Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default AR-15 stripped lower MUST be registered as a handgun - Legal issues?

I ordered 3 stripped lowers to be shipped to my local FFL, only to learn that in PA, any stripped lowers must be accompanied by all handgun paperwork JUST IN CASE they would be manufactured into pistols. So now I've got three lowers which will probably NEVER be built into pistols, but I'm assuming they'll have to be transferred as such forever - is this correct? I've even been told that if I had ordered them as completed lowers with the full A2 buttstock attached, the same rule applies.

Therefore, even if I build these into complete rifles: I cannot sell these in a face-to-face transaction without an FFL involved? I cannot sell these to someone from out-of state under any circumstances?

Would it be possible to order more lowers and have them shipped to a nearby state with looser regulations (what are WV and OH like?), where I could pick them up and have them treated as rifles forever?

Am I making too much out of this, or is this a bunch of crap?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: AR-15 stripped lower MUST be registered as a handgun - Legal issues?

Quote Originally Posted by b.leevr View Post
    I ordered 3 stripped lowers to be shipped to my local FFL, only to learn that in PA, any stripped lowers must be accompanied by all handgun paperwork JUST IN CASE they would be manufactured into pistols. So now I've got three lowers which will probably NEVER be built into pistols, but I'm assuming they'll have to be transferred as such forever - is this correct? I've even been told that if I had ordered them as completed lowers with the full A2 buttstock attached, the same rule applies.

Therefore, even if I build these into complete rifles: I cannot sell these in a face-to-face transaction without an FFL involved? I cannot sell these to someone from out-of state under any circumstances?

Would it be possible to order more lowers and have them shipped to a nearby state with looser regulations (what are WV and OH like?), where I could pick them up and have them treated as rifles forever?

Am I making too much out of this, or is this a bunch of crap?
    This seems to be coming up a lot lately. The confusion was caused by the change on the FEDERAL 4473. I have heard of a half dozen dealers doing unnecessary record of sales paperwork on a stripped AR lower. It is NOT necessary unless something changed that PSPFD has failed to tell most of us about. The only change in the sale of a stripped lower is that now under the new 4473 there is an extra box to be checked if it is a stripped receiver and it can only be sold to persons 21 or over.

Rich W.

(Blair County)

Default Re: AR-15 stripped lower MUST be registered as a handgun - Legal issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Warners Surplus View Post
    The only change in the sale of a stripped lower is that now under the new 4473 there is an extra box to be checked if it is a stripped receiver and it can only be sold to persons 21 or over.
    Where can I find this written down so I can have my lowers released without the additional paperwork? I was told that PSP require handgun paperwork with all stripped lowers.

(Blair County)

I found the following exchange on http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbu...p?t-56140.html

jdubois 02-13-2009, 09:44 AM
    The FFL is right, guys. We had this question a few weeks ago and it threw me too. With the new 4473 form issued last October, you select 'Other Firearm' for question 18 when transferring just a lower. 'Other Firearms' are not transferable to non-residents like rifles and shotguns are. The other ridiculous implication now is that nobody under 21 can buy a lower receiver from an FFL, even though they can potentially buy the whole rifle.

JimConway 02-13-2009, 09:46 AM
    A few months ago BATFE notified all dealers, that an AR lower receiver was to be considered as a handgun and not as a rifle.

(Centre County)

STOP, don't drink the Kool-aid, this was hashed out less than 2 months ago here. Search function is amazing when it works. Here is the gist of it from one of our own moderators who happens to be a FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Find a dealer that knows what they are talking about.

You must be 21 to purchase a stripped receiver (due to the fact it can be used as pistol or rifle). This is a Fed requirement. But Pa. Code only requires firearms having less than 15" barrrel length to be transferred/sold on a PSP form SP4-113.

two reasons:
    1) Receivers do not have a barrel and are not Firearms (handguns/SBS/SBR) per the 6102 definition because they have not been built into one yet they can not be "or frame or receiver of such weapon)

2) The requirement of filling out a form SP4-113 per 18Pa.C.S.6111 is limited to the following per paragraph (f)(2)

As such, other than the 21yr old Fed requirement, they transfer like a rifle, not a pistol.
    Link to the thread: http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/485...ed-pistol.html
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Centre County)

JimConway 02-13-2009, 09:46 AM
    A few months ago BATFE notified all dealers, that an AR lower receiver was to be considered as a handgun and not as a rifle.

This guy is WRONG. The BATFE says (said) that lower receivers are NEITHER a handgun NOR a longarm. That is why they added the OTHER box on the 4473. Also, because they are neither, that is the reason that an under 21 yr old cannot buy one from an FFL and that is explained in the narrative portion of the 4473.

To quote from the 4473: "Since a frame or receiver for a firearm, to include one that can only be made into a long gun, is a "firearm other than a shotgun or rifle," it cannot be transferred to anyone under the age of 21"
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Blair County)

OK - So what do I do? Take this info to my FFL and politely request that they don't file the paperwork that they believe they are legally required to file?

Can I have them send the pieces to another FFL that understands the law?

I guess I'm most concerned with my legal obligation if I ever decide to sell a completed rifle from one of these pieces. If I were to sell all three of these units FTF as long guns, could I be charged with an unlawful transfer of a handgun?

My FFL still has my receivers. What should I do?

(Franklin County)

My FFL still has my receivers. What should I do?
    Find another FFL who understands what these updates actually mean. Have the lowers transferred there, then go pick them up.

You can inform the current FFL why you won't be doing business with them any longer, and in the future, confirm such details before engaging in a transaction.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Find another FFL who understands what these updates actually mean.
    Any recommendations for a local guy? I'm in Blair county, and regularly travel into Centre, Huntingdon, Cambria and Bedford counties.

Any recommendations for a local guy? I'm in Blair county, and regularly travel into Centre, Huntingdon, Cambria and Bedford counties.

PM Xringshooter.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast