Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Opinions on High Point Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by lvfcfirefighter View Post
    Okay, one good thing about the Highpoints is the Lifetime Warranty. Are there any other high quality manufactures that offer this luxury?

Does Taurus count as a "high quality" manufacturer? their lifetime warranty is fantastic. The cylinder release on my .38 locked in place and would not longer release the cylider. I paid for shipping to them in Florida I believe. I had a letter form them in two days telling me what was wrong and when it would be back to me. The gun arrived back right on time, clean as a whistle, fixed, and in a nice new box. For that reason alone I will continue to buy Taurus firearms.

(Jefferson County)

An uncle by marriage just got their 40S&W version.. Its ugly, but shot well after he got it somewhat sighted in. For $160, I think they are a decent budget gun.

There are way too many snobs in the gun world down talking something just because it isn't what they like. Sure, the HiPoints aren't a Glock, or a Walther P99, or a Colt Python for that matter - but they go bang just the same. And if sighted right, fed the right ammo, and time taken to get the feel of it - theres no reason why one couldn't do the same thing with it as another may with his/her higher dollar unit.

There was a story awhile back, sorta David and Goliath story.. It was the NEF/H&R Handi rifle($200) vs. a Dakota Arms falling block ($5000+) - guess who won.

(Dauphin County)

Cool Re: Opinions on High Point Firearms

I'm willing to bet that everyone on this forum wants the most for his money. The significant difference is that the higher dollar guns are made to be shot more for longer. The bryco I had was great but it wasn't durable enough for continuous use. If I had shot it every weekend, I can be sure that it woulda gone to hell years ago. As for their manufacture again I can't imagine they are upholding the warranty service on guns made by the parent company. Most all of the big name manufacturers warrant their guns "for life" the definitions of "life" are a little different or limited in some way but still. If you ask a large enough sampling of people you will get complaints with any company. I personally know of an individual that went round and round with sig arms. Sig still makes a really great pistol but there is someone who had a legitimate complaint. That story is echoed with all brands somewhere. The claims of great service are echoed around as well for all the brands. The sad fact in life is that you get what you pay for. Everyone here that isn't wealthy is limited by their finances and will buy accordingly. The guy who has a ton of money isn't going to be the one highpoint is marketing to, and the HK P-7 is gonna be off limits if you can never get up the scratch. Get the best you can reasonably afford. When thats not an issue get what strikes your fancy. I will not act like a gun snob towards someone that shoots a highpoint because at least they shoot. I have moved past that point in my journey but I remember being there.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by lvfcfirefighter View Post
    Okay, one good thing about the Highpoints is the Lifetime Warranty. Are there any other high quality manufactures that offer this luxury?
    My Springfield Armory XD 40 has a lifetime warranty (as do all XD's).

(Westmoreland County)

As with most of these posts that ask about quality of less expensive items, those that own and use them love them. Those that hate them know someone or heard of someone that had problems.

A friend of a friend knew this guy whose neighbor's uncle had lots of problems with one...
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Schuylkill County)

From my experience, High point handguns are of a lesser quality. The carbines and other rifles are ok.

A thing to consider is that they are considered by many "cheap" guns. I've seen a few ranges that do not allow high points and jennings on their ranges because of known issues with them.

If you are lookign for a less expensive gun there are many better firearms to choose from such as Bersa or Witness.

I have a 40s&w and a 9mm both are good shooting guns! Ihave a ex-marine friend that believes in his Glock alot until a $160 gun out shot it. My opinion about high point firearms is
    that it is a great gun for the money!The warrenty is great also it stoped shooting as accurate so I sent it back and they fixed the problem no problem!
    Last edited by rickym; February 6th, 2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: I seen the comments about the warrenty

(Lawrence County)

Then check this thread out... lol

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/lounge-10...dark-side.html
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Adams County)

Only time I have handled HighPoints was during shoplifting apprhensions....seems every kid from South East DC came to Gaithersburg/Rockville MD to steal the new Air Jordans (oops, dating myself). Once in the office, and searching through the numerous pants and boxers the punks had on...we would typically uncover a weapon of some sort.....almost always a knife...but when a gun....typically a HighPoint...Mont Co PD were in the habit of asking us right off the bat..."punk got one of those Highpoint things?"

(Montgomery County)

Most criticism seems to come from people who don't own one and have never shot one. Yes, they are REALLY ugly, but I think they are a great "range beater". Most of them seem to function fine as long as the factory magazines are used. I've shot a couple of the 9mm pistols. They functioned flawlessly. The trigger sucked ass in a big way, though. Surprisingly accurate. Would I want to trust my life with one? No, but fortunately I can afford better. If I could not, there are far worse guns out there in the same price range. I might get one some day just for fun.

If you are lookign for a less expensive gun there are many better firearms to choose from such as Bersa or Witness.
    Yea, but you can get two new High Points for the price of most new Bersa's or EAA's.
    Last edited by 625; February 8th, 2008 at 06:17 PM.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast