Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Why do you have your gun?

The title explains it all. My girlfriend is no stranger to guns. Her parents had them, her and I often hit the range (the bigger the bang, the happier she is---no pun intended) and I feel she's alright with keeping one on the nightstand at night. But that's it. When we go out, she doesn't understand why I carry one on me or in my car. I always get "why do you need to have that, we're only going to Walmart, dinner, whatever"? I pretty much just tell her that you never know when you will need it and that many of the crimes we hear about nowadays take place in department stores, Wawa, even churches.

I'm just wondering if anybody reading this has had similar questions from significant others or family members and what you had told them.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Why do you have your gun?

I get it all the time so I don't tell her I'm carrying and she never has a clue. When I do answer her, I say I carry just in case I have to save your life, my life, or stop the bad guy from hurting someone. I never want to use it, but it's here.

(Venango County)

The Mrs used to ask me the same thing. "We are only going to the store, do you really think you will need it?" or "Why are you wearing it when you are around the house?"

The world is a crazy place. It seems that every day you see in the news about robberies, rape, murder. These things aren't happening in the bad parts of town. They are happening everywhere. My sidearm might not save my life, but it will give me a fighting chance.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Dauphin County)

My wife although not raised with firearms in the home supports the right to keep and use them. She for many years always asked the same types of questions. But when we made a wrong turn In Philadelphia she quickly asked if had my gun on me. Lately she has not said anything when I carry it except when it is OC as she fears confrontation.
    NRA Life Member. OC is comfy!

(Pike County)

Does you GF buckle the seat belts? I bet she does. Ask her "why"? You are merely going to the wal-mart or dinner and have no plans to speed race or getting into the accident. I bet she does it because of the safety and not because of the letter of the law.

So whatever she'll come up with will be YOUR answer to her question.
    Last edited by Metz; December 24th, 2010 at 06:41 PM.
    Je suis déplorable

(Bucks County)

Keep doing what you're doing and don't ever give in. Eventually she will accept it. My fiance was anti gun when I met her about three years ago. That was before I owned any guns myself. I told her I wanted to buy a shotgun, and she said "if you have a gun in the house, I wont live with you." Three years later, she has four guns of her own, shoots regularly, and even carries a 38 revolver from time to time. When I first got my LTCF, she actually made fun of me for carrying all the time. Now if I'm without a gun (its rare, but happens sometimes ) she says, "oh my gosh, you don't even have a gun!?"

ETA: There were a few times when I had to go to PRNJ for work, and had to leave the gun at home. Every time, when I got home she would say, "Why did you leave your gun at home? Did you forget it?"
    Last edited by bac0nfat; December 24th, 2010 at 11:43 AM.

(Monroe County)

My favorite thing to say is what someone else posted in the past....tell her to take her spare tire out of her car....after all the chances of getting a flat are very slim.

When my wife was here she carried as well so I never had this problem and should I ever decide to get into another relationship it will be with someone who appreciates personal protection as much as I do.

(York County)

The pistol I carry is for those times when I am *not* expecting trouble, but trouble shows up anyway because my crystal ball isn't working. How has your crystal ball been working lately? If you are so sure about where I *won't* need it, perhaps you can tell me exactly when and where I *will* need it?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    My favorite thing to say is what someone else posted in the past....tell her to take her spare tire out of her car....after all the chances of getting a flat are very slim.

When my wife was here she carried as well so I never had this problem and should I ever decide to get into another relationship it will be with someone who appreciates personal protection as much as I do.

I love that response. Rep point for you
    Last edited by JasonK007; December 24th, 2010 at 11:51 AM.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Bucks County)

Around tewnty years ago, I was in my aprtment and my girlfriend (now: wife) had come over and we were preparing to go somewhere. i put on my holster and and as I turned around, I caught the 'eyerolling' in progress. I made a 'what?' gesture with my hands. She asked, "why do you have to bring that everywhere?" As I reached down to shut off the tv and was preparing to answer her, the local news sation broke in with a story of the shooting at the Luby's cafeteria in Texas. We sat down and watched it. After the initial five minutes of the broadcast, the point where they start repeating themselves began. i turned and said, "Does THAT answer your question?"

In the short time it took to watch the news bulletin I made up my mind that if she didn't 'get' it, she was not 'the one'. She got it!

Several times over the past twenty years, fate has given me MANY instances of affirmation of why I carry. That she is always right there when the news flashes about some shooting at a mall, school, church, wherever just confirms to me that God is watching and supporting us when we are doing the right things! One of the right things in my life is being prepared to defend all that He, in His infinite wisdom, has put in my charge.
    Last edited by AxiTech; December 24th, 2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: add another thought

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast