Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    In a small town devoid of intelligent life
    (Luzerne County)

Default Turkey Hunting Gun

I have a question!

I have an old Rem 870 from the 1960's. 2 3/4 inch with a mod choke.

I have been told that this might not be any good for turkey.

Any opinions on this? I bought this gun for $275 last year, should I maybe try a trade with someone for a real "turkey gun"? I got this gun thinking I could use it for turkey, but I want to get into duck and small game also. I was told that a mod choke would be a good general purpose firearm for what I wanted to do with it, including home defense, but nowhere in anything I have read does it talk about 2 3/4 mod choke and turkey.

Thanks for any help!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Turkey Hunting Gun

The current line of thinking with a turkey gun is that of a gun with a tight choke, which delivers a tighter pattern over a longer distance. The reasoning behind this is because of the target we are dealing with. Even though a turkey is a large bird, we're not pointing(aiming) at the entire bird. The head and neck are the only real targets. That being the case, you want a shotgun that will provide a dense pattern so as to insure multiple hits in the head and neck (the kill zone) area.

I've heard it said that between 5 to 15 consistent hits in the kill zone is what we're looking for in a turkey gun. Most of your tighter chokes (full on up) will provide this out to some incredible yardages(for shotguns that is). Some people claim to kill birds at over 60 yards with their tight patterning guns. I think this is a foolish distance to try and shoot a bird regardless of gun but hey to each his own.

Now, to get to the point, yes, you can use this gun for turkey hunting. However, with a modified choke you're going to be limiting yourself in two critical areas. One, your pattern will not be as dense, therefore your criteria of 5 to 15 hits in the kill zone might not be possible except at the shortest ranges. And two, which has pretty much already been answered, your range is going to be reduced. Now in my opinion, using the gun you have, you should be able to stretch out a shot to about 25 yards and still be able to kill a bird. You need to try different loads on a patterning board to be sure. I will tell you there are many 2 3/4 inch turkey loads out there that offer much more shot per load than your standard loading, so in that respect you may be able to offset your lack of tight pattern with more lead in the air. Again though, if it were me, and I was going to use this gun, no matter what load you settle on, do not try a shot at more than 25 yards, with 30 being the absolute maximum.

I would question though using modern turkey loads in a gun of that age though as the gun itself may not be able to handle the pressures. You may need to stick with a normal high brass field load of about 1 3/8th oz......You didn't mention but I'm assuming this is a 12 gauge gun we're talking about?
    Last edited by Poonie; March 24th, 2009 at 12:38 PM.

(Lancaster County)

thats plenty of gun for turkey hunting. i would go for atleast a 5 shot and your fine. take the gun out to the range and shoot it at various distances to check your patterns and you will be fine. anyone that says you need a certain type of shotgun to kill a turkey is just telling you what "they " have. americans have been killing turkeys in the US for hundreds of years with plain ole shotguns or rifles . there was nothing "fancy" turkey guns to shoot turkeys with back 50 years ago and hunters did just fine. i started turkey hunting when i was a teenager with a 20 year old Ithica 20 gauge pump and did just fine. you just need to know what your gun is capable of and that takes going to the range and patterning it.
    No longer posting

(Luzerne County)

Thanks for the replies!

Poonie: who makes a good turkey load for my specs? Have any idea? I'm sure Federal does, I'll check out their page. Pardon my ignorance, but 1 3/8oz refers to what? Is that the weight of the total shell or the shot?

And yes it is a 12 gauge!

RiverPirate: that was my argument too. What did they do 100 years ago without camo clothing and special guns? You would think turkeys were never bagged prior to the last 20 years or whatever.
    Last edited by slewi; March 24th, 2009 at 02:05 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by slewi View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

Poonie: who makes a good turkey load for my specs? Have any idea? I'm sure Federal does, I'll check out their page. Pardon my ignorance, but 1 3/8oz refers to what? Is that the weight of the total shell or the shot?

And yes it is a 12 gauge!

RiverPirate: that was my argument too. What did they do 100 years ago without camo clothing and special guns? You would think turkeys were never bagged prior to the last 20 years or whatever.
    All the major players produce turkey loads, and all are good. You need to go to the range and test several different brands/loads/ shot sizes, to see what the gun likes best, and what patterns the best.

1 3/8s oz is the amount of shot in a normal high brass heavy field load. a 2 3/4 inch specific turkey load wil lhave 1 1/2 to about 1 5/8ths oz of shot, and as such more powder to propel it. You'll have the same penetrating power and velocity as the field load, just more lead in the air and thus more felt recoil. Again, I would not recommend these in a 40 plus year old gun. It may handle the load well, and it may not. If the gun was ten years old, I'd say go for it, but 40? Err on the side of caution.

Now, just because turkeys have been falling for years by grandpa using his old SXS what have you, is by no means the final answer to this. Sur,e gramps was taking turkeys back then, but was he doing so because the gun was dropping a proper pattern into the turkey's head, or was it by pure dumb luck that one or two pellets would hit the bird in the right spot? By no means am I saying an old gun won't do the job. And I am not recommending yo urun out and buy a brand new gun. Just test the gun you have first. You may find it perfectly adequate for your needs. You also might be disappointed too. Just test first.

(Bucks County)

I use a 20 ga O/U that is full/improved. Using Rem #4 high brass 'phesant' loads @ 40 yards I get 10 - 20 pieces of shot in the head & neck off a turkey target from EITHER barrel. I need to remember that the rear trigger is the full choke...

This gun is 80 years old & my grandfather used it hard thru the 60's.

My cousin's husband has an old 870 that was made into a turkey gun b/4 you could buy them. Spray paint camo & a choke installed by a gunsmith that, when you look thru it looks like someone almost stuck the end of a 16 ga inside the end of the barrel. It is a 2/75" chamber & he's killed about a dozen turkeys w/ it during the past 15 - 20 years...

My 20 ga sends a ounce of #4 shot down the barrel while the 3.5" 12 ga sends 2 oz. but the speed is the same...

Use it. BTW you could get another barrel threaded for a tighter choke too!

(Erie County)

As has been said, many a turkey was, and still is, harvested by people shooting standard shotguns. The secret is finding the load your shotgun likes, that puts out the densest pattern at your chosen hunting distance. Also, if you are not satisfied with the pattern your modified choke produces, simply purchase a new 870 barrel with interchangeable chokes, and you're set to go.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

(Luzerne County)

Allrighty then! I'm going to the sporting goods store (not Wally World) and will get a few different kinds to try. I'll let y'all know what I find out!

Thanks all! Can't wait to go and try to get me a turkey!

(Berks County)

Ok for turkey. However, how long is the barrel - if you get into waterfowl you may want something different.

(Armstrong County)

You don't need anything above 12ga 2 3/4" to kill a turkey. With the right stot placement, you could kill one with a 410 bore.