Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Anyone ever go to jail for a wpn that went full auto on its own?

Has anyone ever heard about an individual that was arreseted and jailed becuase he shot a rifle at a range and it went full auto on its own? I was having a discussion with a thick headed relative(Knows it all) My relative couldn't quote a name, date or time group or even the weapon. I am still waitin for the e-mail that proves it all.
    The way it was explaines to me this alleged individual was at a range shooting when his rifle went full auto on its own, a LEO was present and approached hi and the next thing you know this fellow is doing time. My understanding and IANAL is that as long as he didn't make any changes to the sear or modify the weapon in any form to make it full auto then he should have never gone to jail. What does everyone here say.

Default Re: Anyone ever go to jail for a wpn that went full auto on its own?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisH82 View Post
    Has anyone ever heard about an individual that was arreseted and jailed becuase he shot a rifle at a range and it went full auto on its own? I was having a discussion with a thick headed relative(Knows it all) My relative couldn't quote a name, date or time group or even the weapon. I am still waitin for the e-mail that proves it all.
    The way it was explaines to me this alleged individual was at a range shooting when his rifle went full auto on its own, a LEO was present and approached hi and the next thing you know this fellow is doing time. My understanding and IANAL is that as long as he didn't make any changes to the sear or modify the weapon in any form to make it full auto then he should have never gone to jail. What does everyone here say.
    short answer - yes it happened.

Slamfire in an AR-15 and poof - court dates and charges etc.

there's a thread discussing it here - will have to find official stuff for you, but I know it's out there
    http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/s...ad.php?t=44865

edit: here ya go -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Olofson
    check the links at the bottom for interviews etc as well.
    Last edited by Kaos; March 24th, 2009 at 11:53 AM.

(Franklin County)

The details are slightly different, but I'm pretty sure you're talking about the David Olofson case.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

That was very quick, thanks. I would hope that Mr. Olofson gets his day in court to overturn these charges and be compensated for his time, his name and the offensive treatment he received. I am glad that nobody called the ATF on me when my MAK-90 burped a few times many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisH82 View Post
    That was very quick, thanks. I would hope that Mr. Olofson gets his day in court to overturn these charges and be compensated for his time, his name and the offensive treatment he received. I am glad that nobody called the ATF on me when my MAK-90 burped a few times many years ago.
    Read the links. He had is day in court, was convicted, and is now facing Federal prison.

Regards,

Walt
    Author,
    The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide

first time I had my sks working it did a 10 round burst on me - I had more cosmoline to clean it seems

(York County)

Olofson had (allegedly) put a selective fire M-16 sear in the AR-15 which would allow 3 round bursts.

If your SKS, AR-15 or any other semi-auto firearm unloaded it's entire magazine through no fault of yours, it's highly unlikely you would be charged.
    Althoughly extremely rare, any semi-auto could go full auto due to parts wear.

Now, I once had a slam fire with an SKS (firing pin sticking) which let loose one round. I removed all the rounds and cleaned the pin...no problems after that. However, in retrospect, I'm amazed all 10-12 rounds didn't go down the tube. I've no idea why the rifle didn't keep firing.

(Allegheny County)

Way back I purchased a "NIB" Chinese AK with underfolding stock. This one was in .223, and I figured I'd put a few mags through it before sticking it in the safe. About 60rnds into the range session, every so often it would let go 3-5 round bursts. Didn't do it with any regularity at all, just when it felt like it. Had it checked by a gunsmith and nothing apparent was broken or modified. He replaced everything he figured would cause it and hit the mark somewhere in there since it never did it again. Likely something out of spec or such. My wife and I were the only ones at the range that day so no problems to speak of.

(Lackawanna County)

Actually, he DID NOT put that trigger group in; the manufacturer did. The manufacturer issued a recall post-86 to original owners only; the ATF supressed the existing copy of the letter from their files at trial; evidence that should have exonerated Olofson.

When that weapon was manufactured, only a chunk of potmetal in the casting stood between single and burst mode.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."