Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    (Erie County)

Default Re: AR-15 stripped lower MUST be registered as a handgun - Legal issues?

I appreciate the responses. I have an odd question. If somebody is selling an assembled lower that has a pistol buffer tube on it, however you want it to build a rifle with it. Can they remove the pistol buffer and sell the rest FTF or is that dependent on whether it was purchased as a fully assembled AR pistol or was built from a stripped lower?? I know the "once a rifle always a rifle" but what about the other way around??

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: AR-15 stripped lower MUST be registered as a handgun - Legal issues?

Quote Originally Posted by H4ck.b0x7 View Post
    I appreciate the responses. I have an odd question. If somebody is selling an assembled lower that has a pistol buffer tube on it, however you want it to build a rifle with it. Can they remove the pistol buffer and sell the rest FTF or is that dependent on whether it was purchased as a fully assembled AR pistol or was built from a stripped lower?? I know the "once a rifle always a rifle" but what about the other way around??
    Handguns can always be converted into long guns. But long guns(first build) cannot be converted into handguns without NFA registration.

A firearm's first as-built or as-barreled(depending on who is making the judgment) status is what determines things. Some will go by the as-built(as the receiver is configured), others will go by as-barreled(how the gun is assembled with a barrel).

If it was built as a handgun first - a person can configure it as a rifle later, then switch back. But if built as a long gun first - there is no changing it to a handgun without first going through NFA procedures.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by H4ck.b0x7 View Post

If somebody is selling an assembled lower that has a pistol buffer tube on it, however you want it to build a rifle with it. Can they remove the pistol buffer and sell the rest FTF or is that dependent on whether it was purchased as a fully assembled AR pistol or was built from a stripped lower?? I know the "once a rifle always a rifle" but what about the other way around??

If it was purchased as an AR pistol in PA, then an SP4-113 would have been used by an FFL. Technically it would be a pistol. If the lower was transferred as OTHER on a 4473, then a FTF could be done because it would be hard to tell what the lower morphed into. IANAL, and this is not legal advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

My AR pistol that i built from a stripped stag receiver was bought as OTHER on form 4473 and NO SP4-113 and is NOT "registered" as a pistol!

I built as a truck gun that i can keep loaded in my truck!

Last edited by IIIIIREPOIIIII; August 11th, 2013 at 06:34 PM.
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Erie County)

Cool, that makes more sense now.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415