Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Legal for traffic stop because of shopping?

I was watching DEA the other night (its in NJ this year) and they were watching this BBQ joint, there was not enough evidence for a search warrant, they couldn't do anything but watch it.

So they started picking customers at random who did nothing but shop there and pulling them over, searching their cars for drugs and then they found pills on one kid that he wasn't supposed to have so they used him as an informant to go try to buy drugs from the store.

- is that legal? Can they just pull you over for no reason other then you shopping at a legit business?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Legal for traffic stop because of shopping?

I'm sure they could make up some reason to pull you over. Then the intimidation factor comes in about how much trouble they are gonna make for you, etc, etc. Then that prompts you to allow the search, which gets them ammo to use against you, which elicits the "cooperation" for a lesser charge, when really the officers have no ability to offer you a lesser charge, that is for the DA to decide, and they are yankin yer chain. Hence why STFU is the best advice to have when dealing with the police. Assert your rights, POLITELY, and stick to them and don't give in when your're being badgered.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

IANAL, but no I don't think that's legal. That said it sure as hell ain't gonna stop anyone.

(Northampton County)

Doesn't sound legal.

But hey, you know how we have to get those drugs off the street, for the children, so anything goes in order to accomplish that goal. I mean, look at how drugs create black markets and drug gangs. Incredible.

In fact, I think that police should be able to go door to door with dogs in order to get all the drugs. For the children. Because this one time I heard of someone who was an alcoholic and chain smoker, but that ultra-addictive marijuana ruined his life, and he beat his children because of it. Evil, evil drugs.

Ok, I'll stop...

At any rate, I've given up on watching those kinds of shows anymore because I can't stand to watch the abuses of police power. I get to read enough about that in the news...
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lackawanna County)

Well, I know how to read, so..... This is PRNJ we're talking about (from my understanding) so it's probably legal. However - and this is where that being able to read comes in - it is a violation of the bill of rights if they didn't consent to a search. According to the fourth ammendment:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
    Now, I know it's a little clumsy with punctuation, but what it says in a nutshell: you can't be searched without a warrant, and it describes what needs to exist for a warrant.

(Lehigh County)

considering you are talking about a state that would imprison you for life over a box of .22's with that little dimple on the tip, I'm not certain you could mount any type of logic/legality assessment against said State.

The PDRNJ sure as shinola doesn't give a crap about the Constitution, and willfully allows it's government officials and agents to break the law ad lib.
    Last edited by Ten*K; March 20th, 2009 at 02:02 AM.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Allegheny County)

Well I was watching TV and saw this episode last night on DEA. Holy shit, I was livid! That was such bullshit, they used a "Ok we are gonna say the driver matches a robbery suspect and that is our RAS for the stop" I would guess if you are saying that shit on TV, IANAL but isn't anything they find gonna get tossed? I mean they were pulling people over who had barbeque from the place and asking to see the food and shit. Insane!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Montanya View Post
    Well I was watching TV and saw this episode last night on DEA. Holy shit, I was livid! That was such bullshit, they used a "Ok we are gonna say the driver matches a robbery suspect and that is our RAS for the stop" I would guess if you are saying that shit on TV, IANAL but isn't anything they find gonna get tossed? I mean they were pulling people over who had barbeque from the place and asking to see the food and shit. Insane!
    yup, then the one piece of shit laughs because the guys ribs fell all over the passenger seat.

Just unreal
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    yup, then the one piece of shit laughs because the guys ribs fell all over the passenger seat.

Just unreal
    Yeah that pissed me off too. This is why it is sooooo important for people to know their rights and stand their ground on their rights. They have ZERO RAS to stop the vehicle except for made up shit, they have ZERO reason to SEARCH the vehicle or question the occupants. But people are scared cause now their care is surrounded by DEA agents and they are intimidated so they waive their rights.