Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Concealed carry with Grandfathers handgun

Hopefully someone can help me with this, my Grandfather had a 9mm, he passed away and my Dad was in possession. My Dad recently passed away and now I am in possession of it. I plan on getting a LTCF permit and wanted to know what I needed to do as far as registering or transferring the gun in my name. I read on some post that I would have to do nothing at all, but I wanted to make sure in case I was questioned. Thanks

Default Re: Concealed carry with Grandfathers handgun

Grandfater to father or father to son.
    No FFL transfer is necessary in PA for a handgun.
    No FFL transfer is necessary in PA for a long gun between two private nonprohibited parties.
    I'm sure someone will confirm.

(Jefferson County)

As long as there are no inheritance or estate issues, you can carry it and own it outright. ...

Another thing to considered is transfers between spouses, parents/children and grandparents/grandchildren can take place WITHOUT any paperwork. For all we or the police know, or are concerned is your Grandpa(a fellow PA resident at the time?) gave you that gun when you turned 18.

(Chester County)

Both my father and grandfather were residents of PA, but when my father passed away he was living in NJ for the last 5 years of his life.

just a thought, if I were going to carry a handgun, it would be one for which I have no sentamental value. From what I understand, if you actually use the handgun in a self-defense, it is usually taken as evidence, and it can become very difficult to get back.

Also, I'm assuming that this gun predates the 4473 and FFL system, or at the very least wont show up in the PA police's database. While this is totally legal, I believe there have been members here who run into a hassle when they carried a gun that isnt in the PA handgun registry, or whatever they call it. Someone else can chime in about this matter.

Long story short, if you have the funds, I would keep grandfathers gun as a keepsake and range gun, and consider purchasing a dedicated carry gun that you have no attachment to so it won't be the end of the world if you lose it.

(Chester County)

The gun doesn't really have any sentimental value. It was hardly ever used, and I never new my father even had it until going through his belongings. How can I tell if the gun predates 4473 and FFL system, do I need to contact someone with the serial number? Or do I need to register the gun in the PA handgun registry and how do I do that if possible?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by matthewpsu17 View Post
    Hopefully someone can help me with this, my Grandfather had a 9mm, he passed away and my Dad was in possession. My Dad recently passed away and now I am in possession of it. I plan on getting a LTCF permit and wanted to know what I needed to do as far as registering or transferring the gun in my name. I read on some post that I would have to do nothing at all, but I wanted to make sure in case I was questioned. Thanks
    There is no registry in PA. You don't have to register any gun.

All handgun transfers typically need to be recorded in the state's "sales database", but there's an exemption in the law for transfers between parent/child and grandparent/grandchild. Such transfers don't need to be recorded. Your possession of the weapon through inheritance from your father is completely legal and does not need to be recorded in the sales database.

All you need to do to carry the gun concealed is apply for an LTCF.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Chester County)

Thanks for the help guys.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by matthewpsu17 View Post
    Both my father and grandfather were residents of PA, but when my father passed away he was living in NJ for the last 5 years of his life.
    If I am not mistaken, the father to son exemption would only apply to intrastate transactions.
    Transfer from a NJ resident's estate to a PA resident - may - require an FFL.
    Might still be ok if dad's "official" address was still PA, for example, had a PA residence but was in a nursing home / care facility in NJ.

Of course, no one but you knows if, for example, your grandfather actually handed the item to you and your dad merely had possession / storage / loan of it ...
    Last edited by BCI Instructor; March 11th, 2009 at 03:49 PM.

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

(Chester County)

It is perfectly legal under NJ law to aquire firearms via inheritance without paperwork provided there are not disqualifications (prohibited persons).

NJSA 2C:58-3. Purchase of Firearms.

j.Firearms passing to heirs or legatees. Notwithstanding any other provision of this section concerning the transfer, receipt or acquisition of a firearm, a permit to purchase or a firearms purchaser identification card shall not be required for the passing of a firearm upon the death of an owner thereof to his heir or legatee, whether the same be by testamentary bequest or by the laws of intestacy. The person who shall so receive, or acquire said firearm shall, however, be subject to all other provisions of this chapter. If the heir or legatee of such firearm does not qualify to possess or carry it, he may retain ownership of the firearm for the purpose of sale for a period not exceeding 180 days, or for such further limited period as may be approved by the chief law enforcement officer of the municipality in which the heir or legatee resides or the superintendent, provided that such firearm is in the custody of the chief law enforcement officer of the municipality or the superintendent during such period.

It is legal to acquire INTERSTATE through inheritance per 18 USC 922(a)(3) without an FFL-

(a) It shall be unlawful—
    (1) for any person—
    (A) except a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer, to engage in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in firearms, or in the course of such business to ship, transport, or receive any firearm in interstate or foreign commerce; or ...

(3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State,
    As others already said there is no issue in Pa.

So as far as the firearm and border crossing there are no issues.

IANAL
    Last edited by tl_3237; March 11th, 2009 at 03:48 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast