Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Basic Firearms Tactics for Homeowners

A good many organizations instruct in military and SWAT "tactics" for dentists, computer programmers and green-grocers. The F.I.R.E. Institute tactics course covers the tactical considerations and problems likely to be encountered by us.

This program is to forthrightly expose people to problems which they will inevitably encounter if they are put in a position of deciding whether to use firearms to defend themselves or a family member in the course of an emergency, and give them some proven solutions. It’s not about shooting (although the course involves a good deal of shooting); it’s about thinking.

It is also about involving family members who will most likely be present, and who can either make things better or make things worse. Many of us live with individuals who, for one reason or another, do not train or even know how to use a firearm. I can assure you that individual will not disappear and become irrelevant if an emergency arises.

Please take a look at the course description below:
    --------------------------
    PERSONAL FIREARMS TACTICS
    FOR HOME AND WORKPLACE

Next Course Date: July 18-19, 2009
    AT THE PITCAIRN-MONROEVILLE SPORTSMAN’S CLUB - (25 Min. S.E. of Pittsburgh)

There is unquestionably more to defending one's self, home and family with a firearm than marksmanship and equipment. A competent response involves dealing other people (including family members, bystanders and police), architectural barriers, moving, and recognition of threats which may not be apparent. There will almost certainly be decisions which must be made immediately involving problems like multiple aggressors, the need to protect a child, officious intermeddlers, deciding how much force is warranted, when to intervene in another person’s problem and when to walk away, and how to be helpful without making things worse. It must also take into account there will be legal proceedings following just about any shooting.

If you are the sort who is confident he will “just shoot him,” read no further – this course is not for you.

For others, the F.I.R.E. Institute is sponsoring a course on basic tactical considerations and problem solving for “ordinary Earth people.” The course emphasizes recognition and solutions to commonly encountered tactical problems, and decision making in preparation for, and during, sudden violent confrontations.

This course is for those who have previous, formal training in marksmanship and gun handling, and are now ready to learn the skills and methods necessary to put marksmanship and gun handling skills into context. We assume students in this course have been well-grounded in gun-handling and marksmanship skills. This is not a course on how to shoot. It is a "nuts-and-bolts" course about problem solving and decision making. The central assumption in the course is that trouble has found you in your home, car or workplace, and you must now proceed to solve a life-threatening problem.

Covered topics include:

• Basic tactical principles which should guide your decision-making in a dynamic scenario. There will be specific exercises designed to allow students to work with each principle.
    • Preparation of others who will likely be around. Spouse, children, siblings and co-workers can either help or make things worse. We discuss how to prepare them to at least not be in the way.
    • Working with a partner. If one has a partner who is likely to be present during an emergency, how to operate effectively in conjunction with that individual or, at least, avoid complicating the situation. This includes advance planning, communication, movement, covering and assisting
    • Dealing with architectural and natural barriers and obstacles without exposing yourself to unnecessary danger (doors, windows, hallways, corners).
    • How to recognize and effectively employ cover and concealment during an armed altercation.
    • Discussion tailoring your weapon selection to your home, work and street environments.
    • Shooting in proximity to other people. When shots are fired, confusion erupts, liability follows.
    • Dealing with the police. What they need to know, what you need to do.
    • Putting the shooting principles taught in firearms courses into practice. This course involves several simulation exercises and a good deal of shooting.

Course Format and Hours: The course runs two days, from 9:30 a.m. to about 5:30 p.m. each day. We begin with a discussion introducing applicable principles, followed by a series of short lectures and exercises designed to illustrate the concepts and techniques discussed. Most lectures occur on the range. There are discreet "units" on particular problems (e.g., dealing with doors), both "cold" and live-fire exercises, and several tactical simulations, short and long. Most exercises will be followed by discussion among instructors and students about the choices they made. Minimum instruction time will be 15 hours. There will be a certificate for those who complete the course.

“Non-Shooting” spouses: Many who rely upon firearms for protection have spouses who “hate guns” or do not understand the process, or otherwise refuse to be armed. In recognition of this aspect of reality, we allow non-shooting spouses to participate in this course with a shooting spouse. Non-shooting spouses will participate in all exercises (except square-range shooting exercises), and must have the same safety equipment as course participants who will be handling weapons. All students have the opportunity to (but are not required to) bring their significant other the after-noon of the second day to observe outdoor exercises pertaining to coordination of effort between family members.

Weapon Requirements: Students may use whatever firearm they expect to have available at home or in the workplace. Each participant must have the requisite level of formal instruction with each weapon they intend to deploy in class. It is recommended students bring whatever holster and spare magazine(s) they use for concealed carry. Ammunition requirements are 600 rounds of hand-gun ammunition, or 500 rounds of carbine, rifle or shotgun ammunition and 100 rounds of hand gun ammunition. No armor piercing, incendiary or tracer ammunition is permitted. NOTE: THOSE WHO TAKE THE COURSE WITH A CARBINE OR SHOTGUN WILL STILL BE CALLED UPON TO CARRY OUT EXERCISES THAT INVOLVE CONCEALED CARRY. BRING YOUR HAND GUN.

Instructor: The RM will be Peter Georgiades, an experienced firearms instructor and attorney who instructs in law, firearms and personal defense. In recent years, he has emphasized contact-distance defense in all of his courses. Mr. Georgiades is certified to instruct by the NRA (rifle, pistol, shotgun and personal protection), the State of Arizona (CCW Instructor - Certificate No. 8769268), and is a member of the International Ass'n. of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors (IALEFI). He is graduate of the Gunsite Academy Law Enforcement Carbine Instructor Certification Course, Marksman's Enterprise 3 day instructor courses for both carbine and pistol, the "Contact Weapons Defense Instructor" course from OSG (Steve Tarani), and several instructor seminars by Giles Stock. He has personally trained with some of the foremost firearms and personal defense instructors in the U.S. An active judo practitioner and competitor, he currently holds the rank of Nidan (2nd Degree Black Belt), USJI verified.

Class Size: This course will be limited to eight students. A small class allows more time for each student to work in each of the exercises and simulations, and to fully participate in discussions.

Prerequisites: This course assumes students have been previously instructed, and have kept current. In order to enroll in this course, one must have completed: (1) at least one hand-gun course of a minimum three days duration (21 hours of instruction) from a recognized firearms school or instructor; (2) if the student intends to use a rifle or shotgun in the course, he or she must also have at least one course in that discipline, of at least three days duration (21 hours of instruction). Courses which qualify include, but are not limited to, courses from Fire Institute, Gunsite Training Center or Academy, Marksman's Enterprise, Cumberland Tactics, Peregrine Enterprises, Ken Hackathorne, Larry Mudgett, etc. Because there are far too many qualified schools and instructors to list here, please indicate your prior training experience on the enrollment form. We will contact you if there are any questions. If you have any questions, please contact us for assistance. Please note that NRA basic courses, LFI-I and military basic training do not fulfill this requirement.

Cost: $255. (There is a $25 discount for members of any host club.) This includes instruction, range fees and course materials. It does not include any personal gear, ammunition or meals. There is fast food available near the range.

Equipment Requirements: Ear protection; eye protection; baseball-style cap with bill; carry-holster with spare magazine pouch and at least one magazine (a speed-loader with carrying pouch for revolvers); flashlight that you would keep in your bedroom, car or office, and a “dummy” training gun (“red gun” or “blue gun”) to match whatever weapon you will deploy in the course. As with any outdoor firearms course, wear substantial shoes, bring rain gear and something (non-alcoholic) to drink. An easy-to-use camera is a good idea, as there will be opportunities for other students to photograph you in various exercises.

Physical Requirements: This course is designed to assist YOU to make decisions. Your physical condition is one of the factors you must take into account. Therefore, we will work with you in whatever condition you are in. You should, however, notify the Instructor of any particular disabilities you may have, and we expect you to refrain from attempting any exercise that is beyond your physical capability or presents a risk of injury to you or others.

Enrollment Information: Enrollment instructions and forms and driving directions appear on the web site: www.fireinstitute.org . Payment in full is required upon enrollment. If it turns out there are not at least six students enrolled 20 days before the course date, the course will be cancelled and all tuition paid promptly refunded.

“Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like buying a piano and thinking you are a musician”
    -- Jeff Cooper

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Basic Firearms Tactics for Homeowners

I am enrolled for the 3-day tactical pistol class is May.
    I think this would be a great follow up for the practical use of what I hope to learn in that class.

so, three questions:

I assume after I have completed the 3-day I will have the requirements for this class. Is it kosher to enroll before I have have completed the May class?

What would you suggest as far as waiting until after the May class to enroll?

I have a wife that does shoot. How much can she participate?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    I am enrolled for the 3-day tactical pistol class is May.
    I think this would be a great follow up for the practical use of what I hope to learn in that class.

so, three questions:

I assume after I have completed the 3-day I will have the requirements for this class. Is it kosher to enroll before I have have completed the May class?

What would you suggest as far as waiting until after the May class to enroll?

I have a wife that does shoot. How much can she participate?

If you are enrolled in Basic Tactical Pistol, you can go ahead an enroll in Tactics I, along with your spouse. In the unlikely event something goes awry and you don't complete Basic Tactical Pistol, we will give you your tuition back for Tactics I. The sooner you enroll the better, because that gives us an idea of how many we are going to have.

Spouses who do not meet the training prerequisites may not handle firearms during the course. It is a safety issue, and we will not compromise on any safety issue.

Spouses may participate in all the lectures and watch all the demonstrations, participate fully in any exercise carried out with the "dummy" (inert) training guns, and participate without a live weapon in certain exercises where the "shooting" spouse has to deal with problems while interacting with the "non-shooting" spouse. In short, they can do anything except handle a live firearm.

Ideally, one's spouse should be sufficiently trained to make a positive contribution in the event of an emergency, and would therefore be sufficiently trained to safely participate in dynamic exercises. But we realize there are some who do not see the value in being trained to competently deploy a firearm, and so we have opened this up so they can at least learn what they can do without a gun. Hopefully, in the process they will see the purpose and benefit of training, and understand how much more they might contribute to the protection of their family.

Given that your wife does shoot, my suggestion is that you both take Giles' course. That way you can both participate with live firearms in Tactics I. If she does not take Giles' course, I predict she will wish she had once she is put in scenarios and she realizes she could be more helpful to you than simply staying out of the way and going for help.

The personal dynamics of spouses and firearms can be very weird.

Some husbands (and I am not implying this is you) insist upon "showing the little lady how to shoot." This attitude usually results in wife getting a cheap, short-barreled revolver or DA auto in an inadequate caliber with impossibly difficult sights, on the invariably incorrect assumption that is "all she can handle." This allows husband to arrogate himself to the dominant, controlling, macho he-man role; but what does it to do the spouse's confidence, competence or interest?

Unfortunately, Ms. wife will find it difficult to shoot well with a gun that is difficult to shoot well, is made very nervous by Husband's demands and condescension, and loses interest. Under those circumstances, I would lose interest, too. (Here ... you take the cheap, POS snubby and I'll use your $3,000 1911.) Or, worse, she gets to the point where she can hit a piece of paper 10 out of 10 with her .22 lr., and thinks she safe.

I have seen some husbands become very threatened, to the point of visible agitation, when their wife gets professional instruction. It gets worse when she then operates hubby's pistol better than hubby.

All of which is nuts. One should be able to put his ego aside long enough to see things from the wife's point of view. If YOU deserve to be able to protect yourself, why shouldn’t SHE? If YOU deserve a decent firearm, why shouldn't SHE? If YOU wouldn't carry and use it, why should SHE?

Here’s a clue: 110 lb. women, with the hands to match, can and do shoot pistols in .45 acp well. They do it all the time. And they are not too stupid to operate them. Once they can concentrate on their shooting (because hubby has been sent down to the other end of the line where he can work on that hideous trigger-jerk he has), they do every bit as well as men with comparable levels of training. Sorry, men, you are not indispensable to the process.

Where you are indispensable is as 50% of the team.

The truth is, one's spouse is likely the only immediately available source of assistance in an emergency. Given that fact, it makes sense for one to take all practical measures to make sure one's spouse is as effective an ally as possible. This contemplates comparable training, comparable quality of arm, equal practice time, assumption of training roles which does not presume either spouse will be in a dominant role (it might as likely be YOU who is injured and SHE who is standing off the trouble waiting for help), and getting things worked out together so both individuals will contribute fully to the process.

I’m sure this more than answers your question.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
    I’m sure this more than answers your question.
    pretty much
    good tirade non the less

I am hoping she will attend a one day class this summer. Since she is a "non-shooting" spouse at this point I will register myself, and she can participate in the limited fashion you describe.

my info is already on file with you.
    will you need a copy of her LTCF or anything?

(Allegheny County)

pretty much
    good tirade non the less

I am hoping she will attend a one day class this summer. Since she is a "non-shooting" spouse at this point I will register myself, and she can participate in the limited fashion you describe.

my info is already on file with you.
    will you need a copy of her LTCF or anything?
    Yes. Just have her fill out an application, which can be downloaded from the web site. I think she will have a good time, and you will both be better prepared in the future.

Peter

(Allegheny County)

mailed out my check today

(Allegheny County)

mailed out my check today

Pleased to have you. It looks like the two of us will have a lot of fun.

Actually, it is still early. Enrollment cut-off on that one is in mid-june. Other than pre-organized groups, fully half of our enrollments come in the last week before the cut-off.

I was just reading an article by Brent Wheat, in which he states the most important thing he teaches his officers is how to make the decision to go in or hang back.

That is a difficult kind of decision to make, and the consequences can be profound. I wonder how many people actually think about what it is they will base that decision upon, should the situation ever arise.

An EMT who comes upon an accident with injured people has a number of important decisions to make immediately. He or she has been taught the criteria to apply, and has practice applying them. So he or she goes to work and does not waste time dithering and trying to figure it out.

I am both amused and disgusted that people who understand they might someday be in a life-and-death situation fancy that they will just know what do to. Even the less complicated scenarios in a tactics course prove beyond rational debate that such is not the case.

What good is being a super-fast very accurate shooter if one does not have the tools to make good decisions about whether to shoot?

If decision-making is first-priority for the likes of Brent Wheat, I submit it should be at least a high priority for anyone who believes they may have to fight with a gun.

(Allegheny County)

i'm going to be taking this class, too.

i just have to wait a bit to send in the check since the IRS just stole all my money.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i'm going to be taking this class, too.

i just have to wait a bit to send in the check since the IRS just stole all my money.
    Consider that when you talk about property rights. A law can be passed that says you have to hand over a third of your property every year. And another law says you have to rent your house and land annually from the local taxing authority.

And you guys go on about your property rights. HA!

Meantime, we will be glad to see you in the course. (I have yet to see a tax on knowledge.)

A number of people have called this the best course we have. Lots of shooting, lots of thinking, lots of interaction with other people in the course.

It is also the second-hardest to fill. (The hardest ones are the ones that involve hands-on contact of any kind.)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
    And you guys go on about your property rights. HA!
    of course...i mean, if the government wasn't constantly trampling on my property rights, i'd have nothing to go on about--now would i?

anyway, i'm really looking forward to this course.

(The hardest ones are the ones that involve hands-on contact of any kind.)
    i wanted to take the steve tarani class, too. but i'm short on cash, and i want to also take the close quarters handgun class later this summer, and i just could not swing 3 classes this summer and basically decided on the CQH class instead of steve's class. maybe next year if he comes back.
    F*S=k

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast