Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: Opinions on High Point Firearms

One thing that I am leary of, is leaving any of my firearms in my vehicle unattended. If i bought, lets say the high point .40 cal, ran a few hundred rounds through it, and got comfortable with it, I would have no problem locking it in my vehicle as strictly a car gun, either in a carsafe, or just tucked away neatly in a console, etc. If god forbid it was lost or stolen, so be it, I could replace it with another for less than $200.00. Not being a gun snob, or at least not intending too, but its seems to make fiscal sense that way.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Coustain View Post
    I'm going to refrain from turning this thread into a pissing match over the quality of Hi-Point firearms. Just because the weapon doesnt cost 500 dollars brand new, doesn't mean it still isn't a quality weapon. And by no means am I a Hi-Point apologist, but for those of us on a budget that want or need a weapon now and not 6 months from now, this is the perfect solution. I haven't had a mechanical failure to date with my hi-point. It is accurate as most other mid level handguns and the recoil isn't that bad.

The price of the tool isnt going to save my life in a gunfight, but skill in using said tool will.

-Edit: If I had the money for a Glock or a Sig when I purchased my Hi-Point, I probably would have botten one, not because of the reasons that everyone says to buy one though, quality, but because the reason most other people buy them, the name.
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

(Franklin County)

I have one in 9mm. Great gun. Accurate reliable and cheap. Only complaint is weight and capacity considering its size.

Quote Originally Posted by jsb889 View Post
    My nuts are worth a lot more than yours!

How does the warrenty service work? Extra cost, length of time it lasts? Not trying to hi-jack, just curious . Hi-point and Glocks (used) are what I'm looking at, and I know the Glock is better, but Hi-point don't sound too bad for a first pistol if I really can't wait! Then I'll add my review
    Hi-point has a no questions (pretty much) life time guarantee. Case in point- I challenged my son to a shoot off between his Glock and my Hi-Point 9mm. At 25, 30 and 40 yards I had better groupings and no Jams or Missfires. He had two Jams. I then had to go out of town for a week and as , what he thought would be a funny joke, he painted the receiver on his old mans Hi-Point PINK. I tried carefully sanding it off and repainting it black and even clear coated it several times, but it would chip of after several rounds. So I sent back to Hi-Point and within a week the returned my 9mm with a new upper receiver, new sights a new magazine and returned my Night Sighter sights from my old upper receiver. It may be heavier then a Glock and not as pretty- but it's accurate and if I run out of ammo and have to use it as a hand held weapon it wil knock that sucker out. Hit someone in the head with a Glock and it will just PISS them off. )
    Last edited by agdeforge; March 22nd, 2011 at 10:26 PM.

(Washington County)

Now THAT is funny.. I LOVE my Glocks and I think it is a good looking gun, but I have NEVER heard anyone else say that "It may be heavier then a Glock and not as pretty".. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by agdeforge View Post
    It may be heavier then a Glock and not as pretty- but it's accurate and if I run out of ammo and have to use it as a hand held weapon it wil knock that sucker out.
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdonnell View Post
    Now THAT is funny.. I LOVE my Glocks and I think it is a good looking gun, but I have NEVER heard anyone else say that "It may be heavier then a Glock and not as pretty".. LOL
    I call the .45 "the warhammer" and have always said it doubles as a melee weapon.
    [account deactivated]

Talking Re: Opinions on High Point Firearms

Last year i bought a high point 9mm for my wife to teach her how to shoot. I purchased the weapon at a local gun show. After shooting the weapon i was impressed so I purchased 2 of there 45's. I have shot over 2 thousand rounds thru all three guns and I am yet to have a issue with any of them. As long as you do occasional maintanice these guns work great. Yes they are inexpensive and they don't have the big name but in my humble opinion, they are excellent guns.

first off i don't find them ugly at all infact i never seen an ugly gun. sure there are manny designs but none ugly.i own every highpoint but two and i'll get then too when times is right. as for throw down cheapo trucnk guns well i would never abuse a gun like that. i clean and treat my highpoints just like my high dollar guns . like someone posted earlier all the bad stories come from someone who had a uncle's second brother-n-law's sisters brother's friend who had one and he said it shot bad and jammed. now if your a limp wristed shooter than i think you will have ftf problems because of the blowback design.out of all my highpoints i really can't pick a favorite because they all do what they are supose to do and that is fire bullets down range and hit the target.maybe we should just start a thread of just highpoint owners giving thier first hand accounts on what they think instead of others chiming in on hear say stories.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by agdeforge View Post
    Hi-point has a no questions (pretty much) life time guarantee. Case in point- I challenged my son to a shoot off between his Glock and my Hi-Point 9mm. At 25, 30 and 40 yards I had better groupings and no Jams or Missfires. He had two Jams. I then had to go out of town for a week and as , what he thought would be a funny joke, he painted the receiver on his old mans Hi-Point PINK. I tried carefully sanding it off and repainting it black and even clear coated it several times, but it would chip of after several rounds. So I sent back to Hi-Point and within a week the returned my 9mm with a new upper receiver, new sights a new magazine and returned my Night Sighter sights from my old upper receiver. It may be heavier then a Glock and not as pretty- but it's accurate and if I run out of ammo and have to use it as a hand held weapon it wil knock that sucker out. Hit someone in the head with a Glock and it will just PISS them off. )
    Is the boy still alive? Coz man.... it'd sure be tempting..

EDIT:: Also... While I think hi-Points are fugly guns, every one I've ever shot has gone bang without fail and been accurate. I'd rather have one than no gun.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Chester County)

I shot a Hi-Point 45 once. It went bang everytime but the thing was Fugly. A bulldog chewing stinging nettles fugly....

@Tommy 20/69 - Amen. I went to the range today and had an extremely nice groupings on all three targets - and I mean nice groupings- 1 1/2 and 2 inch consistantly. 100 rounds on todays outing and once again not one jam or missfire, tore the heck out of the center of the targets. Again, I do use my Hi-Point 9mm as my backup in my state vehicle - so I have no problem betting my life on it functioning or as you put it- sending shells down-range and being consistantly on target.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast