the line everyday where you respect the individual is up to you. IF his encounter went down AS described they were jerks. They do have the authority of a police officer though and are treated as such in a court of law. Break the law in front of them and they can drag you to jail just a easily.
    No longer posting

(Monroe County)

Now as far as respect. Their position deserves respect right off the bat.
    Sorry to disagree here, but no, a position does not automatically get respect especially if they start out with attitude. Second line out of his mouth "especially that you're obviously not a resident of PA" so obviously he doesn't even known PA law because you don't need to be a resident to have a LTCF. I'm sorry but I don't care what badge you have on your shirt if you approach someone with that attitude you don't deserve any respect, period.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

LMAO, Michele must look like some sort of slimey criminal! OMG!11!!

But game officers, esp PGC, do tend to be a bunch of pricks, from all I have heard, and a bit of what I have seen. They were total assholes to a buddy of mine over accidental otter catches, and on the MD side I had this dillhole playing lies with me, and either him or another one stole 2 of my traps.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Lawrence County)

Wildlife CO's receive 51 weeks of trainning. A huge portion of that is ACT 120 training. They do not receive the cerification because their authority comes from Title 34 sec 901 sub 17. This gives them the powers of policing.
    Now as far as respect. Their position deserves respect right off the bat. They put their lives on the line everyday where you respect the individual is up to you. IF his encounter went down AS described they were jerks. They do have the authority of a police officer though and are treated as such in a court of law. Break the law in front of them and they can drag you to jail just a easily.
    Nobody deserves respect, it has to be earned so why in the world would you respect someone who is obviously not respecting you? You want to respect some thug pissing all over you go ahead, just don't expect everyone else to do the same. I'm fairly certain the it would have been a non-incident if he would have acted properly instead of trying to be a hardass. Shit like this is what turns people off of the law.
    Last edited by jerkin; March 28th, 2009 at 11:10 AM.

(Dauphin County)

You know, just maybe the guy is socially inept and was looking for a way to strike up a conversation and get your name, but your response set him on his heels and then he had to dig in and attempt to preserve his manhood.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I thought you would get a kick out of this.

I was in Warren today. I went into Burger King to get a soda and pee.

I'm standing on line in the ropes and a man behind me says "hey, you have a license to carry that". Now, I was c/c however, PRINTING BADLY. So I turn around and its 2 Game commission officers or Game whatevers. I did see their logo truck in the parking lot when I left.

Me: Its none of your business, sir.
    Him: Yes it is, and I have the authority to ask you especially that you're obviously not a resident of PA. (he must have tuned into my Brooklynese speech)
    Me: Um, no, you don't have any authority to ask me anything. Why don't you go and harass someone else.
    Him: You can be arrested for failing to answer my question. I have the authority.
    Me: being a bitch, put my shirt behind my gun so now I'm O/Cing. Now arrest me for legally O/Cing on private property being you have the authority.
    Him: Are you taunting me?
    Me: Are you harassing me about doing something perfectly legal on private property that is absolutely none of your business?
    Him: I'm not harassing you. I just want to know if you have a license to carry that.
    Me: Its none of your God damn business! And yes, you certainly are harassing me, and I've now had my fill of listening to your bullshit. Don't say another word to me or I will be calling 911. Have a nice day.

Conversation over.

LMAO!!!

first thing: you're awesome. you weren't being rude, you were giving his shit back to him. if it were me, i'd have been a lot less friendly, mostly because i've reached my tolerance threshold for assholes.

second thing, Gaming Commission officers/park rangers have NO authority to question ANYONE about ANYTHING unless it's on state gameland. people have this misconception (so did i, for awhile), that a badge automatically confers authority; it doesn't. a sheriff, a constable, a game warden, or a corrections officer do NOT have the right to stop and question people on the street. that is the job of local police departments, and even then, they need RAS. i proved that with my run in with two Lackawanna sheriff's deputies, who were convinced open carry was illegal.

my response: "if it were illegal, you'd arrest me."

bottom line: the Game dick/ass ranger guy had no right to question you, and had no power to do anything. fuck him sideways with a chainsaw, i say.

oh yeah, rep sent.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast