Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Why is China banned from importing ammo?

Like the title says, why is China banned from importing ammo? Ammo prices would be through the floor if we allowed Chinese ammo.

Default Re: Why is China banned from importing ammo?

Um, I wasn't aware that they were banned from shipping ammo. This is the first time that I've heard this. Where did you hear it? Any sources? It might have been that way for a long time, but I'm curious. I've seen some bad quality control come out of china, I'm not sure I wanna chance that in my rifles, lol, but I am curious about this.

(Susquehanna County)

Well, I'd just heard this somewhere. Think about it though. All I see is Russian, Euro, and US ammo. Where is a major portion of our imports coming from? China. This isn't the case with ammo and I'm wondering why.

I had heard that it was because the Chinese use steel core bullets. But I just saw on AIM that they have Russian 5.56x39 ammo with steel core. I'm now completely clueless as to why we dont have Chinese ammo.

Importation of Chinese ammo was banned during the Klinton years. Someone correct me if Im wrong, but I think steel core ammo for a handgun is illegal, so if a cartridge is chambered in any handgun, it cannot be imported or manufactured with a steel core bullet if chambered in even ONE handgun.

Lone Wolf - I believe you are correct about the Clinton general banning on China ammo. I'm not sure about the handgun rule.

(Chester County)

It is illegal to import armor piercing ammo:

18 USC 922(a)It shall be unlawful—
    (7) for any person to manufacture or import armor piercing ammunition, unless—
    (A) the manufacture of such ammunition is for the use of the United States, any department or agency of the United States, any State, or any department, agency, or political subdivision of a State;
    (B) the manufacture of such ammunition is for the purpose of exportation; or
    (C) the manufacture or importation of such ammunition is for the purpose of testing or experimentation and has been authorized by the Attorney General;
    (8) for any manufacturer or importer to sell or deliver armor piercing ammunition, unless such sale or delivery—
    (A) is for the use of the United States, any department or agency of the United States, any State, or any department, agency, or political subdivision of a State;
    (B) is for the purpose of exportation; or
    (C) is for the purpose of testing or experimentation and has been authorized by the Attorney General; [1]

(Bucks County)

Even if there wasn't a ban on Chinese ammo, would you really want to shoot it? Given the quality of even "high end" Chinese products, I think I'd just rather pay more.

Where I work, we deal with primarily Chinese imported goods and we have a saying..."There is nothing as consistent as Chinese inconsistency."

-Zach

(Jefferson County)

China makes non-AP/steel core ammo too.

Its due to anti-gun efforts through Klinton. It was during the time period when they didn't want us to have cheap ammo in the grandfathered guns that they couldn't get rid of and other political issues. Klinton also want to throw off investigations about Chinese campaign donations, banning such ammo helped blind some folks of the truth.

(Northampton County)

The ammo they were importing was not AP. Any more than the steel core Wolf that has come in the country. The ammo was not banned because some of it was steel core. It was simply banned as an anti-gun measure and it's always easy to ban imports of any kind.

I only remember firing a little of it but the general consensus is that it was problem free ammo at a minimum.

(Bucks County)

Some people actually like it and it now goes for a premium, .70c or so a round.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast