Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Smile .40 S&W sigma vs. 9mm ruger p89 for CCW

I presently own the .40S&W sigma and the Ruger P89 in 9mm. I wanted folks thoughts on ...

which one they would prefer for CCW...
    and a nice holster for IWB and OWB...

I recently got my license to carry... and i'm just a bit nervous about making the leap into the CC world..lol.

What will friends think ?? Will it make others uncomfortable if they found out i had a weapon on me ?? Even my wife's a bit nervous about it ... she thinks we'll be getting investigated any time now ...lol... because i've been sooo into getting as much info. about this subject as i can .. to try and make myself as comfortable as i can .... for when i do start to carry.

Any stories of what you guys went thru when you began carrying would also be great... Thanks for all the knowledge and insight.

Have a great day !!
    Your Greatest Adversary... Hides In Your Mirror

(Northampton County)

Default Re: .40 S&W sigma vs. 9mm ruger p89 for CCW

Both.

Ok, fine, whichever you can shoot better. Concealing is moreso about how you conceal than what you conceal. I can conceal a G22 if I try.

OWB, you can't beat the Blackhawk Serpa if they make it for your gun. IWB... I'm still looking.

As for reactions... just don't do anything stupid and I doubt you'll have any issues. It's not like you need to tell people you're carrying... not even cops. People who are truly your friends won't have a problem with your carrying, even if they're anti-gun.

*Before I continue, I'll put it out there that I don't put a lot of effort into concealing. I carry my primary gun in the most comfortable and accessible way possible, which for me is in a Blackhawk Serpa. So I'll have one, maybe two shirts on top of it, and I don't really care if people see my carrying. Unless I'm carrying somewhere where it's legal to do so, but discouraged (college campus, bar, etc).*

A very good friend of mine is generally anti-gun, and she's definitely seen my gun peek out a few times (the big eyes and brief pause in speech gave it away), but hasn't said anything about it.

A local storeowner with whom I'm friends saw my spare mag hanging out of my shirt pocket once, and asked me why I'm carrying it. Of course I replied, "Well it's a spare magazine for one of my handguns." A New Yorker, he was a bit shocked at first, and asked a lot of questions, including why I felt like I needed to carry a gun. I told him that I didn't think I needed it, but would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. He accepted that, and we continued into a conversation about the spread of crime into the nicer areas of town, and how crime is most likely going to greatly increase with the upcoming economic crash. It hasn't come up anymore since then, but once summer rolls around I'm going to try to get him to the range.

I've had many conversations with gun neutral folks, and if they're friendly to you in general, while they may be surprised to discover that you carry, they'll tend to accept that fact.

Of course, you could make it easier on everyone and just openly carry, so that you can get those awkward conversations out of the way in the first week or so, and possibly gain some range buddies . I was unfortunate enough to turn 21 at the beginning of October, and not get my LTCF until the beginning of November, which isn't exactly prime OC season.

But anyhow, I guess my point is that your gun carrying, if it becomes an issue at all with people you know, will merely make it easier to classify with whom you should and shouldn't bother spending your time. True friends will continue to be friends regardless of political views, and douchebags will flag themselves for your ease in eliminating from your circle of friends.

ETA: Check out http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html for where you can and cannot legally carry in Pennsylvania. The list of places where you cannot carry is relatively short (I only concern myself with courthouses, K-12 schools, and Federal property...), as this Commonwealth generally likes its peaceable citizens to carry guns.

ETA(again): And since I'm in a giving mood, rep for a newbie!
    Last edited by imperialism2024; March 15th, 2009 at 02:31 PM.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lancaster County)

Congrats on your LTCF and welcome to the world of concealed carry!

Both of your guns are similar in size, and either will work. The sigma is lighter and thinner which will make it easier to carry. The most important aspect is to carry the gun that is the most reliable. If both are reliable, then I would probably carry the Sigma. You probably begin searching for a smaller gun not long after you begin carrying. At least, that is what most do.

My first auto for concealed carry was a Ruger p85. I remember the first time I carried. I was paranoid as can be. I went into the old Dunkin Donuts in Bensalem on Street Rd. was right in front of K-Mart. It was a Saturday morning and I wanted a cup of coffee and a bagel. I wasn't standing in line more that a minute when a Bensalem cop walked in and stood behind me. I thought someone must have noticed the bulge on my side and had called the cops. Ended up he never said a word to me, I got what I needed and went about my business.

The moral of the story is, it is perfectly legal so don't worry about it!

(Bucks County)

WOOOOO HOOOOO... My first REP.
    Thanks Imperial.
    Looking forward to getting comfortable carrying.
    Your Greatest Adversary... Hides In Your Mirror

(Monroe County)

Serpa's are fantastic for OC'ing.
    Theyre rather crappy for most people to CC with during warm weather unless you have a cover garment. However it works fine for me.

I mean the Serpa lvl 2 seems to be the top holster in the OC community. It's there for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

i would say carry the one you shoot & feel the most comfortable with!
    "343" Never Forgotten

(Lancaster County)

Ok as one of the BIG supporters of the Sigmas on here I say which ever you feel comfortable with. I carry my Sigma sw40v quite often. Lately though ive been carring a wheel gun as it gets warmer. My Sigma conceal just fine as long as you have a quality holster that holds it tight to your body or I tend to tuck mine in the small of my back using a Desantis nemisis holster every now and then.
    Bottom line is which ever one you feel the most comfortable and capable of using.
    No longer posting

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by 96D View Post
    i would say carry the one you shoot & feel the most comfortable with!
    This is your answer.

I don't like sigmas and I don't like DA/SA triggers. So, whichever one YOU like the best.

(Somerset County)

I carry a Ruger p 95 in a Galco cop 3 holster . Works well for me.
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Mercer County)

Don't be nervous about CCing. No one will even notice.

If they do, that's your business how you explain it. Carrying a gun is a personal choice. Because you want to protect yourself, because you want to protect your family, because you want to exercise your 2A rights, because you think it's cool...

Welcome aboard, man...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast