Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target Rifle

(Bucks County)

Default Target Rifle

I am looking for a good rifle for target shooting that wont break my bank. I am considering a remmington 22 rifle but woud like it to be able to shott 22lr ammo. (mostly b/c the ammo is so insanely cheap) It will be used for fun and target shooting. Any suggestions? also the ability to have a bipod would be really cool
    -Dave

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Target Rifle

Read this article. It may help you decide. Good luck!

http://www.chuckhawks.com/first_rifle.htm

(Bucks County)

wow thank you for that link it was extremely informative! im defintely looking towards teh middle end of the rifles in that 400-1000 range b/c most of what i do is what they consider plinking (although i take it quite seriously!!) Does anyone have any specific experience or wisdom about any rifles in this range?

Ruger 10/22 will take you from beer cans and with a little work to 100yd. bird matches. Being able to add tricky toys as the monet is available is a major plus. We bought a basic used carbine and over several months added anew trigger group, Clark barrel and a target stock. Have one to hunt with, basic with trigger job, Houge overmold stock and Green Mountain feather weight barrel. Either one will shoot along with my Win. 52 if given the good ammo.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bmxer0122 View Post
    wow thank you for that link it was extremely informative!
    Then click on the scales in the upper right hand part of her post, and give her some positive rep!

If you are looking in that range, let me recommend the CZ 452 and CZ 453 rifles. They represent one of the best values you can get. For about $400 you get a rifle that can onlt be beat by rifles costing 2-3x as much.

By the time you shoot enough ammo for the rifle to be the limiting factor (as opposed to you, or the ammo), you'll consider that rifle to be an "oldie but goodie"

Also, don't think you are going to get match performance from $13.50 boxes of bulk ammo from Wal-Mart. But it makes for a GREAT starting point.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    Also, don't think you are going to get match performance from $13.50 boxes of bulk ammo from Wal-Mart. But it makes for a GREAT starting point.
    MTechnik is right about the ammo. Accuracy is dependent on the ammo you use.

(Northampton County)

I'd have to recommend the Savage MkII. Mine has a laminated stock, a full bull barrel and 10 round magazine. It's a lot more accurate than I am and I still managed to post a decent group at 50yds with a bit of wind. Last I checked they were still pretty cheap, under $1k easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    I'd have to recommend the Savage MkII. Mine has a laminated stock, a full bull barrel and 10 round magazine. It's a lot more accurate than I am and I still managed to post a decent group at 50yds with a bit of wind. Last I checked they were still pretty cheap, under $1k easy.
    I've seen some outstanding groups shot with MkIIs and they are pretty affordable. You might want to check them out.

I went with a Remington 504T with a 22lr match chamber. With wolf match ammo I can shoot 0.25-0.4" groups at 50, and 1" groups at 100 yards. I've fired it to 200 yards as well but not on paper so I'm not sure how well it grouped. I chose this rifle because it replicated the weight and feel of my 308 match gun and I use it as a "trainer".

Bipods like the harris just attached to the sling swivel stud. Get a decent scope and mounts and you should be good to go.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    If you are looking in that range, let me recommend the CZ 452 and CZ 453 rifles. They represent one of the best values you can get. For about $400 you get a rifle that can onlt be beat by rifles costing 2-3x as much.
    Nothing touches a CZ out of the box under $1000.

Lycannoteasilyimpressedthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by arrrrgh15 View Post
    I've seen some outstanding groups shot with MkIIs and they are pretty affordable. You might want to check them out.

I went with a Remington 504T with a 22lr match chamber. With wolf match ammo I can shoot 0.25-0.4" groups at 50, and 1" groups at 100 yards. I've fired it to 200 yards as well but not on paper so I'm not sure how well it grouped. I chose this rifle because it replicated the weight and feel of my 308 match gun and I use it as a "trainer".

Bipods like the harris just attached to the sling swivel stud. Get a decent scope and mounts and you should be good to go.
    My MkII has a bipod mounted to the sling swivel. Right now it has a fairly big (though not to accurate) scope on it. Everytime I pulled it out at the range people were wondering what kind of sniper rifle I had. They were all shocked to find out it was a .22lr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast