Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Opinions on High Point Firearms

I know this is a touchy subject as most people HATE high point firearms. Just wondering if anyone out there owns one and has any good or bad stories about them. Thanks

(Chester County)

Default Re: Opinions on High Point Firearms

I have never shot one.

When I was in the market for a .45acp I went to the gun shop and handled each .45 they had. It didn't matter if it was in my price range or not. I just wanted to get a feel for the various grips.

I did hold the Hi-Point for about 15 seconds. It felt like a brick in my hand. Very very top heavy and bulky. It felt crude.

This is only my opinion. I've never shot one so I don't know how well it functions. All I know is that I didn't like the feel of it.

(Dauphin County)

I own the C-9 9MM. While all Hi-Points are not the best looking pistols on the market, I can say that it is a very effective little handgun for the amount of money they cost. Fairly accurate and the recoil isnt that bad. I CCW mine and I use a Clip Draw and a Strong Side appendix carry. I would suggest for those of us on a budget that it is an effective handgun. I like mine so much I am going to be getting my wife one once I get her a concealed carry permit.
    Quote Originally Posted by GOULD, Circuit Judge, concurring:
    Second, the right to bear arms is a protection against the possibility that even our own government could degenerate into tyranny, and though this may seem unlikely, this possibility should be guarded against with individual diligence.

(Allegheny County)

lvfcfirefighter,
    Welcome to the forum!

I fall into the category of those who like the carbine, but not the handguns.
    Perhaps it's because the carbine only has a few others to compete with and the Hi-Point does what I want it to do(plinking)for a LOT less money.

When it comes to handguns, mine are there to protect me and my family. I won't accept a crudely manufactured weapon to fill that role. Most who argue for them point to the fact that they are affordable and that fact can't be argued, but I don't make that much money and MY choice was to slowly save until I had the funds to purchase what I truly wanted. However, if I felt my life were in danger, and didn't have time to "save up", I would choose a Hi-Point over a phone call to 911 any day of the week.

p.s.
    Since you're a "local", watch for announcements for the next Pittsburgh area pafoa group shoot! Meet some members and shoot some fun stuff!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lawrence County)

I was going to buy a Hi-Point in either 9mm or .40 S&W. I actually went to my local gun shop (Duke's in New Castle) looking for one. They were sold out. I then continued looking and found a Ruger P95 in 9mm... The price for the Hi-Point was $169, and the price for the Ruger was $289. I wanted a new gun (had been 2 years, long time to go without buying myself a new toy) and didn't want to wait a week. The Ruger was slightly used but clean and functioned flawlessly and was already broken in, a BIG selling point when you have a budget. With a box of target ammo it was $325 out the door. Mind you, I saved up for months, but it was worth it and I'll never look back. And unlike some, I liked the way the Hi-Point felt. At 6' tall and 300 pounds, I like a heavy gun with large grips... If that is all you can afford, then buy it. My first gun was a Taurus .25acp that I bought for 50 bucks after I traded in my Mossberg 12ga. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    And unlike some, I liked the way the Hi-Point felt. At 6' tall and 300 pounds, I like a heavy gun with large grips...

Im also 6 feet tall at 300lbs. I think the high point feels good.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by lvfcfirefighter View Post
    Im also 6 feet tall at 300lbs. I think the high point feels good.
    5'8" 155 lbs lol and I like how it feels, getting the 10 shot mags for the grip extension though.
    Second, the right to bear arms is a protection against the possibility that even our own government could degenerate into tyranny, and though this may seem unlikely, this possibility should be guarded against with individual diligence.

(Centre County)

My only experience with High-Point is in handling their 9mm Carbine. To be honest it felt cheap. (Well it is cheap so i guess thats not much of a negative) Originally i wanted to get one for plinking, but after handling it I changed my mind. (Instead I am going to save for a MP5 and do the whole NFA thing to boot...)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Allegheny County)

Rather than a remark a question and it only pertains if you plan on having this gun in the case of defense, not for sporting, or playing at the range.

I see it like this, Would you trust in your vehicle, a pair of cheap brakes or a mid line or top line set of brakes?

A mid line priced pistol, hecks even a used pistol would be good, you can get used pistols for around 100 dollars, in .380, mainly makarovs i've seen but still, a .380 with JHP would be good for defense.

You dont always have to go with the biggest caliber out there, for example, I want to get a desert eagle and an XD-45 for my collection, but I dont have the cash right now, and dont know about them for carry weapons because of the recoil. I carry and will be CCWing as soon as my permit gets to me again, with my S&W Sigma it shoots a .40 s&w not the biggest shot out there, but still powerful, and with the lower recoil than I experienced with the XD-45 I got to try out, I know I can place more bullets at in the proper position. I paid 260 which was the gun, a 10rd mag, a 14rd mag, and the case, as well as 1 year of any smithing work I need for free.

It all depends what you want it for, if you just want a gun for example to just hang out and shoot at the club/range with your buddies, then go for it. If you want it for defense, what's your life worth?

(Dauphin County)

I'm going to refrain from turning this thread into a pissing match over the quality of Hi-Point firearms. Just because the weapon doesnt cost 500 dollars brand new, doesn't mean it still isn't a quality weapon. And by no means am I a Hi-Point apologist, but for those of us on a budget that want or need a weapon now and not 6 months from now, this is the perfect solution. I haven't had a mechanical failure to date with my hi-point. It is accurate as most other mid level handguns and the recoil isn't that bad.

The price of the tool isnt going to save my life in a gunfight, but skill in using said tool will.

-Edit: If I had the money for a Glock or a Sig when I purchased my Hi-Point, I probably would have botten one, not because of the reasons that everyone says to buy one though, quality, but because the reason most other people buy them, the name.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast