Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Need to open carry today, How should I transport?

Hi all, I still haven't got my yellow card back to get my permit, and I'm going to be helping my friends move today.

They're moving to Carnegie and I have seen deals on the street and printing, so I want to carry today especially.

What I've gathered from the forums here and seen different results, is I'm hoping what I need to do to be sure.

Put my gun in it's case, I'm going to field strip it in the box just to be sure!

Put said case in my trunk.

I'm going to put the mags and my holster in my glove compartment or center console, as I do not have an ammo box or anything like that.

Will that work?

I also was wondering about the transport to and from a range thing, I am planning on if I do get questioned while driving (Most likely will not be I obey speed limits etc. Is that I am moving with them, or have plans to be taking my buddy to the range afterwards both of which are true, as I am moving some of my stuff as I do stay over his place quite frequently and if we do have time I may be going to PMSC to see about a membership and show him how to shoot.
    Last edited by Skuggi; April 25th, 2007 at 11:29 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Need to open carry today, How should I transport?

Sounds right to me, BUT I haven't had to worry about such things in years and I can't give sound advise here...
    As I understand it, carry in the car w/o permit is a no-no. I can't imagine there would be a problem with the transportation method you described though.

You coming to the group shoot?
    You'll have to let us know how many squad cars they send in response to all the "man with a gun" calls!

I hope this doesn't start a open vs concealed debate - it's been done and both have valid points. Do what works for YOU.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Thanks empty yea this is not a debate thread at all period if a mod sees one, delete it. I stated why I'm doing it I have no other choice and did not feel comfortable unarmed last time when we checked out the place.

I will definitely post how the experience went.

Edit: also when is the next group shoot, I need to know so I can request off as I work sundays and am going to make this one, wasnt able to get off for the last one on short notice I was ticked!
    Last edited by Skuggi; April 25th, 2007 at 11:38 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

I talked to the High Child yesterday. He said we are going to do 5/13 for the next group shoot. Mother's Day. He will probably start a thread on it soon.

Hope you can go.
    Last edited by BearTitan; April 25th, 2007 at 11:57 AM.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skuggi View Post
    Thanks empty yea this is not a debate thread at all period if a mod sees one, delete it. I stated why I'm doing it I have no other choice and did not feel comfortable unarmed last time when we checked out the place.

Edit: also when is the next group shoot, I need to know so I can request off as I work sundays and am going to make this one, wasnt able to get off for the last one on short notice I was ticked!
    Already started, check the thread in the Allegheny section. Sunday May 13th.

Bring your gats
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Skuggi View Post

Heh--I actually WORK in Carnegie, so definitely curious about how things go for you.

(Allegheny County)

Ok, just got back, and things went well actually, I went from feeling like I was going to be treated like a criminal to actually a bit of pride in exercising my 2nd amendment rights.

Ok, first off at their apartment in Westpointe apartments in Robinson TWP.

We loaded up the 2 trucks and my car this took about an hour. I had my holster on, shirt tucked in, walked past many residents only a few gave me an odd look, more or less inquisitive. I also walked past a mother and her young child in the hallway and gun in pure sight with no problems what so ever.

When I got to carnegie and we started unloading, I assembled my weapon again and locked and loaded, put on the saftey strap and got to work. I ran into no foot police but had 2 city of pittsburgh police drive by. One I know saw it because he slowed down and I just gave him a nod so no problems there. As for the people who were walking down the street and saw, I didnt even have a glance really.

Finally, I got off work and will be at the shoot!

(Montgomery County)

Dont open carry in PA read my post i just posted i nthis area...just looking out for you...

(Montgomery County)

regardless of what your Sheriff said, Open carry is one hundred percent legal.
    Open carry is 100 percent legal in Philly, but ONLY of you have a LTCF...different rules in Philly, since its a city of the first class.

your Sheriff is WRONG, and it behooves you NOT to tell other folks they are wrong based on what your Sheriffs office decided to falsely inform you.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply