Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default my FIRST sig purchase :)

so, I am planning on picking up my first SIG on Saturday.

It is a SAO P220 with a rail (in black stainless/ with 2 mags )

I have found several tips on what to look for when buying used (not CPO) SIG's, but any important things to check for are always welcome.

The problem I am having is that it is a SAO, and the grip options seem to be in short supply. I can't find any alternatives to the stock black plastics (and I don't want wood on a black gun).

Can anyone point me in the direction of a new set of grips for the P220R SAO???

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by jachrist; March 9th, 2009 at 11:34 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: my FIRST sig purchase :)

I have the same weapon. The SAO grips are different than the standard P220 ones. I like the factory setup, but I believe I read elsewhere that Hogue may be putting together some grips that will work with the SAO pistols. I believe their aluminum series may already have an option out for it. And the rubber hogues should be following soon. Until then you may be stuck with the factory panels short of custom woodwork. Only thing some early SAO P220's had was safety lever failure. The lever would appear to be engaged and the weapon could still fire. The newer models have a very hard and audible CLICK when the safety engages. The older ones had a safety whose engagement felt "soft" and would "sag" a little to the off position, the safety would be just slightly disengaged and pulling the trigger would knock it all the way off and fire the weapon. Sig reportedly fixed this issues pretty quick though and is no longer an issue with any of the SAO weapons in the last couple years. I experienced this firsthand after jumping on a first run P220 SAO back when they came out.