Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default where can you shoot?

I been going to ranges but they been a little full. I was woundering if you could set targets up an shoot in the woods, ect. I know you cannot shoot on privite property. But, I heard you can target shoot anywhere you can legally hunt. If so does it matter if its a handgun or a long gun, Or any limits?

thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: where can you shoot?

If it's not private property than I guess it would have to be state game lands. If so, check their website. I'm not up on their requirements because I don't use them.

As for as private property ... check out this thread:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/question-answ...-property.html
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Cumberland County)

I will check in on it. I either go to the range. Or to my uncles to shoot on his farm land. Little setup where he shoots his guns. But, I think he is getting tired of seeing me at his house lol.

Thanks Ill check into that

(Dauphin County)

You can shoot on private property if you have the permission of the landowner, and there are no local ordinances about discharging a firearm.

As to shooting on state game lands, do not do it, unless you are shooting at an official shooting range. When I got my first handgun, before I belonged to a club, I was shooting at a former game lands range that hadn't been used for years. The signs that are posted are vague, and can be read to say that it is OK to shoot if you do so safely, but that is not how the State applies the law. They say that it is only legal to shoot at official ranges (although I'm not sure how you hunt on game lands without being allowed to shoot, and most target shooting is inherently safer than any shot you can take while hunting).

Anyway, after about 15-20 shots, I turned around with my gun empty, and there stood a game officer. He asked me if my gun was empty, told me to holster it, and come over to him. We had a breif discussion and disagreement about the legality of shooting on game lands. He won , of course (from what I understand, these guys are like little Hitlers), and issued a citation.

I decided to fight it, and sent in a not guilty plea. A court date was set to appear before the magistrate. Three days before the date, I received a notice that the charges had been "withdrawn". I asked what this meant, and the woman at the magistrtates office told me (rather rudely, as if I was already a convicted criminal) its over and done with.

Well, after a few weeks, I recieved another citation. It seems the charges had been re-filed, and a new date set that was more convenient for the game officer. I figured at that point I had no chance to win, so I just plead guilty, and paid the fine ($150).

If you shoot on game lands, you do it at your own risk, and it seems those guys just pop up out of nowhere, like they are "big brother" always watching you.

(Cumberland County)

Yeah, I dont understand you cant shoot at a target but you can kill animals. As long as you clean up your shells I dont see why there would be a problem. But, Ill take your word for it. I dont want any of them problems. But, in the middle of the woods shooting at a target into a bank. I dont understand why you cannot shoot there.

But, I guess I will continue shooting at range or on my uncles farm land.

Thanks

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 40 cal View Post
    Yeah, I dont understand you cant shoot at a target but you can kill animals. As long as you clean up your shells I dont see why there would be a problem. But, Ill take your word for it. I dont want any of them problems. But, in the middle of the woods shooting at a target into a bank. I dont understand why you cannot shoot there.

But, I guess I will continue shooting at range or on my uncles farm land.

Thanks
    hey man if you ever want to shoot let me know.i know a Little place in hunts dale with a privet rang full of steel targets.i can use any time i feel the need . and I'm shore he would let me bring you up their.

(Butler County)

The best thing to do is to find a sportsmen's club in your area. The facilities many of these places have are quite nice for what is often a small membership fee.

If you strike up a conversation with an employee or the owner of your local gun store and ask about clubs in the area they can usually give you good advice.

My experience with the state game lands ranges is that they're a good place to get shot. They are free so they don't always draw the sharpest tools in the shed so to speak. Lots of really poor muzzle discipline in those places...and that's just for starters. However, if you get there on a day where there's no one else around they're just fine.

In reference to your original question, it's best to consult your city/township/town etc. to get a definitive answer.

(Centre County)

I agree with what has been already written however if you want you can check out the Pa. Game Commission site (www.pgc.state.pa.us). I don't have time to find exactly what it says about random shooting but I am sure I have seen in Booklet that comes with your Hunting License a section that specifies the law.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brandon