Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Open Carry Incident at Target World

Freakin awesome. Personally, I was worried about being hassled by every blue shirt and badge out there when I started OCing, but frankly, I haven't even been questioned by a LEO once. A lot of people said it's all in the way you carry yourself (ie, not looking nervous, jumpy, uncharacteristic of a safe and law abiding citizen, etc) and I think that's true. I was questioned by civvies a lot more when I first started OCing than I do now. As your story clearly indicates though, there will be times when you run into people that just don't get it or just don't want to see it. Sucks but hey, all you can do is say your piece, and cover up or leave.

That being said, I would have amended this whole section:

Quote Originally Posted by jkroner659 View Post
    I told him "Your wrong, but I will conceal it anyway"
    to a friendlier, more informed:

"If you want me to cover up I will, because I have a license to carry. If I didn't I would have to leave, and you might have lost sales"

Or something along those lines. To the high school students that usually work in the front end of stores, this might not mean much, but to the store owner or manager, hearing the words "have to leave, might have lost sales" might be the trick to get them into a more receptive state of mind. I recited a modified version of this (changing "and you might have lost sales" to "it might be illegal for some to cover up") to a waitress at Viewmont Diner in Dickson City/Scranton and I haven't been asked to cover up again. Sometimes just saying "it isn't illegal" won't do much, unless you caveat it.

Just my two cents.
    "Twice today have I been told that my outfit does not match my gun..."

(Bucks County)

I had a VERY similar experience at Target World. I shot at the range downstairs, and then headed upstairs to look at the firearms for sale. I had my pistol holstered on my side openly visable. I got told very similar statements from not one but two employees. They said open carry is illegal! I asked if it was ok in the store, and they said yes- but if I walk out of the store, I will be breaking the law. I tried to tell them what the law really is, but they simply had an attitude like I was completley wrong, and I am an ass for even suggesting open carry is legal. I also had the guy at the gun range butt into my conversation with a friend to tell me there is no such thing as a 40 round clip for a AR-15. I brought one in the next week to show him, but he wasn't working....damn...I actually made him a bet with on it too!
    -Mark

(York County)

I believe that it has been mentioned in several responses, that the right
    of one's right of self defense, such as open carry, does not constitute
    a violation of Section 5503, Disorderly Conduct. It is a bogus charge and
    any "good" attorney can nulify. It is just a dam shame that people believe
    what other people say, especially when they are in the bussiness of selling
    firearms to the public and have a range. As far as the attorney confirming
    the employees knowledge of "open carry", being just as misinformed, makes
    you wonder what his speciality is.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by pacmanfan1977 View Post
    I had a VERY similar experience at Target World. I shot at the range downstairs, and then headed upstairs to look at the firearms for sale. I had my pistol holstered on my side openly visable. I got told very similar statements from not one but two employees. They said open carry is illegal! I asked if it was ok in the store, and they said yes- but if I walk out of the store, I will be breaking the law. I tried to tell them what the law really is, but they simply had an attitude like I was completley wrong, and I am an ass for even suggesting open carry is legal. I also had the guy at the gun range butt into my conversation with a friend to tell me there is no such thing as a 40 round clip for a AR-15. I brought one in the next week to show him, but he wasn't working....damn...I actually made him a bet with on it too!
    -Mark
    I have never seen anything but a 10 round clip for an AR. 40 round MAGAZINES I have seen, but I don't think they're really reliable enough to bother with. :P
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

Not that I would ever find myself at Target World, I will advise anyone who would be concidering going there, to seek another shop that does not give out false information. That's just how I roll.........

Don't worry, I have no plans to e-mail or write any letters. I'm just too lazy to do that.

(Berks County)

Chalk this thread up to one more reason why Target World sucks ass and I would never buy from them.

(Bucks County)

[QUOTE=mikey;653578]Not that I would ever find myself at Target World, I will advise anyone who would be concidering going there, to seek another shop that does not give out false information. That's just how I roll.........

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    Chalk this thread up to one more reason why Target World sucks ass and I would never buy from them.
    I agree with finding another shop for buying, but the range is too convenient for me at least, to boycott. I would be very surprised if the management is not aware of the PA laws pertaining to OC. That said, their employees should understand what the law is if they are attempting to apply it to their customers.

I've never had a problem there, but I have not OC'd. There is usually at least 1 guy at the range counter OC'ing.
    Politicians who fear the people seek to disarm them.

People who fear their government's intentions refuse to be disarmed.

(Bucks County)

Ugh - worst ever.

Sounds like everyone should walk around upstairs at targetworld this week and not purchase anything but open carry the whole time...

You guy close to the river really have it bad.............

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Not that I would ever find myself at Target World, I will advise anyone who would be concidering going there, to seek another shop that does not give out false information. That's just how I roll.........

Don't worry, I have no plans to e-mail or write any letters. I'm just too lazy to do that.
    C'mmon Mikey... I was gonna drag you down there tomorrow to buy some 9mm

Stopped at WallyWorld again today - nothing on the shelves. Ill call you when I find it.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast