Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Mount Joy Range: No silhouettes any more!

I was at the Mount Joy Sportsmen's Assoc. range with one of my friends over the weekend. Now, I've been a member for almost 10 years, and I've always loved it. Yes, it sucked as they started putting up fences and such, but I could deal with it as its not a big deal (especially if it keeps costs down from idiots on the range).

So I hung up my usual targets- some bullseyes for zeroing and some human silhouettes for defensive gun practices. At one of the breaks, another shooter said we should check out the tiny little paper with the range rules.

Apparently at some point they changed the rules that human silhouettes are not allowed any more. I know when I made these targets, I checked to see if the club rules prohibited it- and they didn't. So at some point they changed this rule- much to my anger. And they did not notify any members (I read the newsletters) nor update the big sign or website.

I have my guns for defensive purposes- target shooting is fun but just a hobby. And if I'm going to have to shoot at some people who is attacking myself or another person- I want to have practice shooting at a human sized target. Now I can't do that. I wonder if they changed the rule that you can't do shooting 7-10 yards away from the target on an empty range to practice defensive shooting.

So now we have to find another range that doesn't allow the enemy to define their rules. Ugh.

Default Re: Mount Joy Range: No silhouettes any more!

Quote Originally Posted by libertyof76 View Post
    I was at the Mount Joy Sportsmen's Assoc. range with one of my friends over the weekend. Now, I've been a member for almost 10 years, and I've always loved it. Yes, it sucked as they started putting up fences and such, but I could deal with it as its not a big deal (especially if it keeps costs down from idiots on the range).

So I hung up my usual targets- some bullseyes for zeroing and some human silhouettes for defensive gun practices. At one of the breaks, another shooter said we should check out the tiny little paper with the range rules.

Apparently at some point they changed the rules that human silhouettes are not allowed any more. I know when I made these targets, I checked to see if the club rules prohibited it- and they didn't. So at some point they changed this rule- much to my anger. And they did not notify any members (I read the newsletters) nor update the big sign or website.

I have my guns for defensive purposes- target shooting is fun but just a hobby. And if I'm going to have to shoot at some people who is attacking myself or another person- I want to have practice shooting at a human sized target. Now I can't do that. I wonder if they changed the rule that you can't do shooting 7-10 yards away from the target on an empty range to practice defensive shooting.

So now we have to find another range that doesn't allow the enemy to define their rules. Ugh.
    Rather than going to find another range, have you considered bringing your argument before said club's board? It's a dumb rule - so start a petition by the club membership and bring signatures to a club meeting and bring it up.

If your club is like any other club meeting I've been to it should be wrought with people angry about one thing or another so it's the perfect place to picka fight.

(Bucks County)

Soccer Mom PC strikes again. !! Next will be Deer Archery targets.
    America castrated.

wait a minute, you want to shoot REAL bullets i can see this coming one day...
    FJB

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Rather than going to find another range, have you considered bringing your argument before said club's board? It's a dumb rule - so start a petition by the club membership and bring signatures to a club meeting and bring it up.

If your club is like any other club meeting I've been to it should be wrought with people angry about one thing or another so it's the perfect place to picka fight.
    Yeah, I'm going to do that first. If nothing else I am a member for another few months. But we are on the lookout for another range. Anybody have recommendations? Milton Grove?

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    Soccer Mom PC strikes again. !! Next will be Deer Archery targets.
    America castrated.
    no no Next will be PIE TINS!!! AHHHHHH
    ΑΣΦ

I'm surprised that range is still open with all of the developments going in around it. I bet they get tons of noise complaints...

(Berks County)

Come up to Palmyra Sportsmens- a little pricey but WAY worth it! And with all the land they own ain't nobody gonna build close up! Oh and silhouettes are welcome anytime.
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

(Cumberland County)

+1 on Palmrya, very nice range, most of the times I go I am the only one there during the day.

(Bucks County)

Smile Re: Mount Joy Range: No silhouettes any more!

Hahahhaa, you guys all missed the obvious solution to his dilema!
    www.zombietargets.net
    As we all know, zombies cease to be human after they have died and become zombies! Therefore, using a zombie target cannot get you accused of shooting at 'human silhouette' targets. However, if they change their 'little' piece of paper to read 'no shooting at humanoid silhouette targets', well, then you are screwed.
    Glad I could help, have a nice day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast