Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default My AR-15 is Jamming... WTF?

Last night while looking over my ar15 I decided to cycle a few rounds from the mag through the rifle with out firing. (was bored I guess) I noticed one round cycled then the second and then on the third pull..

Wham!@ blam %^(* jam! (maybe not that dramatic... but still) Blam @$** JAM ***!

I pulled and pulled and pulled on the charging handle with no success. I took the upper off the lower and tried to pull agian, still nothing. That leaves magazine malfucntion outa the question. I took a flat head screwdriver and used a bit of leverage to dislodge the bolt&charging handle from its stuck location. It didnt take much at all which confuses me because I pulled as hard as I could and it didnt budge, but with a small amount of well placed leverage it *poped* right out.

After removing the round and reassembling the gun, I pulled the charging handle and with no issue it went all the way back and sprung forward.

I reloaded the magazine with the two rounds that cycled through before and put the magazine back in then pulled the charging handle. (Just to see if i can duplecate the problem, I certainly duplecated it) This time no rounds cycled it just jammed. so now im like wtf..

Anyone have any idea wtf I did? Also I just got back from the range the day before and I put maybe 100 rounds through it with no prob.

Charging handle pulled back with the mag in.

ofc =D

Rawr cant open it.

took it apart and got it to open this far.

Used the flathead got it open.

opend it half way, the round didnt seem to have any damage.

then a final look inside.

Ill post the rest of the pics later tonight when my email wakes the F up and recieves them from my phone =D.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
    Last edited by ••SpraynPray••; March 19th, 2009 at 09:55 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: My AR-15 is Jamming... WTF?

Because it has to be said - never run live ammo through your rifle at home for function checks, get snap caps.

I'd say make sure your ejector claw is good n clean. And cleaning the chamber can help too - shoot any poly-coated steel ammo recently?

(Montgomery County)

Yeah, ditto to never ever chambering live ammo in your house. Bad idea. That said, I had a similar problem while shooting Wolf ammo, only it was a spent casing failing to eject while I was at the range.

I'm not 100% sure anything is wrong with the extractor or the ejector, since you're reporting that it was hanging on with a deathgrip to the casing. (In case you're confused, the extractor is the claw, and the ejector is the little spring loaded button that presses on the cartridge)

Seems more like there is something wrong with the chamber itself, so I would scrub the living snot out of the chamber. Gunk loves to get stuck all inside there so give it a good cleaning. Otherwise, I'm gonna wait to see the rest of the pics before I say any more.

(Centre County)

From that picture it looks like the round (at the rear) is too deep in the magazine. If the bolt were to come forward and not catch the rim it would contact the round about mid way up the case and jam it.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Also - if your bolt is locking back when pulling the charging handle back (and there's ammo in the mag) - I would lean towards a magazine issue first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    Because it has to be said - never run live ammo through your rifle at home for function checks, get snap caps.
    Point taken.. Curiosity killed the cat =D

And no just brass.

Wont be able to do pictures until i can figure wtf is wrong with my email.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Also - if your bolt is locking back when pulling the charging handle back (and there's ammo in the mag) - I would lean towards a magazine issue first and foremost.
    It's funny, I was just thinking the same thing: the magazine. OP, if you haven't already tried a different mag, do so. Try full mag, half mag, and 2 rounds. Also, try different ammo.

Al

nope, the bolt didnt/doesnt lock back with the loaded mag. just locks with the round in the chamber.

I thought I had my rifle purty clean but i guess not. By looking at the photos, it seems the flash has revealed some hidden gunk -_-. Im gonna clean it, take it out and see if it operates properly. *crosses fingers*

(Bucks County)

Your pictures sent the same chill up my back that I had when my hand was about to put firm pressure on the trigger of a loaded malfunctioning shotgun in my house.

Keep us posted on what you find after you buy some snap caps.
    "Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American" Pennsylvania Gazette, February 20, 1788
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast