Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Cool Game officer and me with my XD

My son and I were out in the SGL collecting lead and brass, where everyone goes to shoot. This is NOT a public range just a natural backstop area so its ok to shoot. JUST NOT SEMI's!!

Two people there shooting, one a .22 bolt the other a NO NO a .40Smith..
    The officer was talking to the kid with the .22 and then came over to me and my son..No mention about the XD in OC, asked what we were doing today. Told him, just picking up lead and brass. As we walked and talked to the poor guy with the .40 he was telling me about the rules of shooting in the game lands. You can shoot in SGL into a natural backstop only using legal hunting weapons.. 5 Minutes earlier and my son would have had the AR in his hands cracking off rounds!!!
    The only thing he said about the XD on my hip was that "the weapon your carrying is a violation" meaning if I was target shooting on game land with it. Never asked for a permit or anything pertaining to OC/CCW..
    All in all I learned a few things and met "the man" who actually turned out to be a pretty nice guy..
    And the guy with the .40, well he got a warning...Could have been worse I suppose... He could have gotten a ticket and My son and I would have had some issues with the AR. My son's 7!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Game officer and me with my XD

I was unaware that target shooting anywhere on SGLs except for designated ranges was allowed.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Luzerne County)

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lackawanna County)

Many of those Deputy WCOs are unpaid volunteers!
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

OK so let me get this right. We have PA game lands near here in Garads Fort. They have a outdoor range which they recently installed a short target stand that I of course assumed was for pistols. There is always all king of ACP brass laying around. Am I to assume all of these people are breaking the rules by shooting their 1911s and such?

(Luzerne County)

You can shoot anything at the ranges with the exception of full-auto stuff and shotguns. You do NOT have to shoot guns that can only be used for hunting.

(Lebanon County)

Cool Re: Game officer and me with my XD

At designated ranges you can shoot anything EXCEPT full auto, but must be a legal weapon....

The hunting weapon only rule applies to SGL other than designated range areas... You must have a natural backstop and you must be shooting a legal PA hunting weapon. No setting up targets....Which I don't get! The Game officer stated that the cardboard box the guy was shooting at was a violation...I have to find out about what target to shoot at....

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher67 View Post
    At designated ranges you can shoot anything EXCEPT full auto, but must be a legal weapon....

The hunting weapon only rule applies to SGL other than designated range areas... You must have a natural backstop and you must be shooting a legal PA hunting weapon. No setting up targets....Which I don't get! The Game officer stated that the cardboard box the guy was shooting at was a violation...I have to find out about what target to shoot at....

Try pine cones.
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher67 View Post

Last I checked, you cannot randomly shoot on a SGL, unless it's a designated range.

Can you not hunt with an appropriate caliber pistol (.38 and above) or an AR in Penns? Both are legal where I am from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast