Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fla. carry w/ old PA Hunter Safety course?

I remember taking and passing a Hunter Safety course here in PA in jr. or sr. high school 30 to 35
    years ago. I got the patch and I suppose some type of certificate, which I don't have anymore.
    If I can get a copy of this certificate from the game commission, which I seem to be able to do according to their website, will this suffice for the state of FLA carry permit requirement or would it be too old? Has anyone used a certification this old successfully?
    Thanks.

(Clinton County)

Default Re: Fla. carry w/ old PA Hunter Safety course?

I doubt it, Hunter safety courses are not related to CCW, in 1996 I retired from the Camden,NJ Police and when I movet to TN I had to take their 2day CCW course and later met retired TN cops whe also had to take the course to get their handgun carry permits.

(Allegheny County)

HiredGoon,

On the Florida App.

"A photocopy of a certificate or card showing completion of a hunter education or safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state."

The copies must be clear and have legible signatures.

It makes no reference to time frame.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Jefferson County)

As 27Hand stated, a certificate of completion would be honored as training for the FL permit. Virginia also honors hunter safety course cert.'s as well for their nonresident license.

Quote Originally Posted by Montell C. Williams View Post
    I doubt it, Hunter safety courses are not related to CCW, in 1996 I retired from the Camden,NJ Police and when I movet to TN I had to take their 2day CCW course and later met retired TN cops whe also had to take the course to get their handgun carry permits.
    Spoken like a true NJ cop. Fl. clearly states that proof of a hunter safety course is adequate. We can debate all year what level of training one needs to be "prepared" to defend your life, but if anyone has been trained to handle a long gun for hunting they posses the skills to safely handle a handgun after becoming familiar with that particular firearm. Training at that point becomes just another expense, or a concession to please liberal factions of that state.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    We can debate all year what level of training one needs to be "prepared" to defend your life, but if anyone has been trained to handle a long gun for hunting they posses the skills to safely handle a handgun after becoming familiar with that particular firearm. Training at that point becomes just another expense, or a concession to please liberal factions of that state.
    Not in my experience.

My hunter safety course bore little resemblance to even the most rudimentary form of handgun training to which I've been exposed. That was 30 some years ago so maybe the syllabus has hopefully changed and improved.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    On the Florida App.

"A photocopy of a certificate or card showing completion of a hunter education or safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state."
    This surprises me yet it doesn't.

I can't believe a hunter safety course is an adequate pre-requisite for a FL LTC. Then again, FL has turned their LTC program into a revenue generating enterprise.

(Berks County)

My hunter safety course bore little resemblance to even the most rudimentary form of handgun training to which I've been exposed. That was 30 some years ago so maybe the syllabus has hopefully changed and improved
    Went through it again with my daughter last year, it has changed, they stressed firearms safety very heavily. While handguns weren't covered for the most part, the course was very good from a firearms safety standpoint.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Chester County)

I used my hunter safety course for my FL CCW. I took it many years back. It was a 12 or 16 hour course. It went over every firearm. From black powder to long arms with hand guns as well.

They tought conservation,proper handling of all firearm, firearm training caliber understaning, bow. My course was tought by the NY state conservation and water ways agency. I believe this is what fl is looking for.

(Dauphin County)

Then again, FL has turned their LTC program into a revenue generating enterprise.
    http://www.fireinstitute.org And this would be....??? Provided free as a public service?

You make it sound like a bad thing, Tony.
    Last edited by Pappy John; April 23rd, 2007 at 12:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast