Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Building an AK from a complete Russian Izhmash, which NDS receiver + parts?

I happened across a Russian Izhmash milled receiver parts kit and the guy knows me so he sold it to me for a really nice price. I've been researching information on building an AK, but the majority are on Romy, Bulgy, Yugo kits, nothing on Russian kits. My assumption is that the Russian kits are not that much different...since they are the original after all.

In any case, I would like to order a Nodak Spud receiver for the kit, but there are so many different options and model numbers from the site. Can anyone recommend the "best" NDS receiver model for such a kit and chime in on what parts would be ideal to get to make the AK fully US-legal? Are there things I should be cautious of with a Russian kit?

Lastly, anyone builds AKs in the Philadelphia area who wouldn't mind helping me a little here and there? Are there any AK build parties upcoming? I would love to attend to watch.

Thanks!
    Al

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Building an AK from a complete Russian Izhmash, which NDS receiver + parts?

First and foremost. If you purchased a "milled" receiver kit you need to build on a milled receiver. NDS makes stamped (sheet metal) receivers.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Building an AK from a complete Russian Izhmash, which NDS receiver + parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    First and foremost. If you purchased a "milled" receiver kit you need to build on a milled receiver. NDS makes stamped (sheet metal) receivers.
    D'oh! OK, any recommendation on a milled receiver? Thanks.

Al

(Allegheny County)

Your really limited on your options ...

You can re-weld the receiver and with plates or you can order a milled receiver. The only company that I can think of that sells milled receivers is Ohio Rapid Fire. They were selling them for Yugos, not sure if your russian will fit.

My advice ... send your kit to matt (turbothis on theakforum.net) and have him do a re-weld. It will probably cost you around $300 - $400. Which is what a milled receiver will cost you. With the re-weld, you get to use a good portion of the original receiver which would be a huge plus for me.

Where are pictures ... would love to have a russian milled AK

mocan'twaitforpicturesjo
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Your really limited on your options ...

You can re-weld the receiver and with plates or you can order a milled receiver. The only company that I can think of that sells milled receivers is Ohio Rapid Fire. They were selling them for Yugos, not sure if your russian will fit.

My advice ... send your kit to matt (turbothis on theakforum.net) and have him do a re-weld. It will probably cost you around $300 - $400. Which is what a milled receiver will cost you. With the re-weld, you get to use a good portion of the original receiver which would be a huge plus for me.

Where are pictures ... would love to have a russian milled AK

mocan'twaitforpicturesjo
    Thanks for the info. So far I found this: http://www.firinglineoklahoma.com/akreceivers.html for Romy, Bulgy, and Chinese. I would imagine that would work for a Russian.

Is re-welding a good idea? I'd think it won't be as "sturdy" as having a complete milled receiver. (I'm very new to this so I don't know how silly that concern is). I'm going to email Firing Line about their receivers.

The seller just shipped the kit out. I won't be posting pix until a complete one is done, along with pics along the way for sure. I'm really excited about it because I know how rare the Russian kits are. If you're really interested, I'll send you some pix via email once I get the kit.

Al

(Philadelphia County)

Just got off the phone with Firing Line...$799 for a threaded milled receiver!!! Holy heck! They won't have any for another 6 months.

Al

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Thanks for the info. So far I found this: http://www.firinglineoklahoma.com/akreceivers.html for Romy, Bulgy, and Chinese. I would imagine that would work for a Russian.

Is re-welding a good idea? I'd think it won't be as "sturdy" as having a complete milled receiver. (I'm very new to this so I don't know how silly that concern is). I'm going to email Firing Line about their receivers.

The seller just shipped the kit out. I won't be posting pix until a complete one is done, along with pics along the way for sure. I'm really excited about it because I know how rare the Russian kits are. If you're really interested, I'll send you some pix via email once I get the kit.

Al
    I wouldn't worry one bit about a re-weld done right. A lot of people on the theakforum.net will vouch for Matt's work. Actually, if I remember correctly, there are a few members on this board that sent kits to Matt for work.

Any kinds of pics would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    I wouldn't worry one bit about a re-weld done right. A lot of people on the theakforum.net will vouch for Matt's work. Actually, if I remember correctly, there are a few members on this board that sent kits to Matt for work.

Any kinds of pics would be great.
    I just signed up for an account on there and will be checking on the info and talk with Matt about it. How does it work with the serial number? Also, from the look of it, the receiver only has the front half from the kit...I guess he makes the other half, which is serialized and welded on? Man, I am so clueless.

Al

(Bucks County)

Pics or it didn't happen!

(Lackawanna County)

I'd take a properly rewelded Russian over a new sheetmetal receiver any day.

SteamtownI'vebuiltbothwelder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast