Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Took my wife for her LTCF yesterday

I took my wife down to the Monroe county Sheriffs office yesterday; she was born in Norway and is a resident alien since she was 2 years old. While submitting here application she was asked to provide 90 days worth of utility bills. I found this strange and wanted to know if anyone has ever heard of this before or is it just another add on by the sheriffs department to lengthen the process. I had to drive her home and dig up some bills and it was just a pain in the rear to make a second trip.
    Last edited by DennisH82; March 17th, 2009 at 07:38 AM. Reason: SP

Default Re: Took my wife for her LTCF yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by DennisH82 View Post
    I took my wife down to the Monroe county Sheriffs office yesterday; she was born in Norway and is a resident alien since she was 2 years old. While submitting here application she was asked to provide 90 days worth of utility bills. I found this strange and wanted to know if anyone has ever heard of this before or is it just another add on by the sheriffs department to lengthen the process. I had to drive her home and dig up some bills and it was just a pain in the rear to make a second trip.
    From the "instructions" (PDF file) on the sheriff's website for "Concealed Weapons Permits":
    (Another sheriff who does not know that PA issues a License To Carry Firearms, not a Concealed Weapons Permit)

F. Question #38, if you are not a U.S. Citizen, you must provide your Alien Identification card. You MUST be a resident of Pennsylvania for 90 days prior to application. This date will be determined by your Pennsylvania Driver’s License. In addition to all other necessary paperwork, Pennsylvania law now requires that you provide substantiating documentation that you have continuously resided in Pennsylvania for those 90 days.

Examples of qualifying documentation are: utility bills, lease agreements, credit card statements and/or pay stubs from the applicant’s place of employment if such
    documents include your current residential address. Please provide a minimum of 90 days worth of said documentation.

Looks like they're considering her a resident alien?

Here also is a very questionable/illegal part of those instructions:

b.) If you are currently on disability, you will need to provide written documentation from your doctor or the Social Security Office as to the specific nature of your disability as well as any medications, if any, you may be taking.

That is none of their business and probably against the HIPPA act about medical records privacy.

(Monroe County)

Thanks, I thought it was just anothe layer of BS to jump through. Good thing my wife has some bills in her name.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisH82 View Post
    Thanks, I thought it was just anothe layer of BS to jump through. Good thing my wife has some bills in her name.
    You're welcome.

The relevant portion of the PA Uniform Firearms Act regarding aliens, is below:

(e) Issuance of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the
    purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's
    person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an
    investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the
    applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause
    exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to
    any of the following: ...

(x) An alien who is illegally in the United States.

So, I would assume he has the legal right to determine her status. IANAL or immigration expert...just sayin' what I think.