Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default NFA Class 3 Questions

To All, please forgive me in that I am crunched for time. I am a service member who is finishing up the last week of my vacation before being sent back over seas. I have done some research online but figured that I could get to the answer quicker by asking those who are already up to date on the information. My curiosity is as follows: I grew up in Texas and moved to PA back in 2003. Since then, I have spent most of my time overseas. What steps do I need to undertake and obtain my class 3 license for assault rifles here in PA. I just acquired my CCP and before I head back I would like to start he process for the class 3 here in PA. Please give me a crash course and educate. Thanks!

Default Re: NFA Class 3 Questions

could you define what you mean by "assault rifles"

(Montgomery County)

First, welcome to the board - and thank you for your service.

Now, to clear up a few things.

Here in PA it is called a LTCF (license to carry firearms) and not a CCP.

Next, you do not need any special license to purchase semi auto rifles or pistols for that matter.

Lastly, there is no class 3 license. If you wish to purchase a full auto rifle, you will need to find a C3 dealer that has what you want then you will need to fill out a form 4, get your local CLEO to sign it, get finger printed, attach a passport sized photo, include a citizenship form and mail the said items x2 along with a check for $200 to the batfe. After you wait about 4-5 months, your full auto dealer will call you to come pick it up.

Also, since new full auto guns have been banned from being made since 1986 - they are kinda spendy.
    Last edited by Guns4Fun; July 20th, 2009 at 01:39 PM.

(Jefferson County)

1. There is no class 3 license unless you are dealing, and they are FFL's with a Class 3 SOT. There is no license to own a gun in PA.

2. "assault rifles" are full auto or burst mode firearms, either requires a Machinegun transfer of a MG registered prior to 1986. Its a $200 fee for the stamp, plus the normal NFA paperwork. And machineguns range in price from $3500 for a cheap MAC9/10/11 to $20000 for a real M16.

Now if you were talking about semi-auto rifles that look like "assault weapons", you can go down to a gunshop and buy one like you would a deer rifle or bird gun.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    First, welcome to the board - and thank you for your service.

Now, to clear up a few things.

Here in PA it is called a LTCF (license to carry firearms) and not a CCP.

Next, you do not need any special license to purchase semi auto rifles or pistols for that matter.

Lastly, there is no class 3 license. If you wish to purchase a full auto rifle, you will need to find a C3 dealer that has what you want then you will need to fill out a form 4, get your local CLEO to sign it, get finger printed, attach a passport sized photo, include a citizenship form and mail the said items x2 along with a check for $200 to the batfe. After you wait about 4-5 months, your full auto dealer will call you to come pick it up.

Also, since new full auto guns have been banned from being made since 1986 - they are kinda spendy.
    Thanks for info, glad I looked at this thread. Now I know why I was jumped on when I asked simular question. So, u have too buy something that was made before 1986?
    Sector-4

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ofc520bhpd View Post
    Thanks for info, glad I looked at this thread. Now I know why I was jumped on when I asked simular question. So, u have too buy something that was made before 1986?

Correct, for normal civilians, it must have been registered with the batfe prior to may of 1986. There have been no newly made (for civilians) machine guns since then. That is why they cost so much. There is a fixed supply with varying demand.

Edit

Civilian machine guns have needed to be registered with the batfe since 1934. But up until 1986, you could have made your own m16 by filling out a form 1. Still requiring regestration but a lot cheaper. Plus before 1986, m16 were only about $100-$200 more than an AR15. Now they are 10 - 15 times the cost of an AR because of the fixed supply.
    Last edited by Guns4Fun; July 20th, 2009 at 02:07 PM.

(Franklin County)

Knight... thanks for explaining the term for me on my behalf.

Thanks to all for the info, I picked up a lot of info today that I was not aware of. Ex: That you have to pick up a gun built earlier than 1986.

There are a couple of acronyms that I have question about. What do the following mean?

batfe

CLEO

Thanks everyone!!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by AdrnJky View Post
    Knight... thanks for explaining the term for me on my behalf.

Thanks to all for the info, I picked up a lot of info today that I was not aware of. Ex: That you have to pick up a gun built earlier than 1986.

There are a couple of acronyms that I have question about. What do the following mean?

batfe

CLEO

Thanks everyone!!

BATFE = Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives

CLEO = Chief Law Enforcement Officer
    I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. -- Susan B. Anthony, July 1871

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: NFA Class 3 Questions

Correct, for normal civilians, it must have been registered with the batfe prior to may of 1986. There have been no newly made (for civilians) machine guns since then. That is why they cost so much. There is a fixed supply with varying demand.

Edit

Civilian machine guns have needed to be registered with the batfe since 1934. But up until 1986, you could have made your own m16 by filling out a form 1. Still requiring regestration but a lot cheaper. Plus before 1986, m16 were only about $100-$200 more than an AR15. Now they are 10 - 15 times the cost of an AR because of the fixed supply.
    thanks for the info
    Sector-4

On the plus side since the economy is dropping and ammo is still high they are dropping (some) in price

MAC's are hovering below $3000 (just saw 2 M10s for $2300ea)
    STEN's are back atound 4K
    I just saw a M2 carbine conversion (no gun) for $3500
    M2HBs are down to 17K
    1919a4's down to 12-13K
    MG42s are down to the high 20s

clone M16's (oly, sendra & EA) have been holding around 10K for about 2 years

I've seen colt 614's for 11K

UZI's and HK sears seem to be holding steady.

buy up while thay are cheap
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast