Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (York County)

Default Re: .45 ACP vs .45 GAP

The .45 GAP (Glock Automatic Pistol) is a shorter round than the .45 ACP.

I learn something new everytime I look on this forum!!! I never knew what GAP stood for until I read the replies.
    Rehab is for quitters!!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Archer4Life View Post
    Anyone want to explain the differences between the .45 ACP & GAP. Considering a new glock .45 and I am just looking for some advice. Any would be apprecitated.
    One has been tested for a century in combat all over the world, uses one of the most common ammunition calibers ever produced, is available in almost every action, size, and configuration of pistol imaginable and several carbines, has more handloading data than almost every cartridge ever loaded, and is as almost recognizably American as the flag.

The other is a cheap marketing gimmick to LE purchasing departments looking for a problem that doesn't exist yet needs solving to meet their bonuses, and an accident waiting to happen for someone who doesn't know what they're doing loading the wrong ammo in the wrong gun.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Allegheny County)

A good friend (Pitt45GAP) did extensive research before buying his. It is a fantastic round! However the only consideration he failed to take into account was the price of ammo. It is expensive to shoot and practice with. He switched to a Glock 17 and called it a day.

That's about the only thing I can tell you right now because I'm a steadfast 9mm guy but best of luck in your search!

Quote Originally Posted by QuakertownRich View Post
    I've NEVER found a single 45 GAP empty brass on the ground, EVER. Not sure what that means, other than NOBODY shoots it, or if they do, they are very tidy ppl. I am also a reloader, and I love the 45 ACP round. It's very easy to reload, lots and lots of available brass/bullets/guns that shoot it. Would I ever get a 45 GAP? Probably not. No reason at all to.
    I see GAP casings every now and then and pick them up, especially when they are mixed with .45 ACP. You are right about .45 ACP. The only tough thing about reloading it is deciding what to reload. And you are knee deep in firearms choices in revolvers and semiautos. For me, ACP is a better choice because of the broad range of options.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
    A good friend (Pitt45GAP) did extensive research before buying his. It is a fantastic round! However the only consideration he failed to take into account was the price of ammo. It is expensive to shoot and practice with. He switched to a Glock 17 and called it a day.

That's about the only thing I can tell you right now because I'm a steadfast 9mm guy but best of luck in your search!
    but that was then, and this is now

ammoman has 45GAP $350/1k delivered.
    http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm

better than any price I am finding on new manufacture 45ACP right now, and available.

I dont know that 45GAP will catch on more than it already has (not much) though, and long term that doesnt bode well. This is not really a ripe market for it, so after (if and when) this crazy buying surge mellows out do we think 45GAP will be more prelevant and still cheaper and available? thats an odd bet to place.

(Montgomery County)

I picked up a NIB XD45LE in 45 gap, couldnt pass up the deal $350, and it's easier to find the ammo for it than just about all the other calibers I have. Not sure if it will remain that way. The New York, Georgia and S. Carolina State Police/Highway Patrol have also adopted the Glock 37.

(Bucks County)

Thumbs up Re: .45 ACP vs .45 GAP

Quote Originally Posted by Sensortech View Post
    I picked up a NIB XD45LE in 45 gap, couldnt pass up the deal $350, and it's easier to find the ammo for it than just about all the other calibers I have. Not sure if it will remain that way. The New York, Georgia and S. Carolina State Police/Highway Patrol have also adopted the Glock 37.
    That's a darn good gun you picked up for a great price! I bought one years ago and it's one of the nicest shooting guns I've ever owned.

(Montgomery County)

The .45 GAP is a "me too" cartridge that solves a problem that never existed. (Unless the problem was Gaston Glock wanting his name on a cartridge)

I would not recommend buying anything in .45 GAP. Whatever the GAP might do, the ACP has done for 100 years. Why fix what is not broken? Plus, with the .45 ACP you can have your choice of revolver or auto, both of which are potent.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Chester County)

I agree with alot of what has been said about the 100 years of "testing" the ACP, load data available and versatile firearms available (I have a Colt Officers ACP and want a S&W M1917), but I just bought a Glock 37 today. Price did it for me. This is my first Glock (I have resisted the polymers in favor of Stainless Steel until today). And I figured for $400 new, the shop was loosing money to get rid of the unwanted inventory. And reloading will make 45GAP ammo supply easier.

Will I shoot it much? I don't know, we'll find out. I figure if I don't like my Glock experience, I can always sell it and not incur too much, if any, of a loss on the deal.

I don't think I'll stop using my Colt as a CCW though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12