Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Well it finally happened...

Was walking up to Friendly's to grab some ice cream for the wife and I. I had to walk along Oregon pike and it was pretty busy. ordered my ice cream and started back to my house. As I approach my street I notice a Manheim Township Supervisor SUV stopped at the end of my street. As I approached the intersection the officer got out and walked around to the passenger side of the vehicle. I turn down my street and the officer approaches me.

Officer: "Open carry?"

Me: "Yes sir."

Officer: "We had a concerned caller call in a man with a gun. Do you mind if I look at your ID for report purposes. And so I can say that I spoke with you?"

Me: "Sorry Sir, I don't wish to give out my ID. I will however tell you I am Josh from Manheim Township. Am I free to go?"

Officer: "No problem, have a good night."

At this point I continued walking down the street as 3 more police cars drove past me. Didn't harass me, they just kept on driving. Didn't catch the officers name, but I think I will be letting his superior know he handled a non situation professionally and politely. I Think the officer handled himself well. He approached me in a friendly manner and didn't force anything on me. He was just checking on the report and that was that. As I was walking away I heard the officer radio to someone... possibly dispatch? He said "Nah it's fine. It is was just open carry. He didn't want to give me his ID." His exact words.

Questions? Comments?
    Last edited by Evolution; March 27th, 2009 at 06:22 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Well it finally happened...

You're going to ruin it for everybody

Thanks for sharing

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lackawanna County)

i think i just fainted.

you mean you weren't cuffed, and "detained" for more than hour, for exercising your rights? what's wrong with cops these days?

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution View Post
    Was walking up to Friendly's to grab some ice cream for the wife and I. I had to walk along Oregon pike and it was pretty busy. ordered my ice cream and started back to my house. As I approach my street I notice a Manheim Township Supervisor SUV stopped at the end of my street. As I approached the intersection the officer got out and walked around to the passenger side of the vehicle. I turn down my street and the officer approaches me.

Officer: "We had a concerned caller call in a man with a gun. Do you mind if I look at your ID for report purposes. And so I can say that I spoke with you?"

Me: "Sorry Sir, I don't wish to give out my ID. I will however tell you I am Josh from Manheim Township. Am I free to go?"

At this point I continued walking down the street as 3 more police cars drove past me. Didn't harass me, they just kept on driving. Didn't catch the officers name, but I think I will be letting his superior know he handled a non situation professionally and politely. I Think the officer handled himself well. He approached me in a friendly manner and didn't force anything on me. He was just checking on the report and that was that. As I was walking away I heard the officer radio to someone... possibly dispatch? He said "Nah it's fine. It is was just open carry. He didn't want to give me his ID." His exact words.

Questions? Comments?
    Thank goodness Obama is in office. Otherwise I would start to run out of things to bitch about at this rate!

Thanks for sharing. This is the poster child of correct interfacing between police and 'man with a gun'.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Glad it went well It would be a very good idea to follow up and tell his superior that he handled it well.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution View Post

Questions? Comments?
    Sounds like someone has gone through their annual update!
    Glad to hear a good interaction, finally!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i think i just fainted.

you mean you weren't cuffed, and "detained" for more than hour, for exercising your rights? what's wrong with cops these days?
    actually no. the encounter lasted all but 30 seconds as i continued walking. The officer never even asked me to stop. He kinda just walked along beside me.

(Luzerne County)

Good job....
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Be still my heart ... could it be they are FINALLY starting to get it? Could it REALLY be? (I won't hold my breath btw)

Funny I open carried today here in Barrett (where the cops know it is legal) .. to the hardware store, the liquor store, a local garage and a friends house and no one even so much as looked let alone commented.

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Be still my heart ... could it be they are FINALLY starting to get it? Could it REALLY be? (I won't hold my breath btw)

Funny I open carried today here in Barrett (where the cops know it is legal) .. to the hardware store, the liquor store, a local garage and a friends house and no one even so much as looked let alone commented.

OMG!!!!!!!!! Don't you know guns and booze don't mix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast