Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Rifle with no serial number

A friend of mine was recently cleaning out his late father’s house when he found an old .22 rifle that had the manufacture’s name and model number but no serial number. He took the rifle completely apart looking for the number. From what he found on the internet, it was made in the 1930’s or early 40’s and sold in department stores. Without a serial number how does he sell or give it away. It is not in very good shape. He lives in Pa and his father lived in Pa.

Default Re: Rifle with no serial number

If he can get a good age on it, it can be classed as a C&R and does not need a serial number. A lot of old .22's never had serial numbers.

(Luzerne County)

It has nothing to do with C&R status, etc.

The Fed Gun Control Act of 1968 requires a serial number on all Title-1 firearms manufactured/imported by licensed manufacturers and importers.

Firearms made or imported prior to the law may not have ser#'s
    Firearms manufactured by a non-licensee (individual), NFA excluded, do not require a ser#.

Removing a serial number is illegal.

So, the firearm in question, having been made prior to 1968, is the likely reason for the lack of ser#. And it transfers the same as any other rifle. Face to face (or through FFL if you prefer) with another Pa. resident or through an FFL for a non Pa. resident. The ser# is NOT required for transfer provided the firearm was manufactured/imported prior to 1968 _or_ was manufactured by a non licensee (any date).

Ref:
    27 CFR 178.92(a)(1)

HTH
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; March 26th, 2009 at 02:50 PM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

i have a 16ga single shot stevens that has no Serial number. bought it used at a local store for CHEAP. the ATF hasnt knocked on my door yet...
    This Space For Rent

I've bought GUns at dealers and the only thing that has been put on the 4473 is the Hardware stores' name and the caliber.

(Jefferson County)

As Pa Patriot said, the GCA of 1968 dictated that all firearms built after that have a serial number. Prior to that it was a manufacturer's choice to do so. And since ex post facto laws are unconstitutional - the law only applies to guns made after.

You treat it like you would any other long-gun, except if a FFL is needed to transfer it in any manner(interstate, etc) - the FFL will use physical descriptions and dimensions to denote the firearm instead of a serial number.

(Philadelphia County)

You learn something new on this website everyday... I swear..

my advice would have been... "I wouldn't even touch it with stolen hands".
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    It has nothing to do with C&R status, etc.

The Fed Gun Control Act of 1968 requires a serial number on all Title-1 firearms manufactured/imported by licensed manufacturers and importers.

Firearms made or imported prior to the law may not have ser#'s
    Firearms manufactured by a non-licensee (individual), NFA excluded, do not require a ser#.

Removing a serial number is illegal.

So, the firearm in question, having been made prior to 1968, is the likely reason for the lack of ser#. And it transfers the same as any other rifle. Face to face (or through FFL if you prefer) with another Pa. resident or through an FFL for a non Pa. resident. The ser# is NOT required for transfer provided the firearm was manufactured/imported prior to 1968 _or_ was manufactured by a non licensee (any date).

Ref:
    27 CFR 178.92(a)(1)

HTH

Are you saying that as long as both people are Pa residents there is no need for a FFL transfer?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    Are you saying that as long as both people are Pa residents there is no need for a FFL transfer?
    Yes. Long guns do not need to be transferred through an FFL intrastate.
    Handguns need to be transferred by an FFL both intrastate (unless the transfer meets an exception of 18Pa.C.S.6111) and interstate except in some intestate secession or bequest situations.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie