Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default help me build an AR

I'm looking to build an inexpensive AR as I want to learn how as well as jump aboard the train before anything possbily gets banned.

I don't have much to work with, but I don't mind buying important parts now and get the rest down the road (by the rest, I mean things that can be bought down the road even if a ban was set in place). I'm assuming the lower should be the first piece to buy?

I'm looking about 800 dollars to spend.

My first question, what inexpensive stripped lower and kit would you recommend? I want to order it and get it shipped before Easter. So with that in mind, what, if anything, is in stock?

Also, then, what upper would you recommend. Again, any in stock anywhere??

Thanks guys!

(Fayette County)

Default Re: help me build an AR

depends on what brand lower you want as they go from anywhere to $100 (essential arms) to $ 200 or more for DPMS, RRA, Spikes, etc. lower parts kits are up around $100, so you can have a lower for around $200-$300 depending on lower.

uppers you can buy pre built. model 1 sales and Del-Ton would be a couple good companies to look at. but you'll be waiting a while. those can go anywhere from $400 and up.

i went with a Del-Ton A3 mid length when i put mine together last summer. it came with the stock and LPK. fully assembled, headspaced and test fired. the only thing i got on mine were M4 feedramps and a Chrome lined barrel. i think it cost me right under $700. optics and sights will add to your price aswell. i've put probably another 2-300 into it since then.

if you do some serious shopping you could probably get away with a bare bones A2 style kiss rifle for maybe as low as $600. but most likely you'll be looking at around $800 if not more for an entire kit gun, lower and all.

as far as i know nobody really has anything in stock and they have been filling orders since November. a group buy of Stag uppers on arfcom has a listed wait of 22 weeks. from what i understand people who ordered theirs from delton around Obama's takeover are in to this august before they get them.

lowers are easier to get now, but the uppers are hell to find.

i myself was looking into putting together another kit gun with my tax check but i dont fell like waiting until next year to get an upper.

good luck

(Monroe County)

Yes get the Lower first as the lower is the actual Gun, most of the lowers out there are good quality stuff, id go with a Bushy to be safe, then check out Double star for a good upper and parts kit, all top notch stuff, for $800 bucks you can build a quality AR , you can do it for $600, spend the rest on mags and ammo.

Nyman

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Yes get the Lower first as the lower is the actual Gun, most of the lowers out there are good quality stuff, id go with a Bushy to be safe, then check out Double star for a good upper and parts kit, all top notch stuff, for $800 bucks you can build a quality AR , you can do it for $600, spend the rest on mags and ammo.

Nyman
    Honestly I think they days of cheap ARs might be over for a while. The problem is that for the 800 you plan to spend you aren't going to get a fantastic rifle.

Add another 2-300 on top of it and you're going to get a much better piece of hardware. If you're looking for off the shelf quality/price ratio - have a look at M&P 15's - they even have a nicely done magpul version - or Daniel Defense's basic carbine. Youll pay a little more up front but the quality will be superior to dpms, ds, rock river etc..

(Chester County)

Good resource: www.ar15.com then click on AR-15 > AR Discussions > AR Discussions FAQ & General Information Resource (Read First)

Here's a direct link to that http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=118&t=306487

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Honestly I think they days of cheap ARs might be over for a while. The problem is that for the 800 you plan to spend you aren't going to get a fantastic rifle.

Add another 2-300 on top of it and you're going to get a much better piece of hardware. If you're looking for off the shelf quality/price ratio - have a look at M&P 15's - they even have a nicely done magpul version - or Daniel Defense's basic carbine. Youll pay a little more up front but the quality will be superior to dpms, ds, rock river etc..
    +1

If you bump up your max $$ to like $1100. You can get a very nice AR now. You still could probably do it for close to $800 if your patient and really look around. Plus you can't go with the "nice" upgrades, a basic M4 style could be done at a decent price.

Check ar15.com's equipment exchange, anvil arms, bravocompanyuse.com
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    +1

If you bump up your max $$ to like $1100. You can get a very nice AR now. You still could probably do it for close to $800 if your patient and really look around. Plus you can't go with the "nice" upgrades, a basic M4 style could be done at a decent price.

Check ar15.com's equipment exchange, anvil arms, bravocompanyuse.com
    +1

Though: I'd avoid anvil for the time being. Their customer service has been very poor as of late. Lowers are lowers, as long as they're nice vulcan or hesse they generally run with no issue.

Im currently building a DPMS lower into a CMP gun and then another "tricked out" one on a billet lower receiver - going to end up with an AR-57 upper to start.

Just finished a more expensive build (and I say finished loosely because it still needs the FF tube.) for somewhere in the 2200-2800 range (counting shipping etc)

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post

I understand where you're coming from with this. However, I have to say as a regular Joe shooter on a budget, spending an additional $300 (more likely more) for a "premium" AR isn't necessary. RRA, DPMS, Spike, etc. are good solid products. A non-avid hobbyist is not going to be able to appreciate the superior quality of LMT, DD, Noveske, particularly on a self-built system. I have a factory M&P 15T and building one with a DPMS lower, RRA LPK, a USGI contractor upper, Wilson barrel, and (a soon to arrive) YHM Diamond handguard. So far, I am not sure where the superior quality really comes into play. The parts look pretty much good quality to me, but then again I am not an expert. Is the premium gun going to have a better trigger system out of the box? Is it going to be much more accurate for just some fun? Will my built AR break easier if it's not all "high quality" parts? I'm not so convinced.

To the OP,
    The first thing you will need is patience...and plenty of it. Like Kaos said, you're not going to be able to build one for the sake of saving money. If anything, you'll spend as much or or not much less considering the tools needed, the time spent researching, etc.. Where it's great is the learning process. I really enjoy it. (This is my first build that is not yet completed and I am also building 2 pistols). Parts will take time to gather. They are sold out EVERYWHERE. Barrels are especially difficult to find. Gun shows are good sources for parts.

For the process itself, watch ALL of the videos here: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Gun...p=0&t=1&i=1103

Don't be too discouraged with the tools in the video, I found that I didn't really need a lot of them...so far.

Good luck and happy building!
    Al

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    So far, I am not sure where the superior quality really comes into play. The parts look pretty much good quality to me, but then again I am not an expert. Is the premium gun going to have a better trigger system out of the box? Is it going to be much more accurate for just some fun? Will my built AR break easier if it's not all "high quality" parts? I'm not so convinced. Al
    Im wondering about this also. Ive seen the more expensive guns and they are friggin sweet, but when people tell me what they paid my eyes spin. What is it about the better brands that makes them better? .

(Lancaster County)

Well, I found locally a brand new DPMS panther for 899 as well as a Stag arms for 999. I think I might go this route.

The Stag seems beefier, but with the handle, is it true you can't add a scope?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast