Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Sterling Arms Model 400...

I bought a Sterling Arms Model 400 in .380. It was used (quite a bit from what I can tell) and very dirty. From what I've read, the company went out of business in 1983.

Anyway, out of the door with a box of ammo - 181$. Did I do okay?

-Zach

(Pike County)

Default Re: Sterling Arms Model 400...

Hi Zach, and welcome to the forum.
    I have a Sterling .22 auto, good gun. If it works it's good, if not, well, I believe that gun parts corp has parts for Sterlings. Clean her up and go to the range, and have fun!

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the welcome!

The gun needs to be cleaned, but I have confidence that it should work. Now I just need to track down some .380.

-Zach

Question Re: Sterling Arms Model 400...

Hello, I recently purchased a Sterling .380 D/A model 400 pistol at an estate sale. I noticed that the slide would not lock back when I racked it with an empty clip. I took the slide off and noticed that I was missing a metal plate and a spring that sits under the slide. I watched this video on you tube of a tear down of this pistol, (mark II version), it shows the plate and spring that I'm missing, here's the link to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sflXBHZYctk
    I need to know what the name of those pieces are and are the mark II version and mine interchangeable. Please help me, I dont wanna just chalk this piece up as a loss and would like to fix it. If you know anything about this gun or know where I can find these pieces it would be very much appreciated.

The pieces I need a hold open ejector and a hold open spring......I think I found the ejector but cant find the spring anywhere....ANY SUGGESTIONS????
    Last edited by noCTurnal; September 9th, 2010 at 01:17 PM.

(Bucks County)

I have since sold mine or rather traded it in along with some other guns for a nice Sig 229, but if I recall correctly, your gun is functioning 100% correctly. It is like a Walther PPK/S in that it does not have a slide release. The only way to close the slide is to either remove the magazine and pull the slide back or to load the gun.

On the other hand, if the slide NEVER locks back, then there is something wrong with the gun or the magazine.

Personally, I didn't find the machining quality to be all that great with the gun so I haven't really missed it.

-Zach