Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Whats the first gun you ever shot??

I remember the day to the "T". I was about 4 years old and my dad took me and my twin brother to the GPGC. We packed up the truck and headed off. We were so excited. He took us to the long rifle range. And there it was his left handed flint lock muzzleloader. Man the adrenaline was really pumping now. He showed us both how to load it. My brother went first (I remember that pissing me off haha). Then it was my turn, I aimed it down range click, flash, BOOM. It hurt like a SOB, but I loved it. That is when I fell in love with shooting and guns. I have an 11 month at home and I can't wait until he is old enough to go shooting with me and my dad.

Default Re: Whats the first gun you ever shot??

The first thing I ever shot was an old Browning .22 semi auto, the old takedown model that loaded in through the stock. Probably the most handy of any .22 out there. I'm glad to see that Browning is making it again.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Allegheny County)

Nice!! I posted this thinking a lot of people would want to share there story, but I guess not.

Not counting the ubiquitous 22, I recall it was a Colt Official Police, 38 special...was Dad's service gun. I'm guessing I was 5 or 6...hard to remember. Dad kept it loaded & in an unlocked drawer at all times, and this was his way of removing the novelty of it. I was a bit much for me at the time, and I didn't care for the noise or recoil. The 22 goes back further than memory, I might have been pre-k because it was a pistol and I was too small for a rifle.

By age 11 I was shooting 357 Magnums regularly in Boy Scouts, as the Cold War normalized weapon training in a lot of youth programs. Ironically, it belonged to the local undertaker. Most kids had 22 rifles by then, and my folks signed off on a 1911 for me when I was 18.

(Allegheny County)

Good story man, you had a pretty cool dad too.

(Fulton County)

other than a BBgun the1st time i shot a real gun was when i was 11 or 12 it was my dads 20ga left a bruise for weeks

(Dauphin County)

A Cooey Model 60. First non-BB gun. Had a box of .22 Shorts for it. Still have it, but stock is shattered now and action is messed up. Anyone who is interested or has knowledge on Cooeys, let me know.

First big memory for me of shooting, non .22 and non bb gun, was my dad's M1 Garande. Sucker kicked like a mule to me, I wasn't too big and probably weighed about 50 lbs.

Some of my favorite memories of shooting with my dad were with the .22 and then the AR-15. I always thought my dad was the coolest because he had an M-16. My friends were always jealous, because their dads usually only let them shoot .22s and bb guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

Quote Originally Posted by Withee355 View Post
    Good story man, you had a pretty cool dad too.
    I wish. He had an ulterior motive. Mom was hollering to get rid of all the guns, Dad needed an ally fast. Suddenly, I'm a shooter. This was right on the heels of her father's death, I remember carloads of grandpop's antique guns carried out of the house and placed into nondescript car trunks. Never saw them again. Don't know what they were, but a photo of Grandpop turned up with two of them in the background. They looked like original civil war sharpshooter's rifles. Maybe it's better I don't know what he had.

Given that he was both a W.W.I & W.W.II vet + expert pistol rating, he must have owned a serious collection. His photo still hangs in the West Chester Gun Club meetinghouse, and is visible in one of their photos. First photo to the right of the guy in the green jacket.

(Allegheny County)

LLAMA IXC .45 I actually still own it. I love it as a good range gun

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast