Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Question Carbon County LTCF

Hello All,

Love the board!

I currently have a Luzerne County LTCF. I will will be moving to Carbon County in May.

Can I wait for my Luzerne county LTCF to expire in 2012 and then renew in Carbon County or do I need to transfer my LTCF to Carbon County when I move into my new home?

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Carbon County LTCF

Your LTCF is good until it expires in 2012.

There are no provisions whatsoever for either transferring its issuance from one county to another or effecting an address change (which isn't required anyway, but don't forget to get your driver's license changed withing fifteen days). Of course, you might want to let the issuing sheriff what your new address is so that you might receive a renewal reminder, but it's not required.

To quote GunLawyer001 from a previous thread:

There's no legal requirement to notify the Sheriff that you've moved, but it really is to your benefit to tell him.

Your LTCF is only as good as the Sheriff says it is, and if he revokes it then you not only don't have a License, you're presumed to be ineligible to have a License, which bumps the usual Misdemeanor 1 offense up to a Felony under the statute. So if he revokes it, all he has to do is mail a certified letter to your last known address. If you don't live there, you won't get that letter, so you'll continue carrying a firearm but now you're committing a felony.

Licenses get revoked for all sorts of reasons, so you may not have any clue that you've done something, or been accused of doing something, that might merit revocation.

Most Sheriffs will also send you a courtesy letter before your License expires, but that only makes it to your last known address, too.

So, definitely send your own certified letter to the Sheriff that issued your LTCF, giving him your new address.

(Luzerne County)

Statkowski, Hiredgoon,

You are the best! Thanks for the quick replys. As soon as I close on the home letter going out certified mail.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    To quote GunLawyer001 from a previous thread:
    There's no legal requirement to notify the Sheriff that you've moved, but it really is to your benefit to tell him.

Your LTCF is only as good as the Sheriff says it is, and if he revokes it then you not only don't have a License, you're presumed to be ineligible to have a License, which bumps the usual Misdemeanor 1 offense up to a Felony under the statute. So if he revokes it, all he has to do is mail a certified letter to your last known address. If you don't live there, you won't get that letter, so you'll continue carrying a firearm but now you're committing a felony.

Licenses get revoked for all sorts of reasons, so you may not have any clue that you've done something, or been accused of doing something, that might merit revocation.

Most Sheriffs will also send you a courtesy letter before your License expires, but that only makes it to your last known address, too.

So, definitely send your own certified letter to the Sheriff that issued your LTCF, giving him your new address.
    This raises an interesting question:

If you actually move quite frequently, would it be possible to have multiple LTCFs issued by different counties (IOW, not prohibited to do that)? And, would there be any benefit?

Does one revocation (from County A) affect the status of a license issued by another County?

... Stay Safe ...
    ID

Quote Originally Posted by ImminentDanger View Post

If you actually move quite frequently, would it be possible to have multiple LTCFs issued by different counties (IOW, not prohibited to do that)? And, would there be any benefit?

Does one revocation (from County A) affect the status of a license issued by another County?

... Stay Safe ...
    ID
    Well, it's issued by the county sheriff (or city police chief in Philly), but it's a statewide license. And a copy does go to PA State Police. So when one is revoked, the PSP is probably notified by the revoking sheriff.

However, if a person also has a permit/license from another state that has reciprocity with PA (Florida or Utah for example), he could probably legally carry in PA on that until the revoked PA LTCF is restored (the thinking here being that the LTCF was unjustly revoked, as has happened in the past).

IANAL
    Last edited by HiredGoon; March 16th, 2009 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Clarification

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ImminentDanger View Post

... Stay Safe ...
    ID
    I believe the answer to your question is no. I don't believe you could have more than one Pa. License at a time, although I don't see any law reference. As has been said already, they are issued by the sheriff of the county you reside in, but they are an official state wide license. You could renew(reapply)early in the new county, but why would you? It is good until it expires or is revoked, so other than informing the issueing authority of your new address for the reasons GL posted, why would you burn the remaining paid for time?

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry