Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Ammunition Hoarding

What do you think constitutes hoarding? Personally, I see nothing wrong with having a case or 2 of ammo for each gun you have. Some say even more than that is OK, and I see nothing wrong it. If you don't have something stockpiled, you may may not be shooting on the days you want. The days of stopping at the store and picking up ammo on your way to the range are over.

Default Re: Ammunition Hoarding

There was a guy on here who posted about how he tried to go shooting, but after stopping at a few places couldn't find any ammo. That helped me justify my "stockpiling" for sure.

(Adams County)

Hoarding is when you continuously purchase something with the intention of NEVER using it except unless an exceptionally rare or implausible scenario comes true.

e.g., hoarding newspapers because some day newspaper may stop being printed and you might need them for some reason and won't be able to find them at that point.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Westmoreland County)

Alright, I stand corrected, let's call it Ammuntion Stockpiling. If a Mod. would change the title it would be appreciated.

I have more than I can carry in a full fledged zombie attack for each of my weapons.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Schuylkill County)

No different than "investing" in any other commodity like gold for example.

You should see our pantry, my wife stockpiles all kinds of things from paper towels to shampoo, to bottled water. We buy when its cheap or on sale and have a year or more supply of some items. I would not call us "survivalists" by any means. Just smart shoppers.

Every bullet you buy now is an investment. Either the price will go up or it will become impossible to get or even outlawed.

+1 rep on that coop.

That's why for me personally Im buying primers and powder and bullets instead of ammo. I generally spend $20-$40 every two weeks buying ammo - so instead I use that money to get a lb of powder and whatever is left in the budget in primers (small rifle/small pistol) - I just started this plan last week and it's working well so far; though my initial splurge is well over $150 now.

I just need bullets but Im getting set for some rifle bullets and some cast lead 9mm so I should be set there.

(Montgomery County)

This is really pissing me off these days. I should be happy that so many people are buying guns and getting into shooting, but I can't even get ammo for my LCP. It is literally a $280 paper-weight. I want to buy a reloading setup soon, but it looks like primers and other items are scarce or out of stock at most places. This is all great for the guns and ammo biz, but there are a lot of people that can't get ammo right now. Hell, I dropped off about 1,000 rounds of brass at King's a month ago to get reloaded. He said it would be ready in 2-3 weeks. Still not ready. I guess I'll be shooting rimfire until this mess gets straightened out.

Here is a good example of how fucked up things are right now.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=125298092

People are paying almost a dollar a round for .380 plinking quality ammo!

WTF!
    Last edited by 625; March 24th, 2009 at 10:32 AM.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Adams County)

I have no issue with stockpiling. Those rounds will either end up being spent by the owner, or sold.

If the price of ammo continues to rise, those who have stockpiled huge ammounts will most likely stop buying more or fire what they have, and the decreased demand will cause prices to drop.

If those who have stockpiled huge amounts end up selling their ammo due to the high prices (and their desire to cash in) it will make more ammo available and drive prices down as well.

If people continue to stockpile, companies will produce more to keep up with demand and eventually an correction will take place for a short time as availability overshadows the demand.

If prices never come back down, buying it now is a smart thing to do. I have a friend who bought 500 round bricks of .22 for less than a penny per round years ago. They still fire, and he could wear down his .22's before he runs out of ammo for them.

If prices DO come down, that ammo isn't wasted...in 10 years they won't be cheaper then they are now.

There are many other outcomes, but what it comes down to, is if you really ENJOY shooting...will you ever have enough ammo?

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    This is really pissing me off these days. I should be happy that so many people are buying guns and getting into shooting, but I can't even get ammo for my LCP. It is literally a $280 paper-weight. I want to buy a reloading setup soon, but it looks like primers and other items are scarce or out of stock at most places. This is all great for the guns and ammo biz, but there are a lot of people that can't get ammo right now. Hell, I dropped off about 1,000 rounds of brass at King's a month ago to get reloaded. He said it would be ready in 2-3 weeks. Still not ready. I guess I'll be shooting rimfire until this mess gets straightened out.
    I will tell you that if you're remotely interested in reloading that you need to buy your primers NOW. These are the hard to get items in reloading - powder isnt so bad and bullets are still available - hopefully you save your brass already...but primers...you'd think they were something you want in your investment portfolio.

You should be able to get equipment one way or another at some point, but grab your primers now if you're considering it.

I popped a movie in my laptop last night and deprimed probably a few hundred 9mm on a single stage - was kind of relaxing.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast