Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: AR-15 stripped lower MUST be registered as a handgun - Legal issues?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWag View Post
    I am not in my shop right now so I don't have a PA record of sale, but last night my brother pointed out the the record of sale must be executed "if the firearm is less than 24 inches long". Now the 4473, in note 18, clearly defines "recievers and frames as "firearms". Using this logic ANY receiver, including a Mauser action (remember the XP-100) would require the PA record of sale to be executed.

Steve
    Steve this is true. When I was on the phone with Trooper Anderson I asked him a specific example. I said i ordered a Barnard Single Shot bolt action from New Zealand to send out to Carl Bernosky to have built into a Palma rifle. I asked if that receiver would need to be on a state form and his answer was yes :/

this crap is getting worse and worse.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: AR-15 stripped lower MUST be registered as a handgun - Legal issues?

Rich & Rich,

Thanks for the clarifications. I have no intention of selling stuff other than incidental to tired of this/doesn't work for me/trade up sort of situation - I view this stuff as part of my legacy. Regardless, I don't want to run afoul in the arcane legal maze.

And on the original point:
    I guess I'm shaping up to be both a bit wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    I'm really not suggesting any conspiracy, but the implications could go further than the original FFL transfer if this becomes the official (,not law, but) regulation.
    And right.
    Quote Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    On the other hand, these are the same folks who bring us the (non-)registry ... Just sayin'
    Thanks for your help. Owe you both Rep. when I can.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

Why not file the lawsuit now as motivation for their legal dept to make the correct decision?

This is crazy. They're going to have a list of every gun!

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Ok, folks. back to the original topic:

Discussing the issue with Lieutenant L. is a waste of time. The folks at PICS have decided that a AR-15 receiver is a handgun even though they have not that authority. Not surprisingly, they don't understand that and/or are unwilling to concede.

Now, they HAVE told me they are waiting on the "legal dept" to make a decision.

I have spoken to an attorney today and am awaiting more info and his research into the issue, I may contact another attorney tonight as well.
    I figure we can wait to see what the PICS legal dept says. THen (or before) we may want to have a court ordered decision on this and/or order to force PICS t stop telling dealers to violate 6111. Meanwhile, I will be executing transfers per 18.Pa.C.S.6111.
    I will post more info on the possibility of a court action when I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel689 View Post
    Why not file the lawsuit now as motivation for their legal dept to make the correct decision?

This is crazy. They're going to have a list of every gun!
    Who would you sue, and what would be your legal standing? I suspect that some dealer would have to be officially told of the change, refuse to comply, receive sanctions, then appeal those sanctions on the basis that the rule is contrary to statute.

As for the list, yes, their real reason is probably the desire to keep track of these guns, which are otherwise "unregistered". If only gun registration were illegal in PA....

(Allegheny County)

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

Not true. Inaccurate legal statement removed. ~Staff You can't take a receiver that was once a rifle and build a pistol from it.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; April 4th, 2009 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildturk View Post
    Not true. If you plan on building a "Pistol" out of the stripped receiver it needs to be transfered to you as such. You can't take a receiver that was once a rifle and build a pistol from it.

Those are 2 entirely separate statements, and only one of them is true.

Yes, the NFA bars making a pistol out of an existing rifle, unless you register it as an SBR first. So we need to distinguish a "virgin & unbuilt" receiver from a "stripped" receiver. Any receiver that was once a rifle is a no-go for a Title 1 pistol build.

No, there is no law requiring you to "register" or have transferred as a pistol any virgin rifle receiver, whatever your intentions. You can buy 10 virgin rifle receivers today, let them sit for a year or 10, or build them up tomorrow as 10 pistols, 10 rifles, or a mix. Find the statute that says otherwise, either State or federal.

That mr556 with the incompatible lower is looking mighty good now.

no updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Again, this is NOT correct. Not since 2005.
    FFL's are allowed 50 per year before they are required to get an 07 and pay Federal FAET. Firearms and Ammunition Excise Tax.
    Ref: http://www.ttb.gov/pdf/50gun_exemption.pdf
    Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I don't think this is correct. If I understand it correctly, you need to have an 07 to manufacture in any capacity... however, only 07's that manufacture more than 50 per year are on the hook for FAET. Can you show me where I'm wrong?

"Manufacturing" by definition of the ATF includes a whole hell of a lot. For example, if you buy a plain ol' 10/22 and put on a new stock and swap a custom trigger group, you "manufactured".

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by tacticalreload View Post

"Manufacturing" by definition of the ATF includes a whole hell of a lot. For example, if you buy a plain ol' 10/22 and put on a new stock and swap a custom trigger group, you "manufactured".

The ATF just made a clarification on this subject and I am going to paraphrase but it goes something like...Swapping out parts that are considered "drop in" do not constitute manufacturing. I think last Small Arms Review had an article about it. So changing out stocks, custom finishes, even barrels on 10/22s (since they are truly drop in) do not constitute manufacturing. Again I am paraphrasing so don’t quote me verbatim.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by tacticalreload View Post
    Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I don't think this is correct. If I understand it correctly, you need to have an 07 to manufacture in any capacity... however, only 07's that manufacture more than 50 per year are on the hook for FAET. Can you show me where I'm wrong?

In addition to the PDF Iposted, I recall seeing a ATF faq regarding "gunsmiths" and other 01FFL's. I am looking for it. It essentially said the same thing, however it was geared towards gunsmiths.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast