Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Need help ID'ing this rifle

A guy I know from a mustang site has this rifle. It was his grandfathers and he wants to know what it is etc. Here is what he posted on the other site:

I have this .22 rifle that's been in my family for many years. I'd like to know more about it, but the problem is that there's no manufacturer info on the gun anywhere. I've never seen another one like it, and everyone i show it to just says "what happened to the wood stock?" but that's just it....there never was any (that i can tell anyways). I've heard it referred to as a "squirrel gun" used for squirrel hunting, but i'd like to know an idea of who might have made it and what year, as well as value (if any). I don't have any plans on selling it, but it would be cool to know more about it.
    And now for the cool part....how you load it. The front "trigger" pulls back, releasing the barrel to flip around and you put the round directly into the barrel. This also cocks the hammer to fire it. You then spin it back around into position and it's ready to shoot. There is a button forward of where the shell goes into which discharges the empty casing.
    http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/a...5&d=1177203857

http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/a...2&d=1177203910

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Need help ID'ing this rifle

Clicked the links, but they aren't any help, got this message:

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page.

If they are pictures, maybe you can save and post them on a host site and give us a link to them.
    There are plenty of people here who might be able to help, but we need more to go on.

Sorry, I didn't know you had to be logged in to view that section. Here are the pics:

(Allegheny County)

hard to tell from the pics, but is that stock cast iron?

(Montgomery County)

holy cow, I havent seen one of thoise for ages.

if I remember right, its mostly diecast pot metal, and paintedmwith a wrinkle finish type paint.
    these were, if I rem,ember right, made in the 50s, and are horribly cheap.
    the metal cracks due to age, and makes the gun unsafe due to corrosion and cracking.

Unfortunately, I dont remember who made the ting either...I THINK its sompelace in Chicago, but I cant be sure.

my FFL had one, it was in mint shape, for like $40...its junk.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Junk (in your opinion) or not, it's a family heirloom to him. Why you would choose the word junk is beyond me. Thanks for the limited info you provided, I'll pass it along aside from the junk comment.....

(Allegheny County)

try not to take offense to the word junk, but if i owned or saw any modern gun that corroded and cracked with age, id probably call it junk also. in fact, junk is probably the nicest word i would use to describe a rifle less than 60 years old that was unserviceable due to poor manufacturing.

it is what it is.....junk as a rifle, certainly invaluable as an heirloom.

(Montgomery County)

I said junk because thats what it is, a cheaply made, terribly designed, crappy metal, poorly constructed, and shabbily built firearm, that was not made to last for a long time...it was made to break and be thrown away

I have many things that I have gotte from grandparfents and such, and consider a family heirloom, and if its junk, I still refer to it as junk, because thats all it really is.

emotional attachment doesn't change the facts of what the thing is, just how you feel about it....err, how HE feels about it.

so, you are yelling at me because YOU are irritated over how HE would feel if HE found out *I* said it was junk?

*rolls eyes*
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Delaware County)

Looks like the rifle my neighbor had, called a Brer (sp?) Rabbit. It was a .410/.22LR rifle, and I couldn't tell you who made it, but a google search for "Brer Rabbit rifle" or "braer rabbit rifle" might turn up something.

(Allegheny County)

Best bet for IDing the gun would be to send those pictures into a few gun magazines like American Rifleman I know has a section every now and then and see if one of those guys can ID it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast