Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: AR-15 stripped lower MUST be registered as a handgun - Legal issues?

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepyromaniak View Post
    I have a question. Will they be trying to make you register any exsisting ar's? or will they be grand fatherd in?
    I don't see how any of this non sense the PSP is pushing has any legs in court, I would not worry about it.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: AR-15 stripped lower MUST be registered as a handgun - Legal issues?

also along the lines of the above post, when i sell an ar do i have to treat it as a handgun? oh and i say good job to all the guys on here like xring and pa pat. and warner that will continue to transfers lowers the right way. thanks all

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seneca Arms Co. Inc. View Post
    I was on the phone with Trooper Anderson today and can confirm that he said the state wants all lowers to go on the white form.
    Did Trooper anderson say when it will be official? Did he say the penalty for FFL's who dont do it thier way before its official. The way is see it is bolded. I WANT a million bucks. Im probally not going to get that either

(Centre County)

thetruepyro - if, and that is a big IF they were to do this foolishness, those in peoples hands would probably be grandfathered. If not, you would probably see a very large back lash from the public and state senators and representatives. I have already sent messages to my local representatives who are not just pro 2A, but pro stay the hell out of peoples lives.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepyromaniak View Post
    Did Trooper anderson say when it will be official? Did he say the penalty for FFL's who dont do it thier way before its official. The way is see it is bolded. I WANT a million bucks. Im probally not going to get that either

Trooper Anderson claims the PA code has called for it for several years. I can not find it clearly spelled out in the pa code SS 33.102. The closest thing I can read there is “Firearm as defined in section 6111.2 of the act—A weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosion or the frame or receiver of the weapon.”

If the opinion of the PSP and more importantly the courts at some point agree that a frame that can be assembled into a handgun constitutes a handgun then an AR frame could be construed as a handgun.

I am not agreeing with it only citing what I “think” the PSP is trying to say.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by o1dakota440 View Post
    also along the lines of the above post, when i sell an ar do i have to treat it as a handgun? oh and i say good job to all the guys on here like xring and pa pat. and warner that will continue to transfers lowers the right way. thanks all
    hey I am only doing what I need to do to ensure my Pa license to sell is not compromised. I do this for a living and my kids don't eat if i lose my job.

(Northampton County)

hey I am only doing what I need to do to ensure my Pa license to sell is not compromised. I do this for a living and my kids don't eat if i lose my job.
    Same here. This is a business and we do have to protect it as we see fit.
    It is very simple for a person that is not in the business full time and has another source of income to blame the dealer.

(Lycoming County)

i didn't mean to insult you or any of the others. sorry if it sounded that way. i meant no disrespect by it.

Trooper Anderson claims the PA code has called for it for several years. I can not find it clearly spelled out in the pa code SS 33.102. The closest thing I can read there is “Firearm as defined in section 6111.2 of the act—A weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosion or the frame or receiver of the weapon.”

If the opinion of the PSP and more importantly the courts at some point agree that a frame that can be assembled into a handgun constitutes a handgun then an AR frame could be construed as a handgun.

I am not agreeing with it only citing what I “think” the PSP is trying to say.
    The controlling definition is in Section 6111 of the UFA, which regulates transfers of "firearms" through FFL's.

(f) Application of section.--

(1) For the purposes of this section only, except as provided by paragraph (2), "firearm" shall mean any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.

(2) The provisions contained in subsections (a) and (c) shall only apply to pistols or revolvers with a barrel length of less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18 inches, any rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches or any firearm with an overall length of less than 26 inches.

You'll notice that the term "or may readily be converted" is ONLY used in (1), not in (2). It means that anything like a starter gun or tear gas gun that has a barrel block or similar impediment to chambering and firing a live round, will still be included in (1) if it can be converted to fire a projectile with little effort. So initially, (1) includes everything that spits bullets, whether a handgun, rifle or shotgun or something else.

BUT THEN, you have to look at (2). Paragraph (2) flatly excludes all long guns, WITHOUT pulling back in any long gun that could be "readily converted" to a pistol.

So the PSP can only create this rule by reading the statute at night while riding a unicycle down a bumpy road, jumping back and forth between paragraphs and mis-applying words and clauses where they don't belong. Anything readily convertible to fire a projectile gets included in (1), then all long guns are excluded in (2). It's that simple.

(Lawrence County)

Just sent a letter to my Rep. about the illegal database of long guns they are trying to build.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast