Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default S&W K-22 Masterpiece Info.?

I just inherited a Smith and Wesson K-22 Masterpiece. I am looking for any information on the gun out there, if you have any and I mean ANY information on the value of these guns, their reputation, or if you know anyone who has one and enjoys them...let me know! Here if some information from what I've gathered so far. I have the original gold card-board box that the pistol was shipped in that states: "Companion to the K-32 and the K-38 Masterpieces!", the box is very old(maybe 1930's-40's?) it still has the original "helpful-hints" pamphlet inside with a picture of a police officer shooting his handy pistol. The finish is probably at 85% since it has been in a leather holster for quite some time. So if anyone can help me out please do!

(Centre County)

Default Re: S&W K-22 Masterpiece Info.?

K-22 was the Cadillac of sporting handguns from its inception and the youthful shooter of the Depression Era probably had to make do with an Owl Head or something from H&R

i take them over Colt Woodsman anyday of the week

http://www.milesfortis.com/mcump/mc07.htm

http://www.gunblast.com/Cumpston_K22s.htm
    Last edited by Mity2; March 21st, 2009 at 05:39 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Franklin County)

I forgot to mention that this pistol is the 6in. barrel target version. The serial # is K1893822, if that helps with anything.

(Somerset County)

Oh , that is a keeper for sure.
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Centre County)

OK, here goes.

By the s/n your gun was made in 1953. Built on the square butt K target frame with 5 screws and 6 shot fluted cylinder with a nominal length of 1.6 inches. This model was the beginning of the K serial prefix range at K101. It probably has a 1/8" plain Partridge front sight. Rear sight is a micrometer click for windage and elevation. Standard blue finish, made with the post war slide action hammer block, checkered walnut stocks with the S&W monograms and diamond around the screw escutheon. Has a 6 groove forestrap and backstrap on the frame. The hammer is checkered and is .375" wide with a .265" wide serrated trigger with an adjustable stop. Serial numbers are found on the butt of the frame, cylinder face, yoke, behind the star extractor and on the barrel flat. "Smith & Wesson" is on the barrel's left side, with "22 Long Rifle CTG" on the right side. A large S&W trademark is found on the side plate. Beginning in 1948 the frame was stamped with the 4 address lines and is found on the frames right side above the trigger guard. Many examples are founs with a hole drilled in the frame under the grips, possibly to accommodate a lanyard pin.

In Exc cond worth $600, VG - $425, Good - $350, Fair - $250. These are the book values. Due to their popularity the prices typically go above this. Having the box and the original pamphlet adds a great deal to what it is worth.

These are VERY good shooting guns.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Susquehanna County)

An outstanding rimfire revolver! A favorite of Bullseye shooters before the advent of the semi-auto competetition gun. If you don't want it you can send it to me!

If Xringshooter's info isn't enough for you, try here:
    http://www.smith-wessonforum.com/
    or here:
    http://www.gunblast.com/Cumpston_K22s.htm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Philadelphia County)

Once you begin shooting that K22, it will come to you each time to the range,
    There is something about the Smith .22 revolvers that will grow on you.
    Next you will want another.
    Look in the gun pics area for "Smith .22 revolvers"
    We have a few pics there!
    Peter

(Susquehanna County)

I was just sitting here thinking that besides the K-22, a S&W .22/.32 Kit Gun is a dandy little piece for the day hiker/fisherman/trapper/hunter. Maybe you should try to find one and a K-38 as a companion pieces. Then none of them will get lonely, and you'll have three of the finest revolvers available.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Northampton County)

They are insanely accurate. It's a great gun with which to practice your shooting.

(Philadelphia County)

An absolute 'keeper'. I went shooting just yesterday with my neighbor - a relative novice. Took eight handguns with us. Out of them all, my Model18 (later version of your K22) was the easiest for him to consistently hit with and his second favorite (he has a thing for 9mm!).

If you are strictly into autos, the K22 would be a great revolver to have if you're only having one. If you already own - or intend to own - others, it's a great practice gun you can feed it all day for 10 bucks.
    Be Safe,
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast