Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Ladies concealed carry gun

Okay, I tried various searches on here. Now I have a questions....Please, ladies feel free to chime in!

Nearly every thread I've perused have recommended some various brand of semi-automatic. Why does no one use a revolver? I'm fixing to get my wife one, and was thinking about a Taurus hammerless. Nothing to chamber, no safety, just pull, point and shoot. Apart from the recoil of a small, light gun, why the semi preferences?

All three of my guns are semi's...H&K .45, Ruger p85 9mm, and a Makarov .380. I'd give her the .380, but it's got like a 6lbs trigger pull.
    Last edited by spratman; March 20th, 2009 at 12:20 PM.

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Ladies concealed carry gun

My wife has a new S&W 36 that she carries, that replaced an SP101; she personally likes the simplicity, feel and reliability of a wheel gun Most folks on here suggest letting the wife figure out what SHE is most comfortable with... be it comfort or style or caliber....

Quote Originally Posted by spratman View Post
    Okay, I tried various searches on here. Now I have a questions....Please, ladies feel free to chime in!

Nearly every thread I've perused have recommended some various brand of semi-automatic. Why does no one use a revolver? I'm fixes to get my wife one, and was thinking about a Taurus hammerless. Nothing to chamber, no safety, just pull, point and shoot. Apart from the recoil of a small, light gun, why the semi preferences?

All three of my guns are semi's...H&K .45, Ruger p85 9mm, and a Makarov .380. I'd give her the .380, but it's got like a 6lbs trigger pull.

My wife carries a colt j frame airweight 38 special hammerless 5 shot w crimson trace laser grips.. She thinks she is Annie Oakley now, its amazing how much more confident she became once i installed the laser grips.. Well worth the loot !!

(Berks County)

Thanks to you both!

Well, if I'd let my wife choose her gun, she would get a S&W model 29 44.mag. She has been enarmored with it since her first Dirty Harry movie.

I need to add some practically to the situation....

(Cumberland County)

My wife has a Taurus 85 that we picked up a few weeks ago, she likes having the hammer on it cause she can cock it if she wants or just pull the trigger. I picked up an sp101 3" last night, she was trying to take it and hide it from me today because she wants it. She likes wheel guns....lol

Sometimes there is a stigma attached to women and guns. Much like, they can't work the slide, they can't take the recoil of a revolver.

Then there are the men, (yes, you know who you are) that recommend their woman get a huge unmanageable gun just for the sake that they find it sexy.

Personally, I like both the semi and revolver.

The semi is a fun gun, cheaper to practice with at the range. Most semis are virtually pain free on a woman's hand, therefore more comfortable shooting.

The revolver has a serious punch and expensive to practice with at the range. Most women don't care for revolvers because of the recoil. On the other hand, (no pun) the revolver is easy to use. There are no safties and no fear from not being able to rack the slide.

Now its up to the woman herself what firearm she chooses to trust her life too. If she's not comfortable and can't become one with the gun, she'll never be able to use it proficiently and effectively in a bad situation. Her fear will be the gun. Never fear the gun you are trusting your life too.

Personally I would suggest her trying both type guns. Trust her judgment, as women know what they can handle. Women don't suffer from that macho thing that men do. A woman won't buy a gun she couldn't handle. She must handle the gun, not the gun handle her.

(Northampton County)

If she likes revolvers...get her a J frame. They make great carry/pocket guns. The Ruger sp101 is a great gun but is better carried on the belt due to it's size/weight. Forget Taurus & Rossi.

(Berks County)

Thanks, Michelle. Well, I know my woman. She has weak hands to begin with. I'm all for her picking her own weapon out. Buying a gun is definitely personal.

The only stigma issue that comes to mind, apart from urban legend, is when the FBI ordered 10mm S&W. Personally, I like the 10mm. (you definitely know you shot something afterwards) However, the female agents could not handle the recoil and damage to their hands. So, it was short lived and thus came the .40. (necked down 10mm). Not criticizing them, mind you, just stating a fact...

As with anything, practice will meld the individual to the weapon. It was a general question, because Front Sight training facility, first and foremost says, the preferred gun should be a "combat" gun. Glocks, Sigs, 1911, etc, with no secondary safety's. Revolvers also are not recommended. I just could not find a good rationale for their preferences.

Thanks for the perspective, it's greatly appreciated.

Whatever gun she chooses, be sure she carries it on her person and not in her purse which could be snatched, forgotten, etc

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by spratman View Post
    Okay, I tried various searches on here.

Nearly every thread I've perused have recommended some various brand of semi-automatic. Why does no one use a revolver?
    Boy, apparently you didn't search enough. Most threads I've read concerning a firearm for a woman have brought up revolvers.

Your wife must pick the gun. We just had a guy pick up a Charter Arms .38 (pink grips) for his wife that was put in PAFOA's classifieds within two weeks of the purchase. Don't make that mistake.
    If you don't think she can handle a 6 lb trigger on your .380, she probably would have trouble with any double action revolver.

All that said, I'll also recommend one of the light weight Taurus revolvers (85, 851 and others). I've got two of them (one 85, one 851). Both shoot quite well and are carried often.
    But, my comment about the trigger pull still applies. The DA pull is stout with both these guns. You don't want to lighten them up...you'd end up with AD's, ND's or light strikes.

Good luck on her selection!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast