Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default New member, new resident, with stupid questions.

Hi all,
    New in town(Willow Grove), and a recent PA. gun owner. Have acquired a few goodies and want to know more about the ownership of firearms in PA, specifically in Montco.

First let me introduce myself. My name is Rich, I'm a knifemaker from Brooklyn NY originally. Moved here last September after having 2 children. We wanted a better quality of life, cleaner air, lower crime, less congestion, etc. Those being the first reasons all for the kids. My own personal reason, was also Gun ownership and the right to carry if so desired.

Coming from NYC, you can't carry squat! The Police regularly refuse licenses to own guns, completely illegally if you go by the 2nd amendment. There's up to a 6 month wait. During which time you can't own the gun you meant to purchase. If you enter the few remaining gun shops, you are assumed to be a Cop. If you are not, you are often given the cold shoulder.

Post 9/11, you can forget about carrying a knife as well. Even though by the letter of the law you may be within your rights. Officers have the right to remove it from your person at their discretion and/or jail you for the evening should they be so inclined.

There are Target licenses, carry licenses(practically impossible to get).On premesis licenses, too many licenses to make it worth your time and that to me is intentional. Your $170. application fee is non refundable even though you technically meet all the requirements and PICS. Should they arbitrarily refuse you, you've lost your money.

There are Lawyers who make a pretty penny working just to get potential gun owners their licenses. Further taking the right out of the citizens own hands.

It's disgusting. So as you can imagine, I am very pleased with PA. so far and with the purchases I have made since being here. I'm a collector by nature, always have been. Coins, Records, stamps, knives, etc, etc, so I plan on enjoying this hobby as long as it lasts.

That's me regarding guns and now my stupid questions.

1. The law sounds vague to me about carrying gun to a range. I know you must carry ammo and the gun seperately if you do not have a license to carry. That is reasonable. However, the carry laws seem to specify that you cannot carry in your car or anywhere if you do not have this license. Is this true? Must I get a license just to go to the range?

2. I know of Wicen's and DVSC ranges as they are probably closest to me. is there anywhere else that is nearer to the Abingon, Willow grove, Hatboro, Jenkintown areas?

3. I went to the local Police station today and asked for the CCW application. I was told to go to Norristown first, then come back to them. Yet, by the local gun shop I was told the opposite. I have also read here that you have to get a card from the local police and then go to NT and then back again? anyone have a difinitive answer to that?

4. Any good Combat oriented instructors/courses available near by?

5. What are the requirements and fees to get your FFL? This is something I am thinking about doing as a part time job. It would compliment my line of work.

6. Final question. Does anyone know the laws regarding knives in Montco? Their carry, ownership, automatics, etc.

Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
    Rich
    www.derespinaknives.com

(Chester County)

Default Re: New member, new resident, with stupid questions.

Welcome to freedom. A good place to start reading is here:: http://www.pafoa.org/law

In reguards to your first question, if you do NOT have a LTCF, you can transport the firearm(s) to and from the range/gunsmith/gun shop unloaded with ammo in a separate container. You must go straight to your destination and straight home afterward.

I can't help with questions 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6. Sorry.

As for my LTCF, I printed out the form available online. Filled it out and went to the county sheriffs office. I paid the fee, they took my picture and 2 weeks later i had my LTCF in hand. They even mailed it to me.

Each county seems to have a different "procedure" even though they are all supposed to be the same. Mont. Co. can take a while from what I've heard.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Luzerne County)

Welcome to Pa.
    Born and raised in NYS myself, although in the outskirts of the Catskill Mtns. More rural than most of E.Pa.

Anyway...

on to your Q's

1) The law is pretty clear. Best bet is to read it.
    18Pa.C.S.6106
    Paragraph (b) is the exceptions, including going to and from the range. Firearm must be unloaded per the 6102 definition.

2) Not my locale, someone more local can help with that hopefully.

3) You apply for your LTCF at your county sheriff. Not the police station.
    Ref: 18Pa.C.S.6109(b)

4) There are a number of places to obtain training. I suggest starting with basic handgun and safety classes and then working into more advanced self defense and tactics classes.
    Hellertown, (Hellertown Sportsmans Association) and Harrisburg (west shore sportsmans) are two clubs that hold a wide variety of classes. Surely others will post more links as well.

5) I would recommend doing a serach here on PAFOA. There are a few threads on this. You must run a business and meet all township codes and zoning before ATF will consider issuing a FFL.

6) Not my locale, someone more local can help with that hopefully.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Montgomery County)

Welcome to the area!

2) Probably the closest (indoor) range to you is about 15-20 min @
    Classic Pistol in Southampton: http://www.classicpistol.com Rough directions: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...num=1&ct=title . It's a nice place. A bunch of us "qualified" there for a Utah permit course.
    If you are looking for a club you might take a look at Langhorne Rod and Gun: http://www.langhornerodandgunclub.org/ or Bucks County Fish and Game: http://bcfg.org/bucks-county-fish-game-home.html

4) I'm not sure if this meets you definitiion, but there is a NRA Personal Protection In and Outside the Home course starting May at Classic Pistol: http://forum.pafoa.org/training-cour...side-home.html. I believe Langhorne Rod and Gun has an Action Pistol group so probably some training available there.

This may also interest you: http://forum.pafoa.org/training-cour...ns-course.html.

(Chester County)

Thanks fellas for all the links and info! I will read it thoroughly you can be sure.
    www.derespinaknives.com

Welcome to Montco!

As for #3, each county does it differently. In Montco you have go to to Norristown to pick up the paperwork. Then take the filled out paperwork to your local PD to have them sign off on the "check card" included with the paperwork. Then take all of that back to Norristown to the Sheriff's office to get your license. I've heard some PDs keep copies of the applications, but they aren't required so it is hit or miss.

There are a couple threads regarding Montco LTCF in this subforum.

~ Derek
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9206&dateline=1225911  268

(Perry County)

Derespina, Pa. Patriot has done a really nice job of putting together a pamphlet on OC and CC laws and info for the state of PA:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...carry-you.html
    It is the attachment at the bottom of the first post. I recommend taking a look through it, I found it really clarified a few of my misconceptions and I've lived in PA all my life...
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Lackawanna County)

welcome to the forum, and welcome to PA. i'm also a NYC refugee (the Bronx), and a fan of your work! i'm on the JD forum, as well.

(Venango County)

STUPID QUESTIONS!!!!!!

only the one you don't ask....

Welcome to freedom Well....freerdom anyway
    Last edited by markheck1; March 11th, 2009 at 12:27 PM.

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Chester County)

Hey thanks a million guys! I printed out PA Patriots flyer, it has just about all I could ask on it, very good resource and I will carry it with me just in case.

Thanks as well for the welcomes! It is greatly appreciated.

jahwarrior72, thanks bro! Do you use the same name on JD?

take care
    R
    www.derespinaknives.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast