Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Rare Superman Comic Sells For $317,200

Anyone's mom throw this away when you were a kid???

Rare Superman Comic Sells For $317,200
    Previous Owner Paid 35 Cents

NEW YORK (AP) ― A rare copy of the first comic book featuring Superman has sold for $317,200 in an Internet auction. The previous owner had bought it for less than a buck.

It's one of the highest prices ever paid for a comic book, a likely testament to the volume's rarity and its excellent condition, said Stephen Fishler, co-owner of the auction site ComicConnect.com and its sister dealership, Metropolis Collectibles.

The winning bid for the 1938 edition of Action Comics No. 1, which features Superman lifting a car on its cover, was submitted Friday evening by John Dolmayan, drummer for the rock band System of a Down, according to managers at ComicConnect.com.

Dolmayan, who is also a dealer of rare comic books, said he acquired the Superman comic on behalf of a client he declined to identify.

"This is one of the premier books you could collect," he said in a telephone interview. "It's considered the Holy Grail of comic books. I talked to my client, and we made the move."

Dolmayan said the client has "a small collection, but everything he has is incredible."

Only about 100 copies of Action Comics No. 1 are known to exist and they seldom come up for sale.

"Maybe in a booming economy, it would have done a hundred grand more, but in this economy, I think the price is great," Fishler said.

The man who had previously owned the book purchased it in a secondhand store in the early 1950s when he was nine years old.

He paid 35 cents.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Rare Superman Comic Sells For $317,200

For 2hrs, at least, no one cares. I find this interesting though. I had a friend at Carnegie Mellon who was a creative writer in CFA. His dream was to work for DC Comics or the like. He now, I think, sells insurance or real estate in NY somewhere (if he has a job).

(Delaware County)

My mom didn't touch my comics, threw out all my toys, only have my GI JOEs left.

I have a few different Spider-man comics at my moms house that are worth a pretty good amount but I don't think I would sell them, well maybe some day but not now.

(Luzerne County)

I once collected comic books. They really take up a ton of room. They do appreciate in value, but it is also mostly a buyers market.

I eventually got rid of them to make room for more important stuff. Like a gun safe.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.