Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default LTCF using out-of-state references?

Anyone have any experience with using references from another state? I've checked on the forums and I see that some counties don't even check references while others require in-county references... I'm in delaware county, which I understand is more stringent. I was hoping to submit my application within the week. Anyone have any experience?

I ask because I just recently moved from California, where I've lived for five years. Other than family members (who can't be used), the only people around here I'd trust as references are anti-gun and won't do it out of principle.

Nothing on the Delaware County application explicitly lists residency requirements for references. The Uniform Firearms Act doesn't say anything about reference requirements.

What's my best course of action? Should I just find some local gun buddies, quick?

(Chester County)

Default Re: LTCF using out-of-state references?

When I moved from NJ I asked that of the Sheriff in Chester County. I told them they could have two out-of-state references that knew me for 30 years or county residents who knew me for a month.

They told me that the out-of-states were fine and just note on the application that I recently moved into Pa.

BTW they never contacted the references.

As you stated there's no legal restriction on who can be a reference.

Personally I would just do as I did and ask they which references they wanted. You could go the quick friend route as long as they don't contact references. Someone from Delaware Cty will pipe-in about whether they check or check for previous threads as I recall it being discussed for Delaware Cty before.

Quote Originally Posted by waldrake View Post
    Anyone have any experience with using references from another state? I've checked on the forums and I see that some counties don't even check references while others require in-county references... I'm in delaware county, which I understand is more stringent. I was hoping to submit my application within the week. Anyone have any experience?

I ask because I just recently moved from California, where I've lived for five years. Other than family members (who can't be used), the only people around here I'd trust as references are anti-gun and won't do it out of principle.

Nothing on the Delaware County application explicitly lists residency requirements for references. The Uniform Firearms Act doesn't say anything about reference requirements.

What's my best course of action? Should I just find some local gun buddies, quick?
    See #5 at this link:
    http://www.co.delaware.pa.us/sheriff/gunpermit.pdf

(Lebanon County)

Cool Re: LTCF using out-of-state references?

I had the same problem when we moved here from MD. I explained this to York sheriff when I applied and they told me NO PROBLEM and I used friends from MD., including a police officer. They never even called them!! That was 6 years ago, and when I renewed and listed PA friends they (Lebanon) never called them either!

(Pike County)

Welcome to the forum, waldrake.
    When I lived in NJ I was a reference for a Pike county resident. No problem.
    Some counties want local references, which violates Pa law.

(Northampton County)

Northampton county here. Used two NJ friends as references on my LTCF. No issue. They didn't even call them though.

Jay

for non resident LTCF renewal in Centre Co,I used a buddy from Oregon as a reference they never called

Sprat
    Packing.org,Deloc,Open carry,Florida Carry Concealed,LFI Graduate

(Delaware County)

Delco resident here. On one of my renews, I listed friends from Jersey and Maryland. No issues and received my LTCF as always.