Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Re: Why is China banned from importing ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Even if there wasn't a ban on Chinese ammo, would you really want to shoot it? Given the quality of even "high end" Chinese products, I think I'd just rather pay more.

Where I work, we deal with primarily Chinese imported goods and we have a saying..."There is nothing as consistent as Chinese inconsistency."

-Zach
    You may be (and are probably) right but I'd like to make my own choice as to what to buy and not have the gov't decide for me.

(Northampton County)

Chinese ammo was banned because it was cheap, it was good, and he could.

(Allegheny County)

The ban on CHICOM military-related (as opposed to the CHICOM shotguns still being imported) was due to the still-Red-to-this-day Red Chinese being caught red-handed selling scrubbed real-deal AK-47s to SoCal drug gangs.

They were caught in an FBI/ATF sting, and since the PLA has their hands in everything AK-related, Klinton put the hammer down on CHICOM imports - except for the shotguns.

Given that despite their new-found love of capitilism, the Red Chinese are still red, and still happy to see us suffering in every way possible just so long as we can pay our bills to them.

As gun owners, it sucks to not be able to get copper-washed 8mm at 6cents/rd, or cheap 7.62x39, or not being able to replace those PolyTechs we sold off in the early 90s during Ban Panic I... but as American citizens - the less we fund the PLA the better.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Chinese ammo was banned because it was cheap, it was good, and he could.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Because it was done by Executive Order and God knows what it takes to rescind an EO.

Actually, the ammo import ban was due to Olympic Arms manufacturing an AR pistol in 7.62 x 39 hence the chicom steel core fell victim to the "no AP handgun ammo" regulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    I dunno how or why Russian steel core can still be sold other than the fact that euro combloc wasn't being imported back in those days and perhaps the EO specifically cites chicom origin?
    The steel core 7.62x39 and the general arms ban were inspired by to different developments. Yes, the steel core was banned due to benign marketing by Olympia...however steel core rifle-only ammunition is legal. This is why steel core 7.62x54R is still available. Here's a good article on the 7.2x39 steel core ammo ban (link).

China was prohibited from exporting arms to the US around 1994 after a number of high profile incidents:

• Tiananmen Square (1989, details)
    • Sale of missile related technology to Iran, (2003? details)
    • Operation Dragon-Fire (1994, details)
    • Implications that the Chinese were selling missile and other arms technology to North Korea

More.

I get the impression this was rushed through, since China was on the brink of getting Favored Nation status, which impacted US businesses. A complete ban would have been injurious to US business, and the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    ...Where I work, we deal with primarily Chinese imported goods and we have a saying..."There is nothing as consistent as Chinese inconsistency."

-Zach
    Chinese AKs were not highly regarded when they were first imported. When European AKs began to trickle in, consensus was Chinese AKs were actually better. While Chinese AKs (and even more so, SKS rifles) were criticized for machining marks and unfinished spot welds, they were correctly aligned. Romanian and Egyptian AKs were notorious for misaligned gas cylinders and front sights. Google "AK front sight cant".
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Monroe County)

ahhh back when it was $2.50 a bx or $60/65 ham cans I would burn through one in a day. I miss that.

People poopooed Chinese AK's and ohh milled is SOOOOO much better, I know I had mine 56s-1 from 12/89 and put at least 20k+ through it and only issues were a zero shift that was correctable, and I wore out the disconnect sear, one G2 trigger later it's even better.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345