Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default .380 Ammo in Harrisburg area?

I'm most likely going to be picking up a .380 after work tonight. Anyone know any places in the HBG area that have .380 ammo in stock? The guy is giving me a box of self defense rounds, so I"m really just looking for target loads.
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: .380 Ammo in Harrisburg area?

I know it's hard to find out my way, The guy at the gun shop says the mfgrs slowed production om .380 and other "unpopular calibers" to ramp up production of the "more popular stuff" to meet the recent demand.

Good luck in your search!

................ZRT Sector 1 Waterborne Operations & Sniper Unit.................

(Butler County)

You might consider http://georgia-arms.com/search.aspx?find=.380

I have ordered .380 and .30 Carbine from them.

contact Jim @ Heverling's Gunshop in Campbelltown 838-5952
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Delaware County)

You just have to keep checking walmart all the time. I just got 500 rounds of .380 tonight at my local walmart.

(Perry County)

If you don't mind me asking, does anyone know what a decent price for the American Eagle red box is? I paid $19.94 or something for a box of 50 where we did the transfer just to have some on hand in case I get a chance to slip to the range tonight or tomorrow night. Is this a decent price? It seemed a bit high to me at $0.40/round, but I dunno..... If it is a decent price, it is certainly convenient enough - less than a mile away from my house. Wally World or any "big store" is a good 1/2 hour by comparison.

(Chester County)

Cool Re: .380 Ammo in Harrisburg area?

Quote Originally Posted by imp81318 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, does anyone know what a decent price for the American Eagle red box is? I paid $19.94 or something for a box of 50 where we did the transfer just to have some on hand in case I get a chance to slip to the range tonight or tomorrow night. Is this a decent price? It seemed a bit high to me at $0.40/round, but I dunno..... If it is a decent price, it is certainly convenient enough - less than a mile away from my house. Wally World or any "big store" is a good 1/2 hour by comparison.

You may want to think about reloading .380's. I use a Dillon 550B press, Montana Gold 95 gr JHP bullets, 3.1 grains W231, and WSP primers. You can shoot 2 inch groups with this load at 7 yds, which is about as far as you'd want to reach with a .380. Once the cost of the reloading press is full amortized, and if you already have the brass, the per unit reloading cost is around .10 - .12 per round (roughly 7 cents per bullet, 3 cents per primer, 1 cent per powder), depending on the size of your purchases for reloading components.

While some may correctly believe that reloading isn't any cheaper over the short-term because of the initial investment you have to make in the reloading press (progressive is the only way to go), dies, caliber conversion kits, bulk powder, primers, brass, tumbler, tumbler media, etc., it certainly affords you the luxury of shooting more frequently and at a much lower cost per round over the long term.

Hope this helps and whatever you decide, be safe and have lots of fun.

See you at the range...

I haven't seen a lot on the shelves (if at all). The American Eagle stuff (last I saw it) was running $16.95 a box...but $20 for having it in hand is A-OK.

(Beaver County)

WHen I was at John Brown's Armory in Rochester PA he said that he was having trouble getting his hands on ANY .380 rounds of any kind

(Perry County)

bamboomaster, I've thought about reloading before, but I don't know that I really shoot enough to make it worth while. I mean, I could reload for my .357, .380, and .30-30, but I just don't know that it'd be worth it for me - I might buy 2 or 3 boxes of ammo a year right now. Now, if I start hitting the range more frequently like I'd like to, then I will certainly reconsider my decision.. Just for the basics to get into reloading, starting from scratch, any idea of total cost I'd be looking at for equipment and stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by joe15003 View Post
    WHen I was at John Brown's Armory in Rochester PA he said that he was having trouble getting his hands on ANY .380 rounds of any kind
    Joe, the local guy that I bought my ammo from told me the exact same thing. He said that when his rep had called him, he was talking in terms of have "X number of boxes" available rather than "Y number of cases", and I forget the numbers, but I don't think it was even a full case...

On the plus side though, I did find a second guy that has the same stuff in stock for $17.xx/50 count, so at least I have 2 places to check within a minute from my house...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast