Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Permit in Montgomery County

There is a poster over on THR from Montgomery county who said that they are requiring him to get a form filled out by the local PD, who in turn want him to fill out a form listing types of guns and serial numbers... What the Hell is that?!?!!?

That sounds like registration to me.

Anyone from Montgomery have any problems like this?

Edit: Another thing, why the hell does Berks require 2 references from me? Where is the legal justification for this? Why isn't anyone suing to have uniform application costs and application requirements throughout the state?
    Last edited by TrybalRage; April 24th, 2007 at 05:06 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Permit in Montgomery County

Well you can file a lawsuit if you want.

Um... I didnt have to register anything here in allegheny and I would tell your friend do NOT sign that paper, to go around open carrying if he must, that'll tick off the police possibly but he still has every legal right to do so, and in the process can bring up the registration BS!

(Berks County)

The 2 references are nothing. When I applied for my permit in Chester Country bout 12 years ago I not only had to have references--also had to have a doctor's signed statement that I was of sound mind! Bet they don't have that requirement today.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by TrybalRage View Post
    There is a poster over on THR from Montgomery county who said that they are requiring him to get a form filled out by the local PD, who in turn want him to fill out a form listing types of guns and serial numbers... What the Hell is that?!?!!?

Edit: Another thing, why the hell does Berks require 2 references from me? Where is the legal justification for this? Why isn't anyone suing to have uniform application costs and application requirements throughout the state?
    Actually, the Sheriff is required to do a "character" check on you(see hi-lited text below). And to do that, the Sheriff/Deputy would have to speak to character witnesses, which would be your references. ...so it IS a requirement.

§6109. Licenses.

(d) Sheriff to conduct investigation.-The sheriff to whom the application is made shall investigate the applicant's record of criminal convictions, shall investigate whether or not the applicant is under indictment for or has ever been convicted of a crime punishable by impris*onment exceeding one year, shall investigate whether the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety and shall investigate whether the applicant would be precluded from receiving a license under subsection (e)(1) or section 6105(h) (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms) and shall conduct a criminal background, juvenile delin*quency or mental health check following the procedures set forth in section 6111 (relating to firearm ownership).
    Last edited by knight0334; April 24th, 2007 at 06:27 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

As for permit prices, according to some lawyers we've spoken to the Sheriff Fee Act allows Sheriff's some broad leeway in assigning fees to services such as issuing LTCFs which is why the prices vary so much from county to county. Unfortunately as best we can tell they are not breaking the law by doing so.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Actually, the Sheriff is required to do a "character" check on you(see hi-lited text below). And to do that, the Sheriff/Deputy would have to speak to character witnesses, which would be your references. ...so it IS a requirement.

§6109. Licenses.

(d) Sheriff to conduct investigation.-The sheriff to whom the application is made shall investigate the applicant's record of criminal convictions, shall investigate whether or not the applicant is under indictment for or has ever been convicted of a crime punishable by impris*onment exceeding one year, shall investigate whether the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety and shall investigate whether the applicant would be precluded from receiving a license under subsection (e)(1) or section 6105(h) (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms) and shall conduct a criminal background, juvenile delin*quency or mental health check following the procedures set forth in section 6111 (relating to firearm ownership).
    Sorry, earlier I was a little heated when I read about this guy's problem.

But still, if you are new to a county and know no one, you are effectively shut down from getting your license to carry. That doesn't seem right. Also, yes, I have some 'character witnesses' but maybe I don't want people knowing I carry.

(Jefferson County)

Sorry, earlier I was a little heated when I read about this guy's problem.

But still, if you are new to a county and know no one, you are effectively shut down from getting your license to carry. That doesn't seem right. Also, yes, I have some 'character witnesses' but maybe I don't want people knowing I carry.
    Believe me, I understand. I've lived in this area from birth to 8yo, moved away, then back from 24yo to present(34). I only know a handful of people not related to myself. It was tough finding 2-3 people to put down.

With how easy it is in PA to get a LTCF, the character reference thing is really a minor issue. ....It could be much worse: 3-6 month wait+interview+an extra $100 fee+training+lay down and bark+jump through this hurdle+having to prove need.

(Montgomery County)

I have never heard of the "type of guns" part before, might be something new.
    Tell your friend to put "none". You don't have to own a gun to have a LTC.
    The two references part has always been there, AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by rady8um View Post
    I have never heard of the "type of guns" part before, might be something new.
    Tell your friend to put "none". You don't have to own a gun to have a LTC.
    The two references part has always been there, AFAIK.
    Never lie to the government in writing, especially when they can find out that you're lying. They can run your name and determine if you've ever purchased a handgun in PA, and if you did, and it didn't get re-sold to someone else through an FFL, they can presume that you just lied.

If you lie on the application, you are not only breaking PA law, you are handing them the reason to deny your application. Philadelphia is doing that a lot now, especially for people who were arrested and acquitted who write on the form that they were never arrested. Philadelphia has an illegal 2nd page to the statutory Application that seems designed to entrap people into making false statements.

Either refuse to answer, or answer honestly. Those are the only 2 options.

(Philadelphia County)

In montgomery county, you have to get a local police check. Lower Merion does not ask you for anything but your name and address. What township was this?

Just write N/A for firearms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast