Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default The ammo shortage situation?

From Rich Grassi at The Tactical Wire: Where's the Ammo?

On Tuesday, we received a writer email asking about what he called "the current ammo shortage." He specifically asked about rumors that factories had cut back on production, mentioning Remington by name. Our reader went on to state that "competition for raw material should be down given the world economic slowdown, yet prices continue to rise and availability is shrinking."

We respond to our readers, even if some of the ground had been covered before - we get new subscribers regularly and he likely hadn't seen our previous entry on the "why is ammo scarce" issue.

Before this email arrived, I was having breakfast with firearms expert, trainer, armorer and philosopher Mike Rafferty. He is one who always has an eye out for ammo, particularly now.

"There's buzz on the internet forums that won't go away," he said. "The rumor is that ammo is scarce because of increased law enforcement training."

I snorted. Training in law enforcement? Who are they kidding?

"Well, NYPD is giving fifty rounds apiece of carbine training to an increasing number of cops - newly graduated recruits, I hear - who aren't in the ESU." ESU is the Emergency Services Unit, the precursor to SWAT, an outfit that has broader responsibilities than normal SWAT outfits.

Fifty rounds of carbine shooting isn't "training." That said, it's more trigger time than they would have had. If it hadn't been for Mumbai, they wouldn't have trained up more cops on the M4-style carbine. Still, when you have thousands of cops, 50 rounds a head starts to add up.

I asked Mike what he thought. "People are hoarding. When they find ammo anywhere, they snap it up before someone else gets it."

The increase in demand causes increases in price.

I sent a note around to the ammunition industry asking the question our reader asked.

Here are a few comments from Remington - specifically from John Chisnall, Director - Brand Management, Ammunition.

"Strong 2008 4th quarter hunting seasons and "putting food on the table" in these difficult economic times have driven some of the strong demand being experienced in hunting ammunition categories.

"Regarding supply, our factory is working overtime and doing the best they can to address the demand.

"With regards to pricing, costs have stabilized as commodity prices and energy prices have stabilized, and pricing has decreased in some categories despite strong shooter demand."

That's the official, on-the-record statement. We appreciate Mr. Chisnall taking time to address the issue.

Another ammunition industry insider stated that a company he's involved with is making more ammo now than they ever have. That company is experiencing some delays in getting certain supplies but runs hard to catch up.

Prices have gone up on "black rifles" and handguns meant for defensive work, but no one seems to hit the internet forums with that . . .

The ammo shortage situation? It's partially fed by reporting on shortages and self fulfilling prophecy, no doubt. If shooters hear that ammo is short on supply, they'll snag more than they need, hedging against future shortages.
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

(Chester County)

Default Re: The ammo shortage situation?

I think it's kinda like this past december's shortage on ar-15 lowers.

(Northampton County)

It might have something to do with "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Obama's taking all your guns and ammo! Quick, buy everything you can until you hit your credit card's limit, and then spend your next $35 to renew your membership with us for another year. Otherwise, OBAMA'S TAKING ALL YOUR GUNS! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!"

Or maybe that's entirely irrelevant.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Clearfield County)

I just posted this in response to a question on an NRA Instructor Group message board concerning the short supply of ammunition. As a result of my business, I have a view into the ammunition industry from a supplier's perspective. This is my not so humble opinion based upon what I am seeing.

"It's no secret that demand is currently exceeding supply, but the problem is that the ammunition manufacturers that my company deals with (we manufacture equipment used in ammunition production among other industries) are hesitant to make the capital investment to expand capacity. And no wonder, a line to manufacture the components and assembly of bullets, powder, casings and primers can run well into seven figures for a high volume production line.

Given the uncertainty going forward in the economy in general and their industry specifically, it is tough to justify the investment. The uncertainty just makes the risk unacceptable.

I don't think there is any grand conspiracy to run up ammunition prices, we're just seeing business people making prudent business decisions. And Lord knows, I would like to see them invest as we could use the business."
    "Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions." G.K. Chesterton