Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Flintlock Long Rifles

I wanted to check out this organization because of the news at the legislature...I'm interested in the legacy of the PA Long rifle; replicas and antiques , as well as learning to shoot, and PA pioneers helping the cause in the 1770s

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Flintlock Long Rifles

Lots of good muzzle loading data can be found here.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/index.php

Guy
    We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

George Orwell

I PM'd you earlier with a link, here's the first target I ever shot at with a Traditions PA rifle. Flint, .50 cal, 1:66 twist, 0.490" patched round ball.

Dot in center of target is exactly 1" diameter. All images are hotlinked.

Also make sure you have patch lube/cleaning solvent (ie, Hoppes 9 plus), worm, jag & bullet puller BEFORE heading out to the range. If you're using a Traditions PA rifle, the ramrod is already threaded 10x32 for accessories. I suggest using a dedicated range rod for pulling stuck bullets, and swabbing the bore between shots to reduce the likelihood of a stuck bullet. The bores are tight and the effects of fouling are immediately evident.

Since PA longrifles are muzzleloaders (read:non-firearm from a legal definition), it'll be a while before the elected & misinformed cast their greedy gaze upon the smokepole enthusiasts.

Last edited by PA Rifleman; April 24th, 2007 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Typos

(Bucks County)

Thanks people...really getting into Living History, especially interested in the "Bucks County School" style...obviously. Dixie G W seems like a good site

Quote Originally Posted by Lfod View Post
    ... especially interested in the "Bucks County School" style...obviously. Dixie G W seems like a good site
    Also see Dixon's.

My buddy has actually been building guns in the "Lancaster" County style. I had a ball in his shop. Not only do I love the guns, but the history behind them is fabulous. If you want to appreciate these guns, get a copy of the video, "The Gunsmith of Williamsburg" featuring master gunsmith Carl Gusler. Dude makes a muzzleloader from scratch with limited tools. I will post some of my buddies guns with his permission.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    ... get a copy of the video, "The Gunsmith of Williamsburg" featuring master gunsmith Carl Gusler. Dude makes a muzzleloader from scratch with limited tools. ...
    Are you referring to Wallace Gusler? Sage advice, but long out of print the last time I checked. If it's any indication, the last run was on VHS. I picked up a copy in Williamsburg around 1988-89. I made a doomsday archive copy on DVD, which works better than the VHS. To watch for a copy, check Amazon or Google. Click here for a list of resources, to view it in original context, go to

http://mysite.verizon.net/rjdavis1986/paday/paday.htm

then "Outline" in left margin, scroll down to bottom and click on Page 5.

FYI: Wallace Gusler researched early gunmaking in the Americas and resurrected the process of entirely handmaking rifles. His video was actually a commercially produced film made in 1969, and played more or less continuously in the Colonial Williamsburg visitor center. As of the 1980s, the Williamsburg Gunsmith(s) will make a rifle for you using this technique, but prices in excess of $20k are common.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by PA Rifleman; April 24th, 2007 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Wallace bio

Sorry about the brain fart. Wallace is correct. The video amazes me every time I watch it.
    Jules

(Bucks County)

The place to go is 'Dixion's Gunmakers' Faire', the 3rd weekend in July. The Faire is in Kempton PA, if you are in Bucks County like me then its about 1.5- 2 hour drive from you, west of Allentown off of Rte 78 at the 737(?) Kutztown exit before you get to Cabela's. There's re-enactors, trekers, history buffs, authors, lots of custom muzzleloading gunmakers, horners, bladesmiths, leatherworkers and clothiers.

You will definately find a group that can help you there.
    C & R License Holder, Delaware Valley Fish & Game Assoc,
    Penna Rifle & Pistol Assoc, Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society, and NRA Lifetime Member.

(Lancaster County)

This is my passion.

And I'll second Dixon's Gun Makers Fair. If you don't see it there then you don't need it.
    Also the Muzzle Loading Forum is a great place for information.